PC Hardware forum

Question

Gateway All-in-one powers on for couple seconds then off

by anywhereman2009 / November 20, 2012 6:36 AM PST

Gateway All-in-one ZX6951 with Acer H67H2-AD motherboard, 4GB RAM powers on when I insert the power cord and then shuts down in about 3 seconds. If I pull the plug and reinsert nothing happens for about 2 seconds then the fan begins to whir and 2 seconds later it shuts off again.

If I reset CMOS by moving jumper it goes back to starting immediately upon insertion of power cord and again shuts down in about 3 seconds. After that it's back to nothing for a couple seconds when I insert the power cord and then fan whirs again and shuts off.

I have tried new power supply, removed RAM, HD, unplugged all devices, etc. all to no avail. When I remove RAM I get no beeps of any kind. I'm out of guesses.

When I reset CMOS and insert power cord and it starts immediately and remains on for 3 seconds versus subsequent insertion of power cord where nothing happens immediately and then fans whir and shuts down must mean something but I'm not sure what.

Thnaks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway All-in-one powers on for couple seconds then off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway All-in-one powers on for couple seconds then off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Do you get beeps?
by wpgwpg / November 22, 2012 4:21 AM PST

You say you get no beeps without RAM, but when you do have RAM are you getting beeps? Those beeps are coded and can tell you what problem you have if present. I bought a Gateway desktop in '06 and had problems with the keyboard, monitor, and finally the mobo crapped out after just over 3 years, so I'm no fan of theirs. I've had much better luck with Dell, Toshiba, and HP.

Good luck.

Collapse -
No beeps
by anywhereman2009 / November 22, 2012 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Do you get beeps?

No, no beeps at all. It is on for such a short time and nothing happens.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.