Desktops forum

Gaming desktop configuration - please provide feedback!!

by tomortlieb / February 3, 2013 1:09 AM PST

Hey everyone,

I am very close to purchasing a gaming desktop from ibuypower, but was hoping to get some feedback first, as I am a novice. The specs are below. Please help!

COST: $1401

Case: AZZA Solaris Gaming Case - Blue

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion
[6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules

Processor: i7 3820 Processor (4x 3.60GHz/10MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 3820

Processor Cooling: Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-2011] - Standard 120mm Fan

Memory: 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module -

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 2GB - EVGA FTW - Core: 1084MHz - Single Card

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 -- 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16

Power Supply: 850 Watt - AZZA Dynamo 850W

Primary Hard Drive: 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive (this was a free update)

Flash Media Reader / Writer: 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System

Windows 8 Pro

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gaming desktop configuration - please provide feedback!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gaming desktop configuration - please provide feedback!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Just a few comments.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 1:14 AM PST

1. I'm sure you read this line.
"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. ",3106-4.html

Yes, I really like the i7 but go figure it will really help a game.

2. Nice video card choice.

3. The PSU has me worry. I can't tell if that is a single rail to keep you out of trouble. If it has 3 rails, then I'd change it to 2 or 1 rail.

Collapse -
Thanks for the response
by tomortlieb / February 3, 2013 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Just a few comments.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Do you have a better idea for the PSU? I went with a higher output in case of improvements down the line.Would the 750 Watt - Corsair CX750 work just as well?

Collapse -
Here's the explainer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 1:39 AM PST

Not a good one but here goes. For PSUs we worry about a few areas.

1. Is it big enough to do the job?
2. Does it have enough spare capacity for:
a. The user to add drives or other things?
b. Enough capacity to last for years as the PSU ages?

Your PC's maker and designer should know all this. Since I don't have links to the products and am not privy to the calculations the designer made my comments are just that. You would know this or the designer would. I can't guess this area but know that we need to be sure of the items I listed here.

Why do we install about double the Watts or Amperes on a new PC? Item 1 means we would not need to do that but 2b is where it gets interesting as these devices use a common part that degrades a lot in just a few years. If you watch others they often report cranky machines in just a year or two.

Collapse -
Very helpful
by tomortlieb / February 3, 2013 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the explainer.

Your response makes total sense - I will definitely look further into that and before I purchase the computer I will discuss it with a representative from the site. Thanks again so much for taking the time to help!

Collapse -
Glad it helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Very helpful

There are some folk that hate or love that supplier. I have no direct experience with them but will add one more thing.

If you purchase with a credit card there is a way (at least with my CC company) to dispute the charges and send it all back. Remember that Windows installation is still not a trivial task. That is, driver versions, order still matters.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.