Computer Help

General discussion

Games stuttering while playing games, in OS, and so on...

by Haikuna / May 25, 2013 3:53 AM PDT

So not so long ago, I was sitting playing some LoL, when all of the sudden my computer start lagging very bad, and some in-game sounds got bugged. So I tried to ignore it for a while, didn't help. I also installed Windows 8 on my machine afterwards, which did not help. I've tried it all, re-installing drivers, operating system, and many other things but none of it seems to work. So I was investigating the problem and I found out that my harddrive sometimes would just get a random delay time of 6000ms... So that may be the problem right?, get a new harddrive and it's all good, right? Not quite, you see one of my friends have an almost identical computer(Spec. wise, same cabinet and company too), and that didn't really seem to help him at all. It should be notet that he have the same problem as me. So could there be multiple reasons my computer is stuttering, or is it bad drivers? It just seems odd that it just all of the sudden happened. Anyways thanks for the help in advantage.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Games stuttering while playing games, in OS, and so on...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Games stuttering while playing games, in OS, and so on...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just for a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 3:56 AM PDT

Remove the side cove of the desktop and point a fan at the machine. Better, same or worse?

Good find on the HDD but it could be heat induced. And of course there are malware and rootkits as well but if you follow this forum you know Grif's advice.
Bob

Collapse -
Done that aswell.
by Haikuna / May 25, 2013 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Just for a test.

I have tried to clean the fans, and pointed a fan at it. (It should be notet that it is a laptop).
Though here earlier today I tried running a Diablo 2 server, I got so much stuttering that I could not play the game even though it is a very low demanding game. This should not happen since my computer has an i7 clocked at 3.3ghz, with 8 gigs of ram and a nVidia Gtx 675m. When I was not hosting the server the stuttering seemed to be less than before but still was there.

Collapse -
This is why you tell the make/model up front.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Done that aswell.

A laptop with an i7/GTX675m should be cutting edge and hot. Right or wrong that machine could indeed overheat and crash but the HDD could be suffering from the heat or just failing.

Since it's so high end, if it's out of warranty my thought is to get out the canned air again and put it on a cooling pad.

Some folk learn the lesson about gaming laptops firsthand.

If it's out of warranty I would also consider replacing all heat sink compounds (Arctic Silver) and cleaning as well as the cooler.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok.
by Haikuna / May 25, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

I will try that and get back to you as soon as possible.

Collapse -
Something I forgot to mention.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 6:05 AM PDT

A gamer whose name I won't tell, had lags like this and we tracked it down for them. Here's the short list.

1. They had USB drives plugged in.
2. They had network sharing turned on.
3. The machine did have a trojan infection.

Maybe it was just one of those but these items can cause a lag when you didn't expect it.
Bob

Collapse -
I've tried it...
by Haikuna / May 27, 2013 6:00 PM PDT

I've tried what you said with no changes what so ever. Basically it hasn't improved the performance of my computer. Though now there's just been more bugs than before. So here 10 minutes ago, I was sitting in my classroom, when suddenly I got blue screen(Windows 8 Version). I then discovered that it occured when I tried to connect to the schools network. I don't have that problem anymore but it just seems odd.

Collapse -
Then go with your best clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I've tried it...

We know Windows never did handle a bad disk read all that well. If the OS gets a bad read and that read was code to be run you could get a blue screen.

Your best clue is the HDD. These are cheaper than a service counter encounter so why not?

HOWEVER I get the feeling you want some ironclad, that's it answer. So far to get that you let the service center take it in.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.