Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway 600ygr Problems

by Phishy4 / November 29, 2004 3:07 PM PST

I have a couple year old Gateway 600ygr (1.8ghz pentium 4) that seems to be on the downslide. It has worked great up until a few weeks ago when it started to lock up when disk cleanup was run, but only when it was hot and when it was running off ac power, not battery. I've noticed that the fan is kicking on alot more and staying on alot longer than it used too. Is there any solution to this or am I dealing with a lost cause?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway 600ygr Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway 600ygr Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Gateway 600ygr Problems
by SoftJunkie / December 19, 2004 8:19 AM PST

i've had EXACLTY the same problem you are describing about a year ago. i spent a long time on the phone with them. they sent me a different power adapter and that did not help. i sent in the laptop to their service department and the problem was resolved. it is still running great a year later.

Collapse -
The fan is the clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2004 10:11 AM PST

Fans move air through a system. Dust, dirt, grime, gunk, whatever is deposited on the cooling surfaces and insulates the parts.

A good tech can clean this up in under an hour.

Bob

Collapse -
Same problem...fixed myself
by bstevenson / January 20, 2005 11:52 AM PST

My 600YGR was locking up alot and running hot and the fan ran pretty much all the time. Problem gradually became worse. Disassembled unit and found the cpu heat sink was not completely flat against the cpu. Upon further investigation I found that 2 of the pem nuts (4) that hold the heat sink down were no longer attached to the motherboard. They are only held to the MB with solder! I removed the heat sink and removed the MB. Cleaned the heat sink and applied silver heat sink grease. Cleaned the top of the cpu also (denatured alcohol). I removed all four pem nuts and wicked off all the solder. I then used a Dremel tool to very slightly grind down the MB side of each pem nut so I could use screws to hold them down (all four) to the MB securely and also I resoldered all four of the pem nuts. The pem nuts protrude too far past the board so a screw won't hold them securely, thus the slight grinding. Reattached the heatsink and reinstalled everything...much patience required. Unit has now been working flawlessly for over one year now...runs very cool and does not lock up, etc. The cpu was getting too hot during cpu intensive tasks so it would lock up. That's how I did it and you will see what I mean when you get inside. Do not just resolder the nuts...it will happen again because of the spring tension on them (there are springs in the heatsink assembly that pulls the pem nuts loose). Remember to have a large work table so you can put the screws, etc. in the same pattern you removed them....many different sizes and many of them. Pay close attention to cable routing, etc. or you will never get the thing back together or if you do you will end up pinching a wire. Everything has to come apart to effect this repair. It was the motherboard mfr. fault! Can't remember the name but it is one the MB. Good luck and may the force be with you.

Collapse -
Kudos!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2005 10:21 PM PST

I really enjoy reading where people dive in and fix it!

About the fault... These laptops have a warranty period and unless refrigerators and such are designed with finite lifespans. Laptops are subjected to some stresses that they don't account for, but SOLDER is not a proper mechanical retension item. It will crack when twisted or stressed.

Did it exceed the warranty period? By how much?

Bob

Collapse -
Expand/contract
by ikenfixit / January 21, 2005 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Kudos!

There are a ton to list with this issue and M is absolutley correct in stating solder has no "holding" ability in this area. It would be fine except for the fact the heat from the CPU heatsink and related areas heat the joints up and the result is expansion of the solder as it has a lower melting point than the slugs that it holds. Basically it expands and contracts at a much lower temp causing the joints to crack and fail. You can however resolder these But it take a good hot iron to heat the hold downs enough to actually flow the solder correctly. I like hearing these stories as well and hope to be doing this for a lonnnngggg time..

Collapse -
Warranty
by bstevenson / January 21, 2005 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Kudos!

My warranty was still good until june 2005 however I refuse to send my life blood away for many, many weeks while they attempt a repair. I have been an electronic technician for many years and I beleive that I can do as good or better of a job than they could. They probably would have resoldered or replaced the MB with a used one that would have exhibited the same problem later. Sorry to be so cynical.

