Download.com Site Feedback

Question

"get updates" button doesn't work

by janby51 / December 22, 2011 5:06 AM PST

Today I deleted the old version of Tech Tracker to download the new version. Download went great but "Get Updates" button doesn't work. I use Internet Explorer and Windows 7. It says I have 9 updates that need to be done. Please help and use simple non tech language... a hand drawn map would be helpful (grins).

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "get updates" button doesn't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "get updates" button doesn't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by dbush / December 28, 2011 8:55 PM PST

I was having this same problem. Turns out you have to be logged in to CNet for this to work. The best way is to go to CNet, enter your name and password and save the log in on the browser so that you will be automatically logged in the next time the browser opens. Then launch CNet tracker and it should open the update page.

Collapse -
Get Updates button
by jack71347 / February 15, 2012 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Log In 1st

I can't find the "Get Updates" button on my CNET techtracker. Where is it? Thanks

Collapse -
Missing "Get Updates" button
by CNETSupport / February 22, 2012 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Get Updates button

Hi jack71347,

Unfortunately, some Mac users are currently unable to see the "Get Updates" button after performing a manual scan with TechTracker; we are aware of this issue and hope to have it fixed in a future release. In the meanwhile, you should be able to access your CNET TechTracker "My Software" page by going directly to http://www.cnet.com/techtracker/ and logging in with the email address associated with your account. If that still does not take you straight to your list of available updates, click on your username (jack71347) in the upper right side of the page and then click the "TechTracker" link on the next page, and that should do it.

I apologize for the inconvenience here, and appreciate your patience.

Regards,
Jen
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Does Not Work
by keithandjoan / February 23, 2012 1:28 AM PST

Sorry to tell you, but nothing you have suggested works. I have logged on but it still won't work. How you went from fully functioning to not working at all is a mystery to me. I now have to go to the product website and download from there.

Collapse -
Get Updates button missing and manual log in to CNET (mac)
by V2_D2-2385052410162599311 / April 21, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

I can't seem to get logged in to CNET using my Facebook account any more. I have tried to log in using my email and password too, but it never reflects that I am logged in. It looks just the same as it did before I log in. The Activity tab keeps downloading Skype and Microsoft Messanger even after I install it from the download. Keeps downloading the same thing. I uninstalled from my mac and reinstalled TechTracker and it keeps doing the same thing. It gives me a list of 10 updates from the 39 being tracked and I can't get the software to download or take me any place to get the updates. It pops up every day and then does nothing to help me. I see that Mac users are having issues, but it is 4-21 and the post was from 2-22. Two months is entirely too long, I need a fix.

I typically use Chrome to log into everything. It use to work in Chrome. I have Safari and Firefox installed too, same issue. I have a PC with the same browsers and it seems to log me in and out right away.

Regards,
Vito Damiano

Mac OS X Server ver 10.6.8
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Collapse -
Logging in is no longer required for TechTracker
by CNETSupport / April 24, 2012 4:35 AM PDT

Hi Vito,

Last week, we made some changes to the TechTracker service, such that logging in to the site is no longer required in order to view your scan results on your CNET TechTracker My Software page. Of course, we will be happy to troubleshoot your login issues, but despite them, you should still be able to use TechTracker and view your scan results online at this time.

If you do not see the "Get Updates" button, you can click the "Home" icon in the top left corner of the TechTracker application window (right beside the "Check" (scan) icon). This should take you right to your CNET TechTracker My Software page without requiring you to log in.

Since there seem to be some other underlying issues going on in your case, however, you might want to perform a clean install of TechTracker. This process includes a hard refresh of your browser, which might help with the login issue too.

If you do want to try the clean install, first move all of the following items to the Trash (or at least all of those that you locate on your machine):

~/Library/Application Support/TechTracker/Installed Software
~/Library/Application Support/TechTracker/state
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.cnet.ttengine.plist
~/Library/PreferencePanes/TechTracker.prefPane
~/Library/Preferences/TechTracker.pref
~/Library/Preferences/com.cnet.techtracker.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.cnet.ttengine.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.techtracker.Uninstaller.plist
/Applications/CNET TechTracker/CNET TechTracker[.app/Contents/MacOS/CNET TechTracker]
/Library/TechTracker/TTEngine[.app/Contents/MacOS/TTEngine]
/Library/Receipts/cnetTechtracker.pkg
/Library/Receipts/cnetTechtrackerPostflight.pkg
/Library/Receipts/comcnetttengine.pkg
/Library/Receipts/techtracker.pkg
/Library/Receipts/ttengine.pkg
/Library/Receipts/ttnotifier.pkg
/Library/TechTracker/TTEngine.app/
/Applications/CNET TechTracker.app/

Then, restart your machine and empty the Trash. That should ensure that all traces of TechTracker are gone from your computer.

Next, perform a hard refresh of your default browser, per the following steps:

1. Clear your default browser's cache and cookies (at least all of those pertaining to the following domains: cnet.com, com.com, and download.com).

2. Completely exit/close out of all running instances of that browser.

3. Re-open the browser and download TechTracker from this location:

http://www.cnet.com/techtracker-free

Once you have installed TechTracker, run another scan and click the "Get Updates" button or the "Home" icon to go straight to your CNET TechTracker page.

If you experience any further trouble with logging in to the site and/or using TechTracker, please contact us directly through our support site so we may more efficiently assist you:

1. Go to http://cnet.custhelp.com
2. Click on the "E-mail Support" tab.
3. Enter the e-mail address associated with your CNET TechTracker account.
4. Fill in the "Subject" and "Details" section with a description of your query or issue.
5. From the "Category" drop-down menu, choose the "CNET TechTracker" option.
6. Click the "Continue..." button.
7. Be sure to click the "Finish Submitting Question" button if none of the suggested links in the pop-up window help resolve your issue.

Regards,
Jen
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Get Updates button
by dbush / February 26, 2012 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Get Updates button

When I launch CNET Techtracker (Windows version) the "Get Updates" buttons shows up right in the middle of the pop-up screen just above the black line below which is the "last scan" <date> and "next scan" <date>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.