Laptops

General discussion

GATEWAY W350A Laptop HDMI AMD TURION 64WEBCAM 1.5 MEGAPIXEL

by pumpkinman1963 / August 26, 2009 4:18 PM PDT

OK Ive never had so many problems reinstalling an operating system as i have on this machine.was working fine.next day nothing.All i got was check cable exiting pcm no operating system found.ok i did what i could but ,not my pc. friend never did any back ups or restore points and didnt make the recovery cds i have the original cd thats it.ok first try on install there were a few errors .i got into command prompt and got them fixed fix boot fix mbr fix bcd.all completed .ran check disk finds no errors but at the end says something as could not find or read and the number 50.sorry i know thats that just what it said but im tring to remember everything.hard drive shows in BIOS .checed drive says ok SO THE INSTALL NOW GETS TO 2. SAYS INSTALLING.But never does i get this message at the endWindows could not assign a drive letter on disk 0, The specified partition does not exiton the target disk. The error occured while preparing the partiton selected for installation.Error code 0x80300002.then stops. during set up when the box comes up thats suppose to have the operating sys on it its blank it says load hard drive drivere,ive looked and looked but do not know what to look for in the files nothing says hard disc. im sure its under some other abreaveation im sure but dont know which one.so no driver loaded i dont beleave.Also another problem is in BIOS i can only scroll to time and date it will not let me scroll to the hard drive or anything else why would that be?its taken me along time just to get it to the install screen,pheww!.its a nice machine very well taken care of.no cameras had been attached no printers no cards.hard drive light stays on and shows its working.But even after all that im beleaving its bad. ive used win 98..tryed to install xp went threw then it requires a format so i do so it gets to 100% then says cannot be formatted.now closing.Im so hoping for an answer ive seen many people having the same problem with vista.i hope someone has found the answer..thank you all replys appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GATEWAY W350A Laptop HDMI AMD TURION 64WEBCAM 1.5 MEGAPIXEL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GATEWAY W350A Laptop HDMI AMD TURION 64WEBCAM 1.5 MEGAPIXEL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I do that works for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2009 7:58 PM PDT

I use the laptop's recovery CD/DVD. I read your post and maybe you are not using the supplied OS? I can't tell. My advice is to use the supplied OS and recovery CD/DVDs.
Bob

Collapse -
bob
by pumpkinman1963 / August 27, 2009 3:47 AM PDT

thanks for the reply.the OS cd/dvd is the original.i dont have any restore cds because the person who owns it never made the cds when prompted.i even tried to install ubuntu just for a test it almost installed but i think i messed it up somehow didnt type in what they wanted and got couldnt find file..It all boills down to the drive letter not being found and installation stops on vista.

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2009 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: bob

The cheapest fix would be to order recovery media. Last time it was 35 bucks and saved me days of tinkering with drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
I AGREE
by pumpkinman1963 / August 27, 2009 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

hi bob thanks for the reply..i think that is the best bet to get the replacement cds..Now my problem in doing that is the serial number is wore off.and gateway seems to do it all threw the serial number.And with the BIOS settings not scrolling i cant find it. they also want the model its a T-Series but does not say t-1425 or t- 1625 because under the model number w350a there is none on there site its under t-series but i cant find find it any wheres on laptop so i do not know what T Series it is is there a way to find out.also i think i used a ubuntu live cd to get a pass word and serial number 1 time i may try that also.it seems weird the bios wont scroll only to time and date why would that be any ideas..thank you kindly..is it possible hard drive could be corrupt?

Collapse -
Ouch again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2009 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: I AGREE

Just like fixing a car, we need the make, model, year and maybe a little more to get the right parts.

If Windows is running google these titles to see if they sniff or report the details you need.

BELARC ADVISOR
EVEREST FREE EDITION

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.