Collapse -
thanks for the post
by Kenzbo / March 14, 2005 2:52 AM PST

Someone brought me their 600YGR laptop with issues of hang/freezing/reboots. Read your post and was able to get the machine working again by securing the pem nuts (#3 and #4 were detached from Motherboard)and applying some heat sync grease from Radio Shack. Thanks for the help Happy

Kenzbo

Collapse -
Gateway 600 YGR Freezes
by ghostreg / January 12, 2010 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: thanks for the post

I open the laptop (Gateway 600 ygr 1.7 ghz 512MB 80 GB HARDDISK) and found that the pem nuts on the right side were loose from the board. Can someone please explain what material i need to use in order to secure these nuts back onto the board? Thanks for your assistance.

Collapse -
Nuts loose = tighten nuts?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 12:03 AM PST

Sorry but basic mechanics appear to be in play here. Sadly I see no web pages explaining basic mechanics of how to tighten loose nuts. If some matching screw has gone missing then you find and replace those. If some screw is stripped, snapped then replace those. Again, ALL APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE but it is something you either do or have done.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19681_102-0.html?messageID=3196452&tag=forums06;posts#3196452 is however something I would review as well.
Bob

Collapse -
Still Working
by bstevenson / June 29, 2005 10:50 AM PDT

It is now July....well close enough. Repair is holding up just fine. Unit still working as designed. Noticed someone else trying to explain repair....poor and vague explanation! If all the software companies can get their heads screwed on straight with all their updates and upgrades then the machine would have absolutely NO PROBLEMS! I keep all the latest and greatest of just about everything and have learned it is better to uninstall old versions and then install the updates. Keep fixin'....cheaper that way.....besides you'll need the money for the oil companies to screw you out of.

Collapse -
Gateway 600 YGR Laptop
by crhu / November 23, 2007 7:39 AM PST

Hi, Anybody can tell me how I can reach the motherboard of this laptop, in order to fix the CPU heat-sink problem as described, for example, by Mr. Beteveson on 1/20/05 in this forum? I have unscrewed all the screws in the back, but still cannot open up the back cover.
I have also taken off the strip above the keyboard, but did not proceed to remove the keyboard, because a pdf file I downloaded on how to remove the keyboard seems to show that this is not the way to reach the heat-sink.

Collapse -
Yes bro, there is a solution
by dopido / March 29, 2005 8:22 PM PST

I believe your processor overheats, you have to open up your laptop with a screw driver, and check if your cooler didnot cliped off the mother board,
If it did , you have to take out the motherboard and to faster the broken attachments of the cooler from the outside, fortunately, you can use the same kind of screws, BUt dont forget to clean up the processor and apply thermopaste, it helps for cooling down.

It worked for me,
so Good luck,
more questions?
mossipo1@binghamton.edu

Collapse -
A hoo-rah for the do-it yourselfers!
by ikenfixit / March 30, 2005 2:34 AM PST

Not too complex is it? If more people would do a simple weekly maintenance on the laptops.. IE: Blowing out the dust vents, as Ive seen Bob Proffitt EXPLAIN a THOUSAND times.. Alot less laptops would have to come our way..(www.ikenfixit.com) Heat will kill any electronic device, and in machine building, (Broach) we actually installed mini-temp controller devices in the electrical panel's where the Programmable logic controllers Or PLC's were mounted.(Miniature computer).. These controlled temperature and humidity ranges and added to the longevity (mis-spelled)? of the units. Just keep the machines clean, Blow them out. Dont try to over-run the capabilities of the device's like gaming with a max integrated video memory of 32 meg's and running a game that requires this just to operate. This will eventually reap havok and be the downfall of the board. Glad to visit this place and see people getting results! Keep em cool and if it aint broke? Dont flash it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.