PC Applications

General discussion

Genie Backup Manager vs Acronis True Image backup software

by lablover / February 3, 2007 7:14 AM PST

Does anyone hane experience with these products? I am looking for a program that backsup data files, email addresses, my Documents, etc, etc.

Based on this site: http://data-backup-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

These two products appear to do what I want. But no phone support!! I can't believe that!!

Comments please.
THANKS!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Genie Backup Manager vs Acronis True Image backup software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Genie Backup Manager vs Acronis True Image backup software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use True Image
by Apsyrtus / February 3, 2007 3:30 PM PST
Collapse -
Re
by Noizxland / February 4, 2007 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: I use True Image
Collapse -
Acronis True Image 10 backup/restore software.
by lablover / February 7, 2007 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re

You guys must be a lot smarter than I am. I have had nothing but trouble with Acronis True Image 10.
Can't get it registered, even though I downloaded from their site.
Tried to back up a small amount of data, My Documents, to the D drive, a dvd -rw device. Will not go there. Keeps trying to create a backup on the C drive.
I've printed the 94 page manual and cannot find how to backup to the D drive.
They have no suggestions of how to start, or where to start. No "HOW TO" section, if you will.

I've contacted my CC company and they have agreed to stop payment of the charge, dur to the software not working as advertised, and poor customer service and support.

I hope this help others considering this product.

Collapse -
Re
by Noizxland / February 8, 2007 2:47 PM PST

well, u're story doesn't look like a real.
U're the first who couldn't register True Image.

quote:<They have no suggestions of how to start, or where to start. No "HOW TO" section, if you will.>
U just click the True Image icon and it starts, there would be window opened with different options (clone, backup, etc).
It's very easy-in-use utility, so no "How To" needed, if we have problems we usually join support team. They reply right away(btw, thx apsyrtus for ur links).

U're problem is single instance, so i believe "others" shouldn't pay much attention to ur post.
Noizxland

Collapse -
The poster's experience is as valid as yours...
by VAPCMD / February 11, 2007 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re
Collapse -
Vote fo Genie
Collapse -
Acronis here
by mark04276 / March 1, 2007 11:11 PM PST

I am a registered user of Acronis. There is nothing complicated about this program. I use it 2 ways. First I have made a complete image of my computer when I had everything installed the way I wanted, in case something should happen to my computer or hard drive. Acronis split this image file up for me to fit on CD's. Even though I partioned my hard drive into multiple partitions, I had it put them on my C:. It immediately warned me that his was not advisable and that I should put it into another drive in case C: got corrupt. I immediately copied these files to my D:\Backups, an external usb hard drive and also to an external network hard drive (done wirelessly). I dont take any chances of loosing these files. I dont actually make cds of these files because I generally make a new image file every 3 months or so, so that way I know that is always my latest best setup.

Second, I use this program to back-up my essential files that change since I made the image, like my documents, my music, etc.

If my computer crashed right now I would be right back to where I am at in about an hour or so. Rebuilding Windows back to where you had it from scratch just sucks and very time consuming. It would probally take me at least 12 hours to do this task without Acronis. And yes, it has saved me 2 times because I thought it would be neat to try something and screwed up my computer (self inflicted, not a virus, lol)

Collapse -
A long time ago...
by edsager / February 12, 2009 8:24 AM PST

I realize this is an old thread, but I have to say that I have used both GBM and Acronis TI and I much prefer the GBM. I have had zero success with restoring an entire hard drive with Acronis. I keep being told that the archive is corrupt, both when restoring and when backing up. Also, with Vista SP1, Acronis TI Home v. 11 keeps crashing the system. My system is fine without it and crashes with it. I have never had that problem with GBM and I am going back to GBM today.

Late with a reply, but better late than never,
edsager

Collapse -
Current experience is always welcome to the subject at hand.
by VAPCMD / February 12, 2009 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: A long time ago...

I use GHOST 2003, 2002 and 2001 and also have Drive Image plus several versions of Acronis.

Success with GHOST 2003 eliminates the necessity to use the others.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Acronis is bug laden
by Lastmboy / March 3, 2009 4:56 AM PST

I was using Acronis for about a year, and had nothing but problems with it. Some of the issues I am attributing to it not being compatible with Vista 64-bit, as it crashes very frequently with a bunch of meaningless messages or transparent windows, and then will not let you close it. In both Vista 32 and 64 bit, you cannot trust the image backup. In both my case and a friend's case, about 50% of the system images it created were corrupt. Trying to restore files from an Acronis archive is painfully slow. It does work for basic data backups better than system images, but it's really slow.

I just recently tried Genie Backup Manager Pro (ver 8), and I couldn't get rid of Acronis quick enough. Genie has a true 64-bit Vista version that actually works (for a system image backup). Navigation is a lot simpler and faster than Acronis, yet it actually has more features than Acronis. It doesn't crash all the time, and you can always see what's it's doing (as opposed to wondering if it us just hung -- Acronis usually looks like it's hung... and often is.

Anyways, my two cents. Even though they claim it is, Acronis is not 64-bit compatible. They don't even have a separate 64-bit installer. After using Genie, I would never go back.

Collapse -
(NT) Always good to hear about a product that works as advertised
by VAPCMD / March 3, 2009 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: Acronis is bug laden
Collapse -
GBM vs Acronis TI Backup
by gloverltd / February 1, 2010 4:37 AM PST

i'm evaluating both these software. Moving from CA Brightstor 11.5 (which has glitches that hangs my server, taking a long time to boot up)
and i like both, but GBM doesn't exclude folders based on wildcards and doesn't have an include folder/files option.

on the other hand, Acronis has exclude folder/files using wildcard, but also doesn't have an include folder/files option.

so i'm starting to lean towards Acronis, but acronis is about $1000 and GBM is about $400

will be installing on windows 2003 Standard server environment
but tested on WindowsXP Pro sp3

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.