Samsung forum

Question

Galaxy tab 10.1

by blownup2007 / March 17, 2013 3:44 PM PDT

I had to root this galaxy tab to reinstall skype. followed all the directions. using oden3 to back the os to a earlier vertion so i could root it. All was well untill i started oden3 it went for a few seconds and then failed. windows closed the program. I tried again and again to get it to go but after that it just said the All threads complete fail. now all i get from the galaxy tab is "power reset or unknown upload mode" and it wont do anything?? need help where do i go from here?? Thanks in advance for your help. Don

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Galaxy tab 10.1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Galaxy tab 10.1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Add a little more detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Galaxy tab 10.1

The full model number and what country you bought it in as well as what country you are in so the Ambassador can get you the right contact or link.
Bob

Collapse -
Galaxy tab 10.1
by blownup2007 / March 18, 2013 4:01 AM PDT

the model: GT-P1000m bought and resides in Canada. Thanks for your reply. Don

Collapse -
Not sure about that letter m.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 4:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Galaxy tab
by blownup2007 / March 18, 2013 9:12 AM PDT

I went all through this because i installed Skype and it didn't work properly. i uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it. but kept coming up "not enough room to install" yet there was. i was told i had to delete a file i could not get to unless the machine was "rooted" looked it up very simple to do if all goes well. not in this case. there was no after market ROM involved just the OS the machine came with. That's the whole story.

Collapse -
The problem as I see it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Galaxy tab

Is that it's not supportable with that other ROM. And Skype should have been fine HOWEVER I am encountering folk that were expecting the same experience they had on a PC or Apple laptop. That's not what I'm seeing on Android today.

If you get it back to stock and Skype is not working then you have a possible warranty issue. And I'd keep mum about your foray into rooting.
Bob

Collapse -
Galaxy tab 10.1
by blownup2007 / March 18, 2013 9:37 AM PDT

Its way out of warranty. the problem with Skype was that it worked but the picture was upside down on on end or the other. So i tried an upgrade. but it wouldn't go so i opted to remove and reinstall. now this. no joy. i have run into a nother problem now. the tab is dead and will only come to life if the charger is used and the pc will not see it at all. where to go from here?? Thanks again for all the help. Don

Collapse -
The link above looked very complete.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 9:43 AM PDT

But if the hardware is failing such as the battery is not holding a charge then it's anyone's guess what's busted.

How many months of use did you get from this one?
Bob

PS. The office has been working on Android apps so we have a few tablets but wonder about life span. Still too soon to tell except we do know that some only last as long from your hand to the pavement.

Collapse -
Galaxy tab 10.1
by blownup2007 / March 18, 2013 9:57 AM PDT

The battery is over two years old but was fine until i had this problem is there any way to charge it when it won't boot. or will it not charge until it boots?? It belongs to my mother. i don't think it has been dropped. it has had a leather case around it the hole time

Collapse -
If it does not charge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 10:02 AM PDT

I'm thinking it needs service. I used google to find a video on how to get inside to put in a new battery if you feel like taking a chance on that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7PbtJ746a8

Since you are rooting and all that, I didn't duplicate any advice about the various resets.
Bob

Collapse -
galaxy tab 10.1
by blownup2007 / March 18, 2013 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: If it does not charge.

Is there a reset to charge the battery when it is completely dead. some trick to get it to charge?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: galaxy tab 10.1

But if you watch the video it becomes clear that the battery connector could pop off and I hope you can guess that most of the above could result. It's so far out of warranty that what is there to lose?
Bob

Collapse -
galaxy tab 10.1
by blownup2007 / March 18, 2013 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

It worked last night till about mid night it turned itself off and that was it so the battery is connected. I just need it charged so i can try the firmware update.

Collapse -
Again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: galaxy tab 10.1

Connections like I saw in the video can be unreliable. Did you dive in and unplug/plug it back on just to be sure?

Not much to lose here.
Bob

Collapse -
Galaxy tab 10.1
by blownup2007 / March 19, 2013 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Again.

I will give it a try. right now only when i plug it in i get a pic of a phone with a line to a computer. with a yellow question mark in the middle. it goes on and off. when i unplug it it just goes dead?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This forum does bottom out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 1:25 AM PDT

So if there is a question to field here be sure folk can reply.
Bob

PS. I don't have much more to add except given the story I would be inside in a flash along with my Volt meter to see if the battery is holding a charge.

PPS. These batteries get about 300 cycles before needing replacement. You may encounter folk that hope they last past a few years.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.