Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

General discussion

Get In Line For Obamaphone! Keep it, Sell it!

by James Denison / June 19, 2013 / 7:16 AM UTC
Hurray for public assistance the new Obama way.

"Hidden camera catches wireless company employees passing out 'Obama
phones' to people who say they'll SELL them for drugs, shoes, handbags
and spending cash. The biggest beneficiary other than
low-income consumers is billionaire Carlos Slim Helu, whose TracFone has
collected $1.5 BILLION to date.Lifeline was a $2.19 billion program in 2012."
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Get In Line For Obamaphone! Keep it, Sell it!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Get In Line For Obamaphone! Keep it, Sell it!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Been going on for a while
by Diana Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 / 1:23 PM UTC
Collapse -
for landlines, but
by James Denison / June 19, 2013 / 3:52 PM UTC

then in came the cellphones which are mobile and sellable, and now it's a boondoggle.

Collapse -
ROTFL
by Pepe7 / June 20, 2013 / 1:04 PM UTC
In reply to: for landlines, but

What, you might get $2 on fleabay for the pitiful 'free' handsets in that program. The boondoggle is the bloated Pentagon, no thanks to Bush for getting that ball rolling.

This is the kind of crap my 75 yr old dad's republitard friends forward him via email. Congrats- you sir, have just joined that club(!)

Collapse -
No the boondoggle is Obamacare
by TONI H / June 21, 2013 / 3:09 AM UTC
In reply to: ROTFL

thanks to BO, Pelosi (you have to pass it to see what's in it), and Reid.........it will cost Americans trillions over and above anything the Pentagon costs, and two wars will be over but Obamacare will roll on until Republicans eventually repeal the whole thing and not just try to 'fix' it as it snowballs. The sad part for Dems is that they KNOW it will be repealed because they won't be able to hold the House and Senate and the WH forever, but they are hoping that Obamacare will be so entrenched by then that it won't be able to be picked apart.........but even Dems are looking at the program in a whole new light and only the far left leaners (the die hards like Schumer) are still defending it openly.

Collapse -
(NT) What if SSI were repealed?
by Willy / June 21, 2013 / 6:33 AM UTC
Collapse -
(NT) Maybe Medicare - isn't that worse than Obamacare?
by Diana Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 / 9:47 AM UTC
Collapse -
Well...what to do
by Willy / June 21, 2013 / 6:46 AM UTC

Patient needs new heart valve and the military wants a new missile. So, what are you going to do, save an American citizen(s) or save citizens with a defense shield. Maybe, that citizen has a family member in the military and declines heart valve in order for military to have it, but family member returns and finds out why heart patient died, then commits suicide, MAYBE.

Like all govt. pgms. Obamacare will get tweaked to work as effectively as possible. If not and nothing to replace it or keep the status quo, just what if left. Already far too many citizens get dumped out of the system and/or receive less than anything, in effective we've created a "class society" embedded in concrete. Woo if you fall outside of anything worthwhile now. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
You're dreaming......
by TONI H / June 21, 2013 / 8:12 AM UTC
In reply to: Well...what to do

it took a Federal Court judge to do what the cold blooded head of HHS refused to do even though it was within her authority.......give a set of lungs to a 10-year old little girl. She was perfectly willing to let her die rather than make a simple 'tweak'........

Collapse -
(NT) That was terrible
by Diana Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 / 9:48 AM UTC
In reply to: You're dreaming......
Collapse -
(NT) Where do you get trillions?
by Diana Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 / 9:46 AM UTC
Collapse -
From his own CBO......last month
by TONI H / June 21, 2013 / 12:02 PM UTC
Collapse -
Whose to blame here?
by Willy / June 21, 2013 / 6:37 AM UTC

Blame Obama that some co. passes out cellphones that they brought to give out. It would seem "at that instance" it's not the Lifeline pgm. fault but the cell co. fault for that action or wrongful action of those employees at least. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
the companies are reimbursed
by James Denison / June 21, 2013 / 8:18 AM UTC
In reply to: Whose to blame here?

did you miss understanding that part?

