Windows 7 forum

general backup question

by bluarcher_2009 / December 18, 2012 12:53 AM PST

I am running windows 7 64bit on a fairly new HP. I backup regularly to a 1TB Toshiba external drive. As drive space regularly decreases with successive backups, I would like to know whether backup drives are occasionally re-formatted to basically "start over" with the whole backup process. I rarely add new programs or games but I do see backup space decreasing steadily. Is this a common practice that is implemented to restore backup drive space?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: general backup question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: general backup question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Don't use the Windows 7 backup program
by wpgwpg / December 18, 2012 12:55 AM PST

I suggest you get away from the Windows backup program and get yourself a good commercial backup program. I've seen forums fraught with problem reports for the Windows one. I know I was very unimpressed when I tried it. Three I'm familiar with and like are Norton Ghost (which I've been using for 8 years without the 1st problem), Easeus Todo Backup Free, which you can download from and Memeo which has a 30 day free trial and you can buy it for $29.99 - you can download it from . You can get Ghost for next to nothing (like I did) if you watch the sales.
The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET. In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed. Like Ghost it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot. See CNET's review of it at;1#editorsreview .
CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at;sideBar .

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 500 GB one for around $60 and a 1 TB one for around $70. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for under $15. It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

I hope this helps. Good luck

Collapse -
Nod to wpgwpg
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 4:13 AM PST

Do not rely on those MSFT backup apps. MSFT keeps trying but it's not reliable enough (well, maybe 99.99%) and even at 99.99% of the time you get the message the day you can't get your files back for any of the old or new reasons.

Look at the ideas put out there and consider simpler SYNC apps such as SyncBack or similar since those save a copy of your files as-is without any proprietary touches or handcuffs.

Collapse -
Also, I my case, I could install a 500GB hard drive to
by DChrisL / December 20, 2012 7:32 AM PST
either in a aluminum case that connects to with 2 USB as an external hard drive, uner How To above. I have that and another option, I have an extender for four extra USB slots already. I will be buying A WD 500GB hard drive and the SATA conectors cost $10. The best part is I can delete the recovery section(D:) and that 2nd drive will be D: - I found one that is perfect! 01/03/13, it is a done deal. that means EVERYTHING on (C:) will be backed up completely on D: Any updates on C: willl have to be added to D: I have NERO Multimedia 12 Suite an it has BackItUp or restore from Backup. Darrell
Collapse -
Darrell is your bold key stuck?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 20, 2012 9:09 AM PST

Please give the bolding of text on all your post a rest.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.