Computer Help forum

Gateway DX4710-05 desktop crash ..why wont windows load?

by cjz06 / April 12, 2013 10:38 AM PDT

After replacing the hardrive and reloading the restore software ... when windows attemps to start I get this message ... " windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware." Why am I getting this message?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway DX4710-05 desktop crash ..why wont windows load?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway DX4710-05 desktop crash ..why wont windows load?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just curious
by itsdigger / April 12, 2013 8:21 PM PDT

Did the new HDD come with any installation disc's that would install the bios ? Also when you bring up the boot menu , do you select Boot From cd/dvd drive?

Collapse -
I can select boot from the CD thru BIOS ..
by cjz06 / April 12, 2013 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Just curious

....and I have attempted to intsall what ever drivers/software is on the cd by selecting boot from CD , but the computer always comes up with the origional failure .... " Windows Setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware".

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Many posts but can't find the make, model drive used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 6:09 AM PDT

Details matter. I noted a reason why all attempts would fail but after this many posts a small detail eludes me.

The make/model of the new HDD.

Collapse -
new hard drive
by cjz06 / April 15, 2013 10:22 AM PDT

Make .... Seagate 500GB SATA, 7200 RPM, 16 MB Cache - ST3500641as-rk , P9bd648-555. $68.00 Best Buy.

Collapse -
Seagate ships this drive in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: new hard drive

"Seagate ships this drive in both 4K- and 512-byte sectors. SmartAlign technology is included on 4K sector drives."

So you may want to reconsider this model unless you want to deal with obtaining another OS and license.

The 1TB is even more problematic it seems. Why not get the same size drive as it came with?

Collapse -
Re HDD size
by cjz06 / April 15, 2013 9:18 PM PDT

Best Buy doesnt carry the EXACT same drive .. So I got waht was .. never having this problem in the past.

Collapse -
at this point
by cjz06 / April 15, 2013 9:20 PM PDT

..after reading about this nightmare ... I'm not sure even the same modelm HDD would make a difference!!

Collapse -
You'll only know if you try.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: at this point

But the prospects are good.

All Answers

Collapse -
Other than the hard drive, what else changed?
by wpgwpg / April 12, 2013 10:49 AM PDT

It sounds like you might've changed something other than just the hard drive. Doing a restore is likely not to work unless you restore to the near exact same configuration as you had when you made the backup.
I have a question and a suggestion. The question is what did you use to make the backup? Some I've seen aren't so good. The suggestion is to try the REPAIR option. I.e. press F8 about once a second until you get the Advanced Boot Menu and select the repair option there.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Reguarding your responce ...
by cjz06 / April 12, 2013 7:22 PM PDT

I have changed nothing else on the system. JUST the hard drive. The restore disk I used was made from this computer immediately after I purchased it. The origional hard drive is trash ... the computer doesnt even recognize it. So will the F8 option work with the new hard drive? I can access the BOOT options from F1 . I dont remember seeing any repair options in there???

Collapse -
Are You Using That Computer's Recovery Discs?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 12, 2013 10:51 AM PDT

Did those recovery discs come with that specific computer from Gateway? Or did you create the recovery discs from that specific computer? If not, then the recovery software will not work on this computer as it's tied to the exact computer hardware where it was created.

Also....Did you ONLY replace the hard drive, or did you replace other parts such as the motherboard? When a motherboard is replaced, then the original recovery software will not recognize it as the correct branded motherboard.

It would also be nice if we knew the operating system installed on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Reguarding your responce ...
by cjz06 / April 12, 2013 7:26 PM PDT

The restore disc I used was made from this computer. No other changes were made other than the hard drive.Operating system is Windows Vista Home SP1.

Collapse -
Start over
by glb613 / April 12, 2013 7:48 PM PDT

Perhaps something happened during the installation.

Collapse -
Reguarding your responce
by cjz06 / April 12, 2013 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Start over

I have!! 5 times already I have attempted to reload the software from the restore discs MADE from this computer when it was first purchased.. NO SUCCESS!! Sad

Collapse -
Different Type Of HDD Connection, Such As SATA vs PATA?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 1:08 AM PDT

Is the new hard drive a different type of connection to the motherboard? Or possible solid state vs traditional? Is it the same basic size drive?

And if none of these items are different, then you're solution will be to contact Gateway, explain the problem to them, and have them send you a copy of the Recovery Discs.. Your discs simply aren't working.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
would it tell us anything
by itsdigger / April 13, 2013 1:16 AM PDT

if the OP ran a live cd ?

Collapse -
Not Much... But Your Question Brings Another Possibility
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 1:23 AM PDT

If part of the Windows OS was installed, the Live CD it would tell us part of it is there, but since the error indicates " windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware." the LiveCD shouldn't find anything and it doesn't really benefit anything.

