Laptops forum

Gateway NV52 BSOD

by meandmgo / December 26, 2012 2:53 PM PST

I have 2
GB memory ATI Radeon 3200 graphics 320 GB hard drive and Windows 7 Sorry I can't provide more specs but I can't get pass the black screen to access anything.<div>My
laptop turns on but immediately goes to a black screen. The black screen is just that, no power or flicker of anything. The laptop is
on the fans are running and the blue power lights are on but none of
the keyboard lights are displayed. This actually happened about 7
months ago and through reading many posts I came to the conclusion
the motherboard must be bad but I couldn't afford to fix it. Being
bored last night I decided to search forums again and found a new
suggestion which was to remove 1 of the memory sticks and then power
it up again. To my joy and relief it powered right on display and
all. Thinking maybe I had a virus I did a complete factory re install setting it back to Windows Vista. I then re installed the other memory
stick and Everything was working fine. I then re installed windows 7
using the upgrade disks provided by gateway. I also allowed all of
the windows updates to perform. Windows 7 installed and it appeared
the problem was solved. When I was completely done I powered down the
laptop for about 20 minutes and then went to use it for it just to go
back to the original problem. I tried the original fix again removing
1 of the memory sticks but to no avail. Is this just a coincidence
that it restarted being an intermittent problem with the hardware or
is there some sort of conflict with Windows 7 that had developed. If
I can get it to turn back on again I will go back to Windows Vista
and see if that fixes the problem. Any ideas?Also
I forgot to mention when installing Windows 7 I was informed there is
a compatibility issue with ATI but before this problem it previously
ran fine for over a year with no problems. </div>

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway NV52 BSOD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway NV52 BSOD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you research this model's issues?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Gateway NV52 BSOD

I see many replace the mainboard after cleaning heat sinks and replacing heat sink compound. Your post does not appear to be using prior discussions about this model. But I hope this gives you some idea of what folk have discovered.

Collapse -
Gateway NV52 BSOD
by meandmgo / December 27, 2012 3:57 AM PST

Thanks for the suggestion, I might as well perform the tasks you suggested while I'm in there. Yes, I've done a lot of research on my issue but possible solutions are all over the place. But here's the latest with mine. I fiddle faddled around with the memory sticks for a while last night and low and behold once again with only one memory stick inserted it came back on!!! I left the other stick out and again did a factory restore sending it back to Windows Vista. I've been performing updates and reinstalling my programs for hours now with no issues whatsoever. Although I can't say for certain, I'm really starting to believe there is some sort of conflict with ATI and Windows 7, possibly through the most recent update? I have re installed the second memory stick as well. Knock on wood all is good for now!

Collapse -
I don't agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 4:09 AM PST

I have not seen such an issue but the model under discussion is getting older and your usual owners do not take very good care of them. About 1 in 10 have canned air to keep the vents clean, about half ask what canned air is.

Collapse -
Gateway NV52 BSOD
by meandmgo / December 27, 2012 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: I don't agree.

Only time will tell. Canned air is what you use when you rotate the air in your tires right? thanks again

Collapse -
Gateway NV52 BSOD
by meandmgo / December 27, 2012 12:19 PM PST

Update: You were right strictly coincidental the system was running better on Vista. BSOD reappeared but if I wait for about 3 min the screen turns back on. Obviously some sort of overheating issue and as for now since the screen will restart apparently no permanent hardware damage has occurred, I hope. But here's a trick to anyone else who is experiencing the same issue. The system does run cooler with just one memory stick but obviously will suffer in performance. I found out more than once that once I power down for any extended amount of time and the system completely cools, It will enter the BSOD upon boot up. To get my system to boot up I run both memory sticks and allow it to enter the BSOD. Yes the screen is off but the CPU is running heating up the system. I wait about 10 min, remove the one memory stick again and what do you know it boots up! Why it has to warm up like a 72 Pinto before it will start is a mystery but I'm sure related to my original issue. I've performed the cleaning as suggested. The fan and heat sink is not expensive, think that's next.

Collapse -
Gateway NV52 BSOD
by meandmgo / December 27, 2012 12:27 PM PST

And btw, I updated the Atheros Wireless LAN Driver (HB93) version like suggested by other's experiencing similar symptoms and believe it or not Gateway. Haven't a clue what this could have to do with it but I'm using process of elimination.

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 1:10 AM PST

I've found many failing WiFi cards and your average new tech may try driver versions. Let me be blunt. If the factory load fails, that's a sign. Again, your new tech might try driver versions but your seasoned tech knows the signs.

The seasoned tech knows to tear down the laptop to replace the compounds and clean as they go. Then if the WiFi is suspect they swap it out or just remove it and use one of those under 10 buck USB WiFi units to take over. Cheaper in the long run.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.