Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway NV52 screen goes dark

by failonade / October 13, 2009 8:35 AM PDT

I just bought a Gateway NV5214u with 64-bit Vista Home Premium last Sunday. After a few hours of use, the screen went dark (purple-ish, not completely off), and would not come back up until I turned the computer off and back on again. The problem occurred every few hours.

Following Gateway chat support's advice, I restored the system to factory settings, but the problem happened again. I returned the computer to the store, thinking it was defective, and got a new one, same model.

The problem still occurs. Gateway support chat is now telling me to update the bios, but I'm pretty bad with computers and am afraid to do this. The bios version they linked me appears to be older than what I'm currently using. Gateway support chat techs won't tell me what they think is wrong with the computer.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway NV52 screen goes dark
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway NV52 screen goes dark
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do what they tell you to.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2009 9:39 PM PDT

Or you fall out of warranty. Sadly, today no one will tell you what or why they ask you to use am older or newer BIOS. Even I must stop here.

Collapse -
Possibly found a solution
by failonade / October 14, 2009 4:20 AM PDT

I don't know, I thought it would be more likely to void my warranty if I did mess with the BIOS and killed it?

Anyway, I took some advice from a customer review on Best Buy's site and turned off User Account Control in Vista. So far I've gone more than five hours and no sign of the problem, but I'll give it a few more hours of transferring files before I call it a miracle cure.

That, and it seems rather odd, if you ask me.

Collapse -
If the maker's support says to do it and you kill it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 4:53 AM PDT

Even better. The story of bouncing down the bios version is unlikely to be told or if told, you shouldn't believe it.

Me? Yes I do write embedded code and to explain all that goes on takes longer than anyone has patience for.

Collapse -
sounds crazy to me
by artanbori / October 18, 2009 6:57 PM PDT

when you say same problem with new pc makes me wonder

have been having blackout screen problem myself - something about windows live makes ports hot as anything

eventually downloaded manual went in and reluctantly took out the power fan only to find clumps of dust unseen unless you take it out which has resolved the heat thing but not the occasional visual black screen followed by many lines and other visual stuff

I had previously gone in and checked for dust etc but until i took out power fan could not have found the dust which was clogging up the air flow exit - you might find similar problem and is worth checking

get a tube of thermal grease to dab on to top of processor before replacing is good notion

certainly has improved the blackout situation and got a faulty USB message today which is why am surfing here

have had a faulty USB problem for a while and hopefully i have now disabled it - have disabled something and the good one seems to be working - have no inclination to test the faulty one because the whoe system shorts and it takes a while to calm down and start up again
thankfully it does - possibly because i got an intel which has extra short protection circuitry- god bless intel

but am still getting problem and have to say when disabled router the problem went away - coincidence maybe or just confused usb

have checked and double checked for virus /spyware etc so don't think this is problem but reading you post am wondering now - nah ... it couldn't be ,.... could it??

Collapse -
Read your post and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2009 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: sounds crazy to me
Collapse -
by hlangen1 / October 22, 2009 11:29 PM PDT

Update the Atheros Network Driver to V7.7.0.356 or newer. It fixed my problems 100% (both the external mouse issue and the dark screen). Good luck.

Collapse -
Too late
by failonade / October 23, 2009 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution

My solution (after the first "solutions" I was given all failed) was to take the thing back to the store and get a different computer.

Thanks for the advice, though!

Collapse -
update network driver?
by Ajbachman / October 24, 2009 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution

I'm not very computer savvy. I purchased my Gateway NV52 a week ago and have been annoyed daily by this "graying out" problem but didn't really have the time to investigate until now. I'm very interested in pursuing this solution but I have 2 issues. I don't know enough about this stuff to know if it's really a solution and what am I risking if it isn't? Also, how in the world do I install this update? Thanks Happy

Collapse -
yes, this solution works so far
by ladylay1 / October 24, 2009 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: update network driver?

I bought an NV5214u 3 weeks ago. Didn't return unit to BB before the 14 days. Today, after a number of black screens, I chat with Gateway customer support. Was asked to download the Atheros wifi driver. I was very sceptical....but it worked. Downloaded Windows 7 thru wifi this afternoon, to make sure the laptop was working hard for a few hours...didn't fail.
If you look carefully on the unit's drivers webpage, the only one that is not dated july 2009 is the wifi driver, dated 10/22/09. My guess now is that the original wifi driver was crashing Vista, period.

Collapse -
by gypsygirl717 / November 10, 2009 10:45 AM PST

Collapse -
it's only a bad wifi driver
by ladylay1 / November 10, 2009 8:41 PM PST

to the last poster. Don't disconnect the battery. Go to Gateway support page for your laptop, download the latest wifi driver and install it. See my post above. Your problem is gone afetr that. My laptop is not sick anymore. Used it for hours and hours since the driver update and the problem never reappeared. The battery disconnect is not a fix.

Collapse -
Blank Screen
by nicoleleann13 / December 30, 2010 9:52 AM PST

I have the same computer. Last week I had a new hard drive put in because I guess mine was bad. So after that is when this problem started for me.

Best Buy has looked at it 4 times now. They did the BIOS update...still had the problem. Brought it back, they ran tests and claimed everything was good and normal. The guy says he cleaned out the dust from inside and the computer worked great afterwards....WRONG! The second I brought it home it did the same thing AGAIN! So i took it back up...the manager takes a look at it. One guy changed the settings for the sleep mode, and the manager did some kind of video card update. Soon as I bring it home, after 1 hour on the computer it does it to me...2 times in a row now.

Its probably going to do it to me again in a few minutes. I have to clue what else it could be, besides the fact that this model MUST be garbage! UGH! I am sooo frustrated!

Collapse -
Back lit display
by bouncer76 / May 25, 2011 9:39 AM PDT

I just ran into this issue today you need to find a service manual online and pull the screen apart, taped to the back of the screen is the board that is responsible for the back lit display if you are looking at the back of the display on the left hand side where it says "do not touch" there is a ribbon cable that runs along the left back side. The problem is that the tape they use to tape that board to the back of the display also tapes itself to the bracket that holds down the ribbon cable you need to carefully pull away the tape and reinsert the cable into the bracket and clamp it down now put something over it so the tape does not grab it again and put it all back together. Good luck!

Collapse -
One more thing!!
by bouncer76 / May 25, 2011 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Back lit display
STOP USING BEST BUY FOR ANYTHING TO DO WITH COMPUTERS!!! They have under trained tech's that have no idea what they are doing. You are better off finding a qualified tech shop in your area you will find that you will spend less money and your issue will get resolved. Of coarse if you enjoy wasting your money by all means keep taking your stuff to the Geek (******) Squad!
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.