The other possibility might be the new hard drive is faulty/bad.. It would explain why the Recovery Discs aren't usable.. So, I see the problem as either the discs are bad or the hard drive is bad or incompatible with the discs.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
the answer is no!!
by cjz06 / April 13, 2013 5:12 AM PDT

The hard drive is the same the origional hard drive. Also, this is the 3rd hard drive I have tried! I already returned the "new" one twice asuming they were defective!!

Collapse -
Here's the link that includes Vista
by wpgwpg / April 13, 2013 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: the answer is no!!
Collapse -
Did you notice the caveat?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 5:59 AM PDT

"Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

Install the hotfix that is described in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: "

Since this is a restore set of disks, the owner can't install this hotfix. So in that situation they must use an OS that supports this or ask the maker for restore media that includes the fix.

And let me be clear about asking the maker. It's been a decade and not one person I know has been able to get the machine's maker to issue a new restore set that includes the hotfix.

Collapse -
re hotfix
by cjz06 / April 14, 2013 9:15 PM PDT

How do I load this hotfix into my system now if windows cant load?

Collapse -
You can't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: re hotfix

I noted this so you would know about the hotfix and why you can't use it. I also noted that it must be incorporated into the restore media and only the issuer of that media can incorporate it.

Do you need the forum members to list alternatives?

Collapse -
Alternatives ...
by cjz06 / April 15, 2013 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't.

..would be great! Anything that can help me get this computer back in service!!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Alternatives ...

It's going to be costly to install Windows IF this is the cause. You'll have to purchase a new version of Windows for about 100 bucks then install that and learn about all drivers.

If this is the cause, a cheaper fix is to get a new drive that is not an advanced format drive.

Collapse -
you think
by cjz06 / April 15, 2013 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

I have the wrong HDD ... I tried a 1TB drive and the restore wouldnt even recognize it!! I thought since the restore does recognize the 55GB AND loads the software onto it I was good to go??

Collapse -
by cjz06 / April 14, 2013 9:11 PM PDT

The hard drive was a 640GB 7200 RPM SATA unit. Couldnt find a 640, so
I used a 500GB , 7200 RPM SATA drive. Origionally I tried a 1 TB drive, but the system didnt even recognize it . The 500 GB is recognized and gets partitioned and loaded by the restore disk, but when windows tries to configure is when it crashes.

Collapse -
This has been seen on new "advanced format" drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2013 5:24 AM PDT for example. I did not bother to find the Vista version of the article.

To help the forum help you, supply exact make/model of the prior working drive and the new or replacement drive.

MSFT has not issued a patch to work around this problem. You must avoid advanced format drives on some machines and factory issues OSes.
Collapse -
Gateway method
by Willy / April 13, 2013 10:57 PM PDT

I have found Gateway PC's to be quirky in that they want things to remind the same during a reload or OS install of OEM restore/recovery s/w. It shouldn't be the case, but only from experience have I have I found this so, though not always. Even, if the brand of the HD is different that is enough to be a PITA for this restore.

Alas, I ask did you prep the HD as in format, etc. before the restore was loaded and NOT a "quick format" the proper time consuming format. If the HD is larger than the old you need to make it the same partition size as before and/or redo the HD as it came from the factory, which again because that changed it fails. -OR- it reloads to a properly formatted and partitioned HD and returning the hidden recovery s/w as well to the 2nd partition. Otherwise, if nothing seems to correct the problem using your current restore s/w, then only a "factory supplied" discs will do. You already stated nothing else has changed other than the HD itself, so that leads to either the recovery process is hosed(bad s/w) or the HD just hasn't been setup right as the recovery s/w "expects" it to be, again Gateway PITA method of doing things.

You can review the way Gateway wants it to be done following their support website guide/manual. Look for your model# and check the process and YES it does matter, because Gateway is a PITA. I exclude any other cause for now unless you forgot to mention it. The posters covered what should have been done other than what I stated for Gateway methods. I hope it helps.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by Willy / April 13, 2013 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Gateway method

Did you hit the Alt + F10 key or similar during bootup and follow prompts? From manual........

If you cannot run Windows...
1 Restart your computer, then press the ALT+F10 keys during startup.
2 Follow the on-screen instructions to finish.

The above is provided when you can't access the HD own recovery partition which is now gone. The above uses eRecovery s/w which is norm for Acer(they own Gateway) systems. Also, did this system come with Vista and if so, was that supplied as Vista with SP1 or not. Many Vista sold PCs didn't have SP1 until added later as an update, as you stated your recovery s/w includes SP1 was that during the initial purchase date or later, that too is a major change if different.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
RE Alt F10
by cjz06 / April 14, 2013 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Addendum...

When I hit ALT F10 ...all I get is the boot menu??????? No instructions to restore system!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.