Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway any good?

by akirian / August 25, 2005 1:29 PM PDT

I've always heard bad things about gateway computers. are they any good? I've researched a few notebooks and I always skipped Gateway but now I'm considering a Gateway. The Gateway I saw was the 8510GZ. Is it better than the HP ZD8215US or HP ZV6131US?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway any good?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway any good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / August 25, 2005 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Gateway any good?

Avoid Pentium 4s. And 8510GZ is an old model not even listed on gateways site anymore. And i'm right now too busy to look it up as im also doing hw. So my suggestion is to look at compusa.com, circuitcity, or best buys deals on notebooks every week. I believe right now for $850, you can get amd turion 64 ml-28, 512MB ram, 80GB 4200rpm, DL DVD+_RW burner, and Windows XP Pro, (802.11b/g wireless 14"Brightview widescreen)at compusa after rebates and you can get more ram and ML-34or 37 i forget along with 100GB for $1350. HP ZV6000 series are good.

Roger

Collapse -
re:
by togus / August 26, 2005 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Best Buy, and other retailors, sell the 7510GX for 1399. This is a very impressive machine, but can't be custom configured (it only comes with XP Home and Works), otherwise I'd buy one. It has a fast Athlon 64, big HD, good video card and all the other things that are now standard. If you're looking to buy a 64 bit machine, this is one to look at.

Collapse -
Best buy Gateways competitively priced at retail
by KenSanramon / August 26, 2005 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

Yes, the Gateway Pentium M's and AMD 64 models at Best Buy are very competitive with what HP/Compaq and others are offering.

Note if you buy a Gateway retail the warranty is still 1 year but if you buy it at Gateway.com the warranty is only 90 days !!!!

Dell has also pulled this stunt moving to 90 days. You can pay $20-25 to extend it back to 1 year but that is ridiculous.

HP/Compaq at this point is sticking to 1 year.

Make sure whatever you buy that you have at least a 1 year limited warranty.

Collapse -
gateway 64 bit machines
by togus / August 26, 2005 10:21 PM PDT

You can't even buy the Athlon equiped machines directly from GW, only through retailers like Best Buy. I suspect this is because GW has an agreement with Intel that blocks GW from directly selling AMD based machines. This is a real bummer for me as I'm pretty cheap and won't pay twice to upgrade the OS and productivity software. Looks like an R4000 for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.