Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway vs Acer

by jas0nhe / August 8, 2005 5:05 AM PDT

I'm planning to get a new laptop, and have pretty much narrowed down my choices to the Acer TravelMate 3000 and Gateway M250X.

I can configure the Gateway with a 2GHz processor and 1GB of RAM for less than what the Acer costs. But, what's more important is which computer would be more reliable.

I know that Gateway and Acer aren't as great as the Dells and HPs, but they seem to be the best value so far. My budget is $1299, and I prefer lighter PCs (but don't want to sacrifice too much performance). So what should I get -- the Acer, or the Gateway?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway vs Acer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway vs Acer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Compare specs -- make sure you get at least 6 cell battery
by KenSanramon / August 8, 2005 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Gateway vs Acer

Acer has some great models but be careful on the battery they specify as standard. If it is a Pentium M notebook (Centrino) you should have at least a 6 cell battery which will normally give you 3.5-5 hours battery life on a Pentium M notebook . HP/Compaq and others are offering 12 cell batteries on Pentium M models now which are much heavier and thicker of course but can make battery life go to double the time or 7-10 hours on a single battery ! (3.5 hours on 6 cell is customary for wi-fi use or playing a DVD but having both of these turned off can push the time closer to the maximum figure as well as turning down the brightness of the LCD).

Some cheaper Acers were supplying a 4 cell which was barely giving you longer battery life than a Pentium 4M or AMD 64 notebook which defeats the entire purchase of a Pentium M notebook.

The Acer Ferrari and other pricier Acer models won't pull this but you seem to be price sensitive so make sure you are getting at least a 6 cell battery included.

Gateway is very competitive at retail and online but keep in mind they closed all their retail stores about a year ago so they are working their way back. They are at Best Buy however and I think Office Depot carries them. Those are 2 large retailers that don't carry Acer in the US (Acer is mostly an online entity in the US similar to Fujitsu but even Fry's Electronics in the West has Fujitsu notebooks).

I think both of these notebook brands should be judged on their features as neither has outstanding service or a large retail presence to make them stand out.

Make sure to get a Pentium M cpu if applicable ending in a 0 (example 730, 740, 750) not ending in a 5 (example 725) as the new Sonoma chipset, Pentium M cpu, etc run off the chips ending in a 0 -that gives you the faster system bus of 533mhz (versus 400mhz), faster RAM (PC3300 versus PC2700), etc .. the new Pentium M chips themselves like the 730 1.6mhz is Sonoma wheras the Pentium M 725A 1.6mhz is the former generation Dothan -- both have 2mb L2 system cache but again see the benefits of the Sonoma chips above ..........

Collapse -
Thanks for the tips
by jas0nhe / August 8, 2005 3:54 PM PDT

I can afford to upgrade to the 2GHz processor, 1GB of RAM and a 5400rpm 60GB hard drive. Since I don't care too much about battery life, I guess I'll just stick with the standard 6-cell and save some cash. The notebook is probably too heavy (5 lbs) for frequent traveling anyways.

I haven't really seen any reviews for the Gateway M250X. There have been quite a few professional reviews for the Acer, and the remarks have generally been positive.

Between the two, which laptop is more reliable and has a better keyboard?

Thanks for the help.

-Jason

Collapse -
Save cost on processor/upgrade RAM yourself
by KenSanramon / August 9, 2005 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the tips

There is really not a lot of difference between the 1.6ghz Pentium M 730 processor and the 2.0 ghz Pentium M 760 processor -- the only key thing is cost.

As long as you get any processor in the 730,740,750,760 range you are getting the full Sonoma Pentium M cpu with 2mb L2 system cache (avoid the Celeron Pentium M's at all costs unless you really can't go over the $1,000 cost barrier).

You are correct to get the 5400rpm hard drive for up to 50% faster seek time.

Note that you can save a lot of $ by ordering 512mb 1 stick RAM (or 256mb 1 stick) from the manufacturer and installing your own RAM later yourself in the 2nd slot (512mb).

Again, Acer and Gateway are both similar and don't have a stellar support record to make them stand out. So, I would pick one of these based on the features you get and the pricing of course if these are your 2 choices.

If you were getting the Acer Ferrari line that is defintely a model that puts Acer ahead of Gateway but for the models you are comparing it is a tossup.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.