Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway NV53 laptop keyboard not working.

by pricele / June 7, 2010 10:04 AM PDT

When I power on my gateway laptop, it loads to either the windows recovery screen or the choose an OS (windows 7). But the keyboard is not working and I can't choose any of the options. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway NV53 laptop keyboard not working.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway NV53 laptop keyboard not working.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2010 11:40 PM PDT

Can you get to the BIOS screen? Can you maneuver on the BIOS SCREEN?

Collapse -
Keyboard and mouse troubles
by pricele / June 9, 2010 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: The test.

I have a Gateway NV53 laptop running Windows 7 and I am having issues with the keyboard and mouse not responding. When i connect an external mouse and keyboard, I can click on an icon but it immediately goes to the last icon on the bottom of the page. Also when I open the start menu and click on a folder it immediately goes to the bottom of the list. Is there a way to reset the mousepad and keyboard to make them function correctly?
I can get to the bios screen if I have the external mouse and keyboard connected.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2010 12:23 AM PDT

But if I read your post and try to dismiss all the Windows stuff since we only want to access the BIOS and maneuver there as a test, I think and I'm not quite sure that the test has failed.

Now the choice is yours to continue using the externals or arrange for repairs.

If it's in warranty DO NOT READY FURTHER AS IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.

At the top of the forum is the forum top posts or "Stickies." In those you see where we remove and plug in laptop keyboards. Laptop keyboards run under 99 bucks on most models and for an out of warranty repair quite a savings over a shop or trip to the maker. But this is all about the owner's capabilities. If they don't do this work this won't be the time to learn it. Too high a risk. My advice is to use the USB externals.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.