Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway

by Stryder13 / March 5, 2006 8:45 AM PST

Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with the Gateway

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NX860XL
by Fil0403 / March 12, 2006 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: Gateway

Hey Stryder, I've not had a problem with the 4 Gateway computers I purchased in '03. Two are lap-tops (for myself and my wife) and two are desk sets that I purchased for my son and grandson.

Tech support, on the rare occasions I've had to use it, has been quite good. Overall I've had no complaints with Gateway products or service.

Re: Your comments concerning the Gateway NX860XL, it does seem too good to be true but given my good experience with Gateway I decided to go for it. Sooooo...on 03, March I ordered an NX860XL (I DO have a need for such a machine) and I'm anxiously sitting here waiting for delivery. Unfortunately, there are apparently many others who believe as we do. As a result, the demand has been so high that the ETA is 03, April. Oh well...

Don

Collapse -
NX860X
by dnachef / March 16, 2006 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: Gateway

I just returned the NX860X (not XL) back to Gateway to upgrade to the Gateway M685-E (look for it in the mid & large business section of their website). It's essentially the same as the NX860X and XL but offers a few more options with Windows XP Pro standard. The main reason I returned the NX860X back to Gateway is due to the average display quality of the stock 1400 x 900 screen. I found the uneven backlighting to be unacceptable for my tastes. So, I'm taking a gamble that the higher quality (and more expensive) Ultrabright screen will be to my liking. I have to say though that I'm a power user and very picky about nice displays. Also, I found out that the M685-E is now shipping with an 80GB 7200rpm drive as standard now!!! (this is not reflected on their website yet, so you may want to call to place your order) That's the other reason I was willing to shell out $250 more to get the M685-E, plus you get 3 years warranty as standard vs. the 1 year on the NX860 models. I loved everything about the NX860X except the average stock display. I'm going to develop my own website to show my detailed review of both the NX860 and M685-E (when it arrives). The address will be NX860.com. Look for it in 1-2 weeks.

I have to give Gateway a good score for customer support during my return process. Since I was upgrading to a more costly laptop, they didn't charge me any restocking fee and they also paid for the shipping back to them. The return process was a breeze. They sent me an email with a link to Fedex's Online shipping label system. Just print out the prepaid label and pack and ship off at a FedexKinkos store. Very smooth and easy. Also worth noting, I spoke with about 5 reps and every one of them spoke perfect English.

Collapse -
Gateway sounds great to me!
by Stryder13 / March 17, 2006 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: NX860X

Thanks to both of you for replying and sharing your experiences with Gateway. It is very encouraging to hear positive reviews of customer service! (I have turned a cold shoulder to Sony after researching their tech support performance). My ancient Gateway desktop still works like a charm; it's good to hear that Gateway has maintained the quality of its machines as well as their tech support.

Thank you both, again, you have been very helpful!

Collapse -
correction to my first post
by dnachef / April 22, 2006 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: NX860X

Ok, folks. I received my Gateway M685-E a few weeks ago and need to make a correction. The 7200rpm 80GGB hard drive is NOT standard. The customer service rep didn't know what he was talking about. I think he was confusing 5400rpm with 7200rpm and probably did not know the difference. I have to say that the stock 80GB Fujitsu 5400rpm drive is just OK. I decided to make my own upgrade and got the 100GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA drive. Wow, there's a noticeable difference. For me, it's worth it and I would suggest any power user get the 7200 rpm drive option when they configure their M685-E for purchase.

So, I have to knock my rating of Gateway customer service down a notch for giving me a guy who didn't know the difference between a 5400rpm drive and a 7200rpm drive.

For a detailed review of the Gateway M685-E you can check out my experience with it at NX860.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.