Samsung

Question

Galaxy player 4.2 won't use my 32GB external SD card

by wswilson3 / March 29, 2013 7:02 AM PDT

New Galaxy player 4.2 bought with 32GB SD card. Seems to see the card and tells me it is empty when I look at storage, but I can't get anything to go on it. So, when I fill up the internal SD card that is built in, I can't put anything else on. I bought this because it has the extra storage and GPS. Citymaps2go pro has lots of offline maps, but nothing will go onto the 32GB SD card and the internal one is full. This doesn't make sense. Presumably I should be able to use the card. I ichatted Samsung and they eventually told me to try a different SD card. I will, but I think the one I have is fine. I'm sort of desperate, as this defeats the whole purpose of this thing. Thanks for any help, Steve

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Galaxy player 4.2 won't use my 32GB external SD card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Galaxy player 4.2 won't use my 32GB external SD card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: external card
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 7:28 AM PDT

Since you bought it with the card, I'd consider it DOA. That should result in either a new phone or a new card. It might be useful to try another card (first 16 GB, then 32 GB) and to try this card in another Galaxy. That's exactly what the shop will do when you return the package.

No need to despair. This seems a clear warranty case. Any decent shop should handle this without any hassles.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
A recent change in Android meant apps don't move there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 8:28 AM PDT

It's pretty well discussed but for now such can hold mp3s, videos, photos and data but moving apps there was removed by google a long time ago.

Since it's well discussed I'll stop here to see what you respond with.
Bob

Collapse -
Shot in the dark
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 8:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's for versions prior to Jelly Bean.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Shot in the dark
Collapse -
Shot in the dark.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 9:03 AM PDT

Sorry Bob, didn't know it was JellyBean. I'm on ICS on a tablet, don't own a 'phone.
Answers are no,no,and no.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
external SD card use
by wswilson3 / March 29, 2013 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Shot in the dark.

Thanks much for all the suggestions. My android is 2.3.6 and I have the option to "move to sd card" but it seems they mean move to the internal SD card, not my external SD card. Seems that the external one is only good for music and photos and such and apps and their info have to go on the internal one, at least as far as I can tell. So I fell for the "8GB expandable w/SD card" trick. I'd be tempted to send it back for false advertising, but it is the only thing I could find that wasn't a phone and had GPS and lots of apps I wanted. I had to toss the wiki off-line to make room for more important things. Bummer. Anyone who knows a product of similar size, more memory, with GPS and lots of apps, I'll still send it back. I'm really an Apple person but the iPod Touch doesn't have GPS. Anyway, thanks for trying all. Steve

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.