Desktops forum

GeForce 8600GT not detected

by stickman5758 / April 27, 2013 8:11 AM PDT

Recently our monitor was not detecting any input from our computer, so we switched the cable from the GeForce 8600GT to the processor's input.
This caused an issue, where the 8600 was not being detected at all. I could not find a trace of it anywhere.
We were using a VGA monitor cable, but because the input for the 8600GT was a DVI we were using an adaptor, which we presumed had just broke (the processor's input was a VGA).
However, we found a DVI cable, which did not detect a input from the computer when plugged into the 8600GT.
I did notice that the adaptor's output was a DVI-A, but both ends of the DVI cable were DVI-D. Could this be why the monitor is not detecting the input? Or was the adapter DVI-A because it came from a analog socket, so the card should work with DVI-D as well?

So, is the card broken, or could it just be the adaptor not working? I am thinking the card, because the DVI cable did not detect it either.

Our system is just over 5 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised if the card has died. Just wanting to check, incase there is a cheap solution rather than needing a new card.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GeForce 8600GT not detected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GeForce 8600GT not detected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Remember the 8600 has issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 9:08 AM PDT

You can research the 8600 defect issue, so if you remove the card the onboard video can take over in most systems. And the ATI 5450 is a fine replacement for about 30 bucks. I'd do that.

But given the lack of machine details, I can't tell if the PC has other issues.

Collapse -
Confuse issue
by Willy / April 28, 2013 1:03 AM PDT

You already had a problem and then you add another parameter into it, which just makes it worse or confusing. Just stick with what worked before. On that note, it would seem you have bad video card. Boot into safe mode with networking and check results that way. If still no display or nothing, try another video card. if you have onboard video, remove video card and try to use it. If it works, then the video card is surely bad. Robert noted a known issue with 86xx chip based cards, it would seem best just to get another video card regardless in light of this and current problem.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.