Peripherals forum

Question

Gaming/Movie Monitor Question

by Tsiek / September 9, 2012 10:10 PM PDT

I am in the market for a gaming monitor and I have narrowed it down to 2 different monitors.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005312
for its features and TV tuner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005289
For its IPS panel.

Both have the same claimed response rate of 5ms but I have only seen reviews of the IPS monitor, which have been ok so far.
I would only be using them to watch movies occasionally and playing Xbox/ a few computer games. The TV turner would be a great edition but not completely necessary.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really cannot make up my mind.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gaming/Movie Monitor Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gaming/Movie Monitor Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I do see a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

A quickly look finds 60Hz inputs. The panels are faster but the input rate looks to be 60Hz so let's do a little math.

60Hz is about 16.67 mS so at 5 mS (which is usually the time from full on to half off) this means that such a panel would be a bit flashy if it didn't run the panel at 120 or more Hz.

GAMERS can be royally upset at the 60Hz input limits. And even confused as they put in 75Hz video and odd things happen.

This is not to duplicate prior discussions about this but have you read all this before?
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah
by Tsiek / September 10, 2012 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: I do see a problem.

I was aware that 60hz was at a disadvantage, but I don't have the cash to pay for a 300-400 dollar 120hz monitor, so I was trying to find a good lg for the price.

Collapse -
Monitors
by pgc3 / September 10, 2012 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah

Agree with Bob, some gamers are disappointed, why LG, why not Samsung or Viewsonic and there are others to choose from. I have both Samsung and Viewsonic, excellent monitors. I got an LG 42" LED TV for xmas, it lasted 2 weeks before it crapped out, power module conked out it was under warranty, so far so good. Another friend of mine purchased 2 LG monitors for his office, one went bonkers after a month, the other, so far so good, it sort of shook my faith in LG. I will say that in my case with the TV, their service was totally excellent and I will admit that the vid reproduction is very good, as good as any I have seen.

Collapse -
monitor brand
by Tsiek / September 10, 2012 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitors

not too worried about the brand, just the price. LG has the cheapest IPS I have seen as of yet and pretty good reviews on monitors. I am more worried about staying in my budget of about $250. probably should have listed that first though lol.

Collapse -
With that out of the way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2012 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah

Most gamers use the monitor the machine came with or those mid 100 to 200 buck displays. A few go far out with 120Hz displays but I rarely find those to be helpful.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.