Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Game won't run - no idea why

by sn0zb0z / June 15, 2009 6:19 AM PDT

I just installed a PC game (Spore) and now it won't run the main game. After it installed it just didn't do anything - the game has installed as it is listed in Programs and Features (Vista. Add/remove programs otherwise), but it shows no desktop icon and has nothing listed in the start menu.

If I go to My Computer and click to run the disc or I try taking the disc out and putting it back in, it will come up with the auto-run option, but then it just never runs. The computer sounds like it is loading something for a few seconds but never does anything.

I have tried restarting the computer. It didn't make a difference. There is nothing wrong with the disc drive - it was fine before as it went through the installing process.

I have uninstalled it and installed it again and still have the same problems. My computer meets the required specification for the game and is totally compatible with it. The disc is brand new - so no marks/scratches on it.

So is there anything I need to click (or something I've missed doing) or any other way I can get it to load?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Game won't run - no idea why
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Game won't run - no idea why
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contact EA
by Jimmy Greystone / June 15, 2009 6:28 AM PDT

Contact EA for support on this. There's a chance it could have something to do with the rather restrictive copy protection that made that game rather infamous, but odds are EA is going to have a better idea of what's going on than anyone here. Sorry to play pass the buck with you, but anyone here would likely just be fumbling around in the dark, whereas EA at least SHOULD have some people who are familiar with issues like this.

Collapse -
Thanks
by sn0zb0z / June 15, 2009 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Contact EA

I have checked the EA website, but there online support seems a bit rubbish lol. If no one can suggest anything else I'll contact them about it

Collapse -
Have you tried the Program Files directory?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 15, 2009 6:29 AM PDT

Not a Vista user myself yet, but if the software installed, (and if you installed it to the default directory, usually Program Files), have you looked in there for the Spore Program files folder? If so, look for the Spore .exe file and double click that.

If it works, then you can add a shortcut to your Desktop and/or your Start Menu yourself.

Mark

Collapse -
All files seem to be there
by sn0zb0z / June 15, 2009 6:39 AM PDT

It appears to have all the files. Only one that looks to be the file to run it says autorun and it fails to run it. The only file to have .exe is the SporeSetup and if you click that it thinks you want to uninstall it

If I search for an .exe file it doesn't find anything relating to the game

When looking through the folders/files the disc is working, but nothing will make it run the game

Collapse -
Then you need to do as Jimmy says,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 15, 2009 6:43 AM PDT

contact EA. Sorry.

Mark

Collapse -
Ok
by sn0zb0z / June 15, 2009 6:50 AM PDT

Thanks. I will try contacting them - hopefully their answer will be more hopeful then their online support lol

Collapse -
Spore Game Icon
by michaeleltiste / June 18, 2009 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok

My copy behaves exactly the same way.
1. you have to put the game disc in the drive.
2. run auto-play or launch the game from the disk using explorer.
3. I, manualy, created an icon on my desktop to point to this.

It's all part of their copy protection BS.

Collapse -
I got the game to run
by sn0zb0z / June 19, 2009 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Spore Game Icon

Thanks, but I already tried doing the auto run, in a number of ways, and it does not work

What it is with my game is that I had to look in SporeBin (not somewhere I really thought to look) and double click SporeApp. I then have to wait a few minutes before it loads up and then it is ok. But auto run and clicking on the normal icon to start the game doesn't work like it should.

Collapse -
game wont run-no idea why
by zapp747 / June 19, 2009 8:03 AM PDT

open up your game window this will give u a list of all games on your computer should be on there along with all your games

Collapse -
um...
by sn0zb0z / June 19, 2009 8:11 AM PDT

I have the game running now, but thanks

It isn't in any list. Only place it shows up is in add/remove programs and when you click to view what is on the disc. It hasn't saved under games like it is meant to and it isn't viewable anywhere else either for some reason

Collapse -
Games File
by reay11 / July 7, 2009 11:09 AM PDT

I had the same problem so i went on the EA website and it said to go into the games file under Start and an icon should be in there that will let it run. Worked for me so i hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks, but I already got it working
by sn0zb0z / July 7, 2009 7:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Games File

It already works, but thanks. It is not under the games file or anything else though - far as files are concerned it doesn't exist unless you open up the disc files or go to add/remove programs

The EA website was rubbish in my opinion. I even contacted them and they just copied and pasted their online support (which I'd spent ages looking through) even though I stated it wasn't listed there and explained everything. They assume on a Vista computer that if it isn't listed there the problem is compatibility, despite being a Vista compatible game. It wasn't my problem, the problem is simply the fact they put an important file in the bin under the disc files...

Collapse -
Game won't run - no idea why
by aliannahfth / July 10, 2009 4:28 PM PDT

Great Discussion

Collapse -
by sn0zb0z / July 10, 2009 8:15 PM PDT

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.