TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Gateway plasma TV problems

by ptnted / April 3, 2005 11:35 AM PDT

I have a Gateway 42" plasma tv that is no longer under warranty. The picture was fine until the NCAA semifinals when a problem developed - certain colors are no longer viewable (faces appear solarized). I spoke with Gateway and they say that the only way to service the unit is by sending a technician to replace one of three boards that can be replaced. The charge for a service visit plus the board is close to $1000. They do not sell replacement boards to the general public. Since the unit was bought for $2500, it makes little sense to spend $1000 on a service call. I believe the unit was made by Sampo. Any suggestions on how I can repair it for less than $1000 or where I can get replacement parts myself? I'd hate to just toss this thing in the garbage. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway plasma TV problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway plasma TV problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you in California?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2005 1:17 PM PDT

If so, contact the BEAR (Bureau of Electronic and Automotive Repair.) Lodge a complaint that spare parts are not being offered.

You are an early poster child for what will become a wave of complaints about this style of TV. Repairs will run about 1K since there is no open spares system or ready documentation.

Such systems must be kept under warranty until you are willing to assume the risks.

Bob

Collapse -
TO: R. PROFFITT moderator,
by Riverledge / November 13, 2006 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: Are you in California?

PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD.
IT HAS OUT LIVED ITS USEFULNESS.

THERE ARE OTHER GATEWAY PLASMA THREADS IN THE A/V FORUM.

ARCHIEVE IF YOU IF YOU HAVE TO.

I FIND IT A DISTRACTION, TOO MANY FOLKS TRYING TO BUY AND SELL
GATEWAY PARTS.

THIS FORUM SHOULDN'T BE A BACK-UP FOR E-BAY OR AMAZON........

Riverledge!

Collapse -
Gateway Plasma
by mmolnar / April 7, 2005 10:53 PM PDT

As with many people in the country that were and still are suckered into a cheap plasma, a cheap plasma is just that. I own my own business dealing mainly with higher end clientel who appeciate good quality. Gateway, Dell, Sampo, Sansui all suck the besst thing you can do is to throw that thing away. If you get it fixed the other board will break in 6 months (trust me). Buy an LG or Samsung or Fujitsu they are the best I have tried and tested every model out there! Sorry about you luck.

Collapse -
LIKE OTHER THREADS ON THE SAME SUBJECT........
by Riverledge / February 28, 2006 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Gateway Plasma

WHY? WHY? WHY?
Would anyone buy a Plasma HDTV from a computer
company???
Just doesn't any make sense...; now DELL and H-P are selling plasma's. Good Luck.

Would you buy a 6.1 reciever from Gateway or Dell???
I think NOT!!!

I have two GATEWAY computers (love them,) would never think of buying anything but soft-ware from them.
Best of luck with the Class Action suit.

river.

Collapse -
Are You Done?
by debhegel / March 3, 2006 4:27 AM PST

''I have two GATEWAY computers (love them,) would never think of buying anything but soft-ware from them.''

Funny, I thought Gateway made computers. In my country, computers are HARDWARE, not ''soft-ware''.

And now that I've sunk to your level, I don't believe any of us have a functioning time machine either, so you really aren't helping in the slightest....

Collapse -
Gateway Abandons Customers
by wrex101 / April 30, 2005 2:56 AM PDT

I have a similar problem. Seems that the infrared reciever on the TV has Failed. I cannot switch any function at all from remote and there is no way to do this from the set itself ( nice engineering huh?).
I spoke to Gatway CS and got the same "We dont have parts and dont know when" runaround as you,
I now seek the elusive Sanpo infrared reciever thingie that seems to be failing on many of their palsma TV's. They seemed awful familiar with this routine!
I pressed them on when they would recieve parts and asked would they inform me when available? They were just lost on this. Lots of I'm Very sorry sir but it's your touhg luck for doing businees with us. They even said there is a kink in the supply chain due to the Tsunami and blah blah blah. If you do a short netsurf you will find many many Gateway orphans out there.

Well there you are, are some tea and sympathy from someone in the same fix.
All I can really suggest is that we tell all we know to Never Buy Gatway. They really have a bad attitude like...your on your own buddy. Tough Luck

Collapse -
You have a case.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2005 6:13 AM PDT

I know in California, the BEAR would be my next call. There is also very nice people in the Consumer Affairs in Sacremento, but the bottom line is unless you squawk, you can't complain much.

Look for the chains to pull. But those are not here.

Bob

Collapse -
Gateway 42" Plasma
by spolleyser / May 18, 2005 1:06 AM PDT

my gateway plasma will not turn on using the remote or the buttons on the set. this happened to me about a year ago, but it literally fixed itself and i haven't had anymore problems until now. is this a problem w/ the infrared receiver as well? has anyone had any luck getting parts or if not, has anyone actually contacted BEAR? if so, what was their response?

thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Just asking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Gateway 42" Plasma

I used to call the BEAR when I lived in California and the consumer lines too. It does work. However it seems today that many consumers are just taking the abuse without making the phone calls or writing letters.