Collapse -
Procedure followed...
by Willy / June 21, 2013 / 6:48 PM UTC

Those that get the cellphones are suppose to fill out some form and apply. It would seem that the co. short-changed that form filling, so who is to blame? Again, I refer to my earlier post as the co. seems to be bypassing the proper procedure. What am I leaving out or rather the co. doing is not the proper way of getting this done. they may get reimbursed but after they more than likely filled the form and passed it on. There's no legitimate reason for doing what they were doing as in all likely they bypassed the system as it was intended. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
That sounds like eliminating food stamps
by Diana Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 / 9:53 AM UTC

because some people abuse the system.

When I was a cashier at a grocery store, I saw a lot of people with food stamps and WIC. Most of them stretched them as much as possible with sales and coupons. There were a few (very few) that had hundreds of dollars in food stamps and bought lobster and steaks. I often wondered if these were foster parents. Never was allowed to ask.

So some people abuse the system, so all should be condemned?

Diana

Collapse -
those with many foodstamps
by James Denison / June 21, 2013 / 11:11 AM UTC

during that time were those who had paid half or less their cash value to others wanting to sell the stamps they got. So, all the children who were supposed to have enough food to eat, ended up without while the parent sold the stamps and then used for drugs, booze, or some other purchases instead of food for the kids. I believe that's why the school free breakfast and then later lunch programs were started, it circumvented the foodstamps which weren't feeding the children.

Collapse -
From what I can gather, the term "Obamaphone"
by Steven Haninger / June 21, 2013 / 1:35 PM UTC

is a misnomer. It's said to have morphed from a program instituted during Bill Clinton's administration and carried to this date. Originally it was for land lines and is financed for by a surcharge on the bills of paying customers. I can see the charge on the bill for my land line. Apparently the subsidy was added to cover cell phones sometime just before Obama was elected for his first term but the free phones were made available later. I know that, in other areas where government subsidies exist, there are strict rules and monitoring methods in place to make sure folks adhere to the rules. I can't see a reason why monitoring of free phones for potential fraud wouldn't also be justified. It should be easy enough to track the use of such devices and bust offenders if government cared to do it. I expect that one reason, other than privacy complaints, would be the cost of a monitoring plan but I expect that the political cost would be the greater deterrent.

Collapse -
Maybe they could hire
by TONI H / June 21, 2013 / 1:56 PM UTC

another 16,000 IRS employees to track that illegal business like they will be tracking and fining non-participating civilians for Obamacare along with penalizing and fining businesses that are under-reporting the number of full time employees they have or have too little or too much insurance coverage that isn't in compliance with what is being now dictated instead of what employees need and/or want.

Collapse -
wireless vs landline
by James Denison / June 21, 2013 / 4:07 PM UTC

the wireless phones are Obamaphones.

Collapse -
So they've been called but
by Steven Haninger / June 21, 2013 / 5:56 PM UTC
In reply to: wireless vs landline
Collapse -
From what I understood
by TONI H / June 22, 2013 / 6:19 AM UTC

about the original program, they were intended for people who had either lost their jobs and needed a way to communicate when searching for jobs because their landlines were disconnected or for the very poor who needed them for emergencies which was why the minutes were so limited..........and BO, as usual, vastly expanded the program to fit his agenda for garnering voters with free stuff.

Collapse -
Then this site's information is incorrect?
by Steven Haninger / June 22, 2013 / 6:42 AM UTC
In reply to: From what I understood
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2012/02/12/are-taxpayers-paying-for-free-cell-phones/

It could well be that this administration did the same as it did with food stamps by encouraging qualified persons who didn't have the "Obamaphones" to sign up for them. I could believe that. I could also believe such would be done for political reasons rather than just to offer unconditional assistance to low income people. This president, not unlike others or Oval Office wanabes, knows who his voting base is and knows how to get them to the polls. Politics is devious and becoming more so...no doubt about it, but I don't think it's a good idea for either side to misrepresent what is truth. Obama didn't initiate the program but he sure seems to have benefited from having his name attached to it.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon