TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Gateway 42" plasma tv repair

by johncran549 / July 3, 2006 9:50 AM PDT

On my 2003 Gateway 42" plasma tv the picture does not come in. I can get audio but not video. When I called Gateway, the wanted to charge me a total of $499 to get someone to come look at it. I live in rural Montana. I wanted to know who I could take it to in my area (Billings, MT) to get it fixed. The guy I talked to, who could hardly speak English, didn't have an answer for me. I also got a survey call back on how well the Tech support person was. Guess what my answers were? On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, I tried to give all zero's. She was dumbfounded when I told her I was unhappy with Gateway. I also have a service # for them to track. Any input would be helpful on how to get my Gateway serviced! Thank you Cindy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway 42" plasma tv repair
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway 42" plasma tv repair
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IT'S A GONER..............
by Riverledge / July 3, 2006 12:18 PM PDT

TIME to shop!!!

river.

Collapse -
Yo Montana
by RoadRunner6 / July 3, 2006 5:16 PM PDT

Cynthia, all my family is from Montana, Welcome. Unfortunately there have been lots of problems with Gateway. Scan down on these threads and look for a thread titled:

"Gateway Plasma TV Problems"

Some sad reading here for you (about 140 responses). Good luck.

RR6

Collapse -
Gateway 42" Plasma TV Repair
by LokalX / July 8, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

I have the same problem with a Gateway. I live in suburban Washington, DC and Gateway quoted a price of $495 plus prepayment of three parts for a total initial payment of $1,286. They would refund for parts not used. I called Circuit City and the in-home diagnostic visit was $95. Parts and prices to be determined. I will let you know what happens.

Collapse -
How handy are you?
by canonnn13 / July 8, 2006 11:06 AM PDT

Hi there -

Buried well within all of those posts is one link from a fellow that decided to take one apart and see what was wrong.

He found a defective cable connection - essentially the connector was burnt, causing the TV to shut down. He's posted a full step-by-step of how he fixed his.

Link is as follows:

http://nyclubkid.com/gatewayrepair/

I don't know if this is your particular problem; if you are experienced with electronic repair, or know someone who is, it might be worth it to take a look. At a bare minimum, you might be able to get a local "non-Gateway" tech to perform the repair at a reduced price.

I am populating my blog / website with links on how to repair these beasts - take a look if you need other options:

www.electricalrepairlinks.com

Collapse -
How handy are you?
by canonnn13 / July 8, 2006 11:07 AM PDT

Hi there -

Buried well within all of those posts is one link from a fellow that decided to take one apart and see what was wrong.

He found a defective cable connection - essentially the connector was burnt, causing the TV to shut down. He's posted a full step-by-step of how he fixed his.

Link is as follows:

http://nyclubkid.com/gatewayrepair/

I don't know if this is your particular problem; if you are experienced with electronic repair, or know someone who is, it might be worth it to take a look. At a bare minimum, you might be able to get a local "non-Gateway" tech to perform the repair at a reduced price.

I am populating my blog / website with links on how to repair these beasts - take a look if you need other options:

http://www.electricalrepairlinks.com

Collapse -
In reference to the Gateway plasma TV.
by rj1415 / November 12, 2010 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: How handy are you?

I bought a 42in gateway tv and it went out right after the warranty also. I just found this site where everyone is talking about them. Has anyone found a solution? I tried to go to the websites posted but they wont come up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.