PC Applications

General discussion

Get google desktop not to run at start up

by mike868y / May 23, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

I have google desktop installed on xp sp2. When i log on, it runs automatically, and slows down the log on process. Is there any way to make it so that i have to manually launch it before it will start? I'm sure its in the prefrences, but i cant find it!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Get google desktop not to run at start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Get google desktop not to run at start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Through system configuration utility.
by CJKrause / May 27, 2007 2:37 AM PDT

click on start->run->type msconfig->click startup->uncheck googledesktop ->apply->ok.

you can control all the programs that startup on booting your pc in this manner.uncheck all the unnecessary programs to decrease startup time.

Collapse -
Using msconfig to stop programs
by c.b.mullen / June 2, 2007 8:28 AM PDT

I would advise against using msconfig for the purpose of stopping startup programs. It is not the best way to go about it.

Instead, I would use Windows Defender if you have it or I would use Process Explorer. You can also use Task Manager. All of these methods are much better and safer than using msconfig.

You do not have to accept this advice. Do some research into the matter and you will understand why I suggest these other methods.

In any event, I do not use desktop search programs from any source. They collect too much information about your browsing habits and they keep it in their databanks for a very long period. You must keep in mind that any search engine retains information about your browsing habits and it is available to law enforcement agencies and government agencies for the asking. If you think your privacy is protected in America you are sadly mistaken.

I have nothing to hide and I do nothing of an illegal nature on the internet. However, what I do online is my business and my business only.

Collapse -
Why?
by CJKrause / June 3, 2007 1:53 AM PDT

why do you think using msconfig is not safe?

Collapse -
msconfig?
by mopscare42 / June 3, 2007 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Why?

I have used msconfig to stop startup programs for years without any problems.
It is possible to cause problems by stopping the wrong programs.
Write down all the programs in startup and then go to goolgle and make sure your system doesn't need them to run correctly. Uncheck the ones you don't need.

Collapse -
You lost me
by mark04276 / June 3, 2007 9:00 AM PDT

Windows defender is Microsofts anti- spyware program

Process explorer is a program that will show you what dlls are being used

Task manager will let you kill a process when it is running, but isnt very good for start-up programs during boot up.

Msconfig is much better than any of the above.

Personally I use a free utility called WinPatrol which will let you just disable a program but keep it in the list, then you can check it off again if you need it. This program also monitors any registry changes being made and protects you from Internet High Jacking.

Collapse -
disable services
by microbabydad / June 4, 2007 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: You lost me

msconfig can be used to stop services from running during boot. It has a pretty simple interface allowing you to see many different things in a tabbed interface. As was previously mentioned, you can also stop critical system services, keeping parts of the system from working properly or even stopping anything form working at all. Extreme care must be used when disabling any of the listed services.

That said, there are better ways to approach control of the services. The most direct way is to go to start, run, type "services.msc" in the box and hit enter. This will open the list of all services on your system, a description of each (most of the time), the current status, and what started it if it has been started. You can then change the properties for each service, including controlling the way it can start (automatic, manual, or disabled). If you don't want a service to start during boot, set it for disabled. You can always go back and change it to something else. The same words of caution apply here: you can disable critical services if you don't know what you're doing.

Using task manager or process explorer will only allow you to stop what is already running. Process explorer is much more informative than task manager, so you can more easily see what processes are associated with what programs or other services.

There are other interfaces such as WinPatrol or Spybot Search & Destroy that allow you to stop certain services from being able to run, re-enable them if desired, or delete them all together.

So there are a lot of tools to accomplish many of the same things. Some are better suited for advanced users, others for more novice users. But no matter what you choose, care is always necessary when disabling a service. There are plenty of forums that will give you advice if you're not sure about something you see in any of these - take advantage of those before you do something you may regret!

One last comment - if you are unsure of some things running on your system, do a scan with HijackThis and submit it to a forum - there are plenty of those forums as well with very experienced users that will give you great advice on problem areas.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.