If you don't take action, your investment will be lost.

Bob

Collapse -
hmmmmm
by debhegel / June 19, 2005 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Just asking.

My Gateway Plasma has recently developed two one inch wide vertical lines on the left side that sometimes turn different colors depending upon what's on the screen. For example, if the screen is blue, there are two lines of yellow dots. Is this the logic board or a different problem? A lot of the time you can't see them at all, and it'll even go away for a while if you leave the TV off for an hour. This thing is barely a year and a half old!

Collapse -
Your issue is classic...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2005 9:11 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmmmm

Some component has become heat sensitive on some board. It won't matter what board since they all run about the same price.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Arrghh!
by debhegel / June 20, 2005 12:44 AM PDT

Uggh, that's what I was afraid of. You'd think I would have learned my lesson when my Gateway Destination XTV ($5000+ at the time) blew out all video inputs after only four years. Gateway = GARBAGE!

Collapse -
46" Gateway Plasma TV
by zachattack1 / November 25, 2006 11:04 PM PST

My 46" plasma tv is about 3 years old. It is dead except for the green light coming on. It has a black screen, typical of others. I do not know like most what is wrong. I am going to join the class action suit. If anyone is interested in my set for parts, please let me know. Thanks, and good luck to everyone else.

Collapse -
Gateway Plasma
by jackcorwin / November 27, 2006 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: 46" Gateway Plasma TV

How do I join the class action suit? How much is a busted 42" plasma worth?
Thanks,
Jack

Collapse -
Will buy broken Gateway Plasma's,
by gatebuyer / January 17, 2007 9:47 AM PST

Send me your model # and symptom and city,state and will make you an offer. Dan

Collapse -
My email is eb1mail@sbcglobal.net Thanks, Dan
by gatebuyer / January 17, 2007 9:49 AM PST

My email is eb1mail@sbcglobal.net Thanks, Dan

Collapse -
fgtw-p42m102
by madilyn / January 19, 2007 7:25 AM PST

I am selling this set , excellent condition except needs power supply modile. gtw-p42m102, make any offer any pcb's.
amado

Collapse -
Please email me. Thanks, Dan.
by gatebuyer / January 19, 2007 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: fgtw-p42m102

Madilyn, Please email me. Thanks, Dan.
eb1mail@sbcglobal.net

Collapse -
I would like to buy a part or a complete set for parts.
by shacky4 / January 24, 2007 12:52 PM PST

I have a P42M102 and the IR sensor seems to be broke. If anyone has one and would like to sell me the part, or I might be interested in buying an entire tv for parts.

email me at scott@shackleton.net

Collapse -
reply to will buy broken gateway plasmas
by sabledog2 / January 31, 2007 9:15 AM PST

what are you offering for a broken plasma, and how do you handle shipping?

Collapse -
reply to sabledog2
by shacky4 / January 31, 2007 9:55 AM PST

What model do you have and what is wrong with it?

Collapse -
reply to will buy broken gateway plasmas
by sabledog2 / January 31, 2007 9:16 AM PST

what are you offering for a broken plasma, and how do you handle shipping?

Collapse -
Gateway Plasma
by jkwland / February 11, 2007 10:26 AM PST

I have a Gateway GTW P42M102 Model Plasma, 3 years old. It began cycling through the inputs when turned on about 3 weeks ago. Picture has been fine. Reading all of the Gateway posts I decided not to fool with it and replaced it. I now have a 3 year old plasma tv that doesn't work. If you're buying them, I have one for sale.

Collapse -
GTW P42M102
by buckiii1 / February 11, 2007 12:13 PM PST

How much. E-mail me at buckiii1@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Buying Gateway Plasmas
by gatebuyer / February 11, 2007 9:13 PM PST

Email about the GTW-M102 for sale, I will make you an offer or mention what you want for it.
eb1mail@sbcglobal.net

Collapse -
Bying Broken Gateway Plasma's 42" or 46".
by gatebuyer / March 24, 2007 12:35 AM PDT

Mention City,State and symptom, Model and overall condition. Will make offer.
eb1mail@sbcglobal.net
Dan

Collapse -
Buying Broken Gateway Plasma
by gatebuyer / March 30, 2007 12:30 PM PDT

Mention State you are in and symptom, Model and overall condition. Will make offer. Email me only.
eb1mail@sbcglobal.net
Regards.

Collapse -
I need parts for the 46" Plasma
by Syclopse / February 11, 2007 5:02 AM PST

Any information on parts for the 46" Plasma by Gateway/Vizio/Benq
I have the service manual but it's useless without parts to switch out. Looking for the VIF/DIF/Sustainer boards
email nospamnetwork@enginner.com

Collapse -
Interested in selling your busted plasma?
by brx1769 / April 25, 2006 4:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Gateway 42" Plasma

The title says it all
Interested in selling your busted plasma?

Collapse -
Selling busted 42 inch plasma
by unclehenryviii / May 4, 2006 10:40 PM PDT

What's the offer - everything works 'cept the remote function....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.