Windows 7

General discussion

get rid of (dead links to) mapped network drives?

by theokari / November 4, 2009 11:39 PM PST

Hello,

I mapped 3 partitions from my old notebook to transfer data more easyly to my new system. I needed them a few days so I mapped them for reconnect on system startup. Now, without the network and the old notebook, I don't need them any more. But when I click on release network drive I get the message that it "Can't proceed cause of invalid network connection".

How can I get a work around, because I want to remove the network drives because I don't have the network connection and the drives any more!

tried NET USE L: /d but this didn't work either cause of invalid network connection.

Of course I can live with the dead links in the explorer, but now when I plug in a USB drive in, it get mapped to the drive letter already assigned for the network drive. Do to this I can acess only a few folders on this drive, the rest is inacassible do to ... you all can guess ... "invalid network connection!"

OK! I know I can give the USB drive another drive letter manually, but why should I? I want the dead network links removed from my view.
How can I accomplish this?

Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: get rid of (dead links to) mapped network drives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: get rid of (dead links to) mapped network drives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dead end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 11:48 PM PST

No results found for "Can't proceed because of invalid network connection" or when I used the word "cause".

Can you share the exact message?

Collapse -
Messages ...
by theokari / November 5, 2009 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Dead end.

it's Windows 7 RTM 64bit german.

I transfered my data over cable but now I'm connected over wlan.

By click on remove mapped network drive in explorer window I get:
"Diese Netzwerkverbindung ist nicht vorhanden."
=> This network-connection does not exist

Over the dialog release mapped network drives:
"Die Verbindung zwischen L: und konnte nicht getrennt werden, weil ein Fehler aufgetreten ist: Diese Netzwerkverbindung sit nicht vorhanden."
=> The connection between L: and could not be disconnected, because an error occured: This network-connection does not exist

Over admin console using "NET USE l: /d" i get the message:
"Die Netzwerkverbindung konnte nicht gefunden werden."
=> Couldn't find this network connection

I don't have this connection any more, and neither the mapped drives and I'm using a different network adapter. All this is the reason while I want to remove the letters in my explorer window (and from the system)

Collapse -
Odd. Why RTM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: Messages ...

RTM, from what I'm encountering are all pirate cracked versions. This has lead to us reload retail versions which don't have such errors.

Collapse -
No its valid
by theokari / November 5, 2009 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Odd. Why RTM?

it's the Version direct from MSDNAA including valid, licenced and registrated key from MS.

Collapse -
It's build 7600
by theokari / November 5, 2009 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Odd. Why RTM?

maybe it helps and I might be wrong with the RTM i thought this was in the naming of the image I downloaded last week.

Collapse -
Then tap the MSDN support channel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: It's build 7600

I'm still thinking there is something different with those images. MSDN has its own support world you paid for. Why not use them?

Collapse -
Re: network connection is not available
by Kees Bakker / November 5, 2009 5:45 PM PST
In reply to: Messages ...

Seems simple.

1. First connect the laptop, so it's available.
2. Then remove the drive letter if you don't need it anymore.

But you say you don't have it anymore? Then probably you'll need to use regedit to undo the mapping. Might need some experimenting to find out where exactly it's stored.
I find the example in http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14516 very helpful already.

It's comparable more or less with ODBC access to a SQL-server database. Normally, you manage those via the GUI (odbcad32). But it's perfectly feasible to do it directly in the registry, via a .reg file or a vbs-script.
That seems to be the case here also.

Kees

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Error Message ... (2250)
by theokari / November 5, 2009 5:12 PM PST
In reply to: Dead end.

Hi, I totaly forgot to give you the error number.
When I call it over commandline the error number is 2250.

I asked the question in the MSDN forum too, but there I got only silence so far! So why shouldn't I try other resources?

Thanks a lot,

T.

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 7:34 PM PST

But MSDN include telephone support too. You paid dearly for it and I find many don't use it.

Hope you understand that the MSDN images are supposed to work the same but the ones I'm running into are not behaving like the retail copy. The issue is growing as people pirate that MSDN item and demand support.
Bob

Collapse -
Registry time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 8:05 PM PST
Collapse -
the are finally gone ...
by theokari / November 5, 2009 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: Registry time.

Thanks,

found the keys and deleted the entries.
In addition I searched for the IP-address in regitry and removed them as well.

Now, after a reboot the obscure drive letters are gone.

Thanks for your help,

T.

Collapse -
Found where they hide.
by Atemycat / May 24, 2010 10:50 AM PDT

Had a bunch of former drives showing up so I attacked them in the registry. Open regedit to
HKLM
SYSTEM
services
LanmanServer
Shares
The keys for the former drives are there. Delete the ones that don't
exist and they won't show up on the network anymore.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.