Android

Alert

Galaxy Note battery problem?

by artkul--2008 / March 22, 2013 5:18 PM PDT

The problem is following: when battery drops under 50% voodoo magic starts, display starts to acting weird, its getting brighter and darker, network disables time to time, and about 30% phone just turns off. When turning on, battery is 1%. I just want to confirm this is battery issue from more experienced users before buying new one. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Galaxy Note battery problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Galaxy Note battery problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never saw that happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 1:14 AM PDT

I do not own the Note. BUT since one can change the level the alert changes at, sure, why not?
Do you feel that the user should not have access to such controls?

There are a few broken units out there and it does seem that a person with a broke unit will post (they call it cross posting) to a hundred forums to scream there is a problem. Sorry, but if that was a real issue you would find CNET write an article about it. If you are fearful of this, why buy it?
Bob

Collapse -
what are you talking about?
by jan-77 / March 28, 2013 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Never saw that happen.

what are you talking about? It seems your sneer is totally not related to the question. I have the same problem as artkul.

Collapse -
Not a sneer.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 10:29 AM PDT

Bob,s post is good. the clues are there.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Here's another place to ask for help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 10:42 AM PDT

The CNET Samsung Forum at link -> http://forums.cnet.com/samsung-forum/

If you felt my questions were a sneer, no. As we see more technical things go to folk that just want it to work there is some thought that settings may have to be removed from view.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, it is a real issue
by Mike_dornby / May 24, 2013 12:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Notice they didn't test this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 3:24 AM PDT

And you do have that issue with Verizon and carriers loading up pre-installed apps that cause such a drain.

You'll see this issue on many phones and if you look around, this model is not a standout in battery times, high or low.

In fact, I can reduce battery time by turning everything on and run certain apps.

-> Are you seeing what I'm seeing? That is, folk don't want to know what's going on, they just want.
Bob

Collapse -
I have that problem too!
by LycaWolfus / March 28, 2013 11:53 PM PDT

It only recently started for me though. I've only been using it for a month or so

Collapse -
re
by lyeileen / April 4, 2013 8:04 PM PDT

May be the phone's hardware have some issues, take it to the service center for checking.

Collapse -
re
by Etechnology / April 8, 2013 11:08 PM PDT

The only solution is to stop using a microSD card.Thats what I did.

Collapse -
MicroSd card
by richroberts972 / April 9, 2013 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: re

true. I have done it like you and it works, but only for a short time. it is still there, do you have any other options ???. I have use the hard reset, and format my mass memory, but still can not recover.

Collapse -
Note
by eugenerudenko / April 11, 2013 12:12 AM PDT

If the device is under the warranty I'd simply return it back.

Collapse -
the problem
by dhruv_GAtech / April 12, 2013 8:11 AM PDT

From what I've found on the internet and my experience.
The problem has something to do with the recent ICS upgrade that they released.

Lemme know if there is some other solution.
I ordered a new battery just in case

Collapse -
pl
by mario9983 / April 18, 2013 6:39 PM PDT
In reply to: the problem

Yeah that is right .I have read that the ICS upgrade may be the problem as well.

Collapse -
by nipuhoq / April 20, 2013 7:23 PM PDT

If the galaxy have warranty you can inform customer care nor warranty you can buy new cell. It some time unfortunate .

Collapse -
Calibrating Battery
by hamidAWC / April 23, 2013 9:30 PM PDT

Have you tried calibrating your Battery?
It may be helpful and worth a try

You just need to follow these steps on your Rooted phone:
1. Download Battery Calibration from Google Play
2. Use the phone or tablet as much as the power goes off
3. Plug the charger in and turn on the device
4. Open the Battery Calibration app
5. Wait until the charge is full
6. Leave the phone for about 20 minutes with the charger, after the charge is full
7. Now choose the Battery Calibrate option on the App
8. Your battery is calibrated now

Source: http://androidwidgetcenter.com/android-tips/how-to-calibrate-android-battery/

Collapse -
Galaxy Note battery problem?
by Harshada321 / May 28, 2013 10:12 PM PDT

I have also same problem in Galaxy note battery that because of,
I believe it simply doesn't fully charge anymore. A couple of weeks back it started saying 'battery fullycharged, please unplug charger' and when I do it turns out it's not 100% but sometimes as little as 45% or 60%. If I unplug it and then plug it in the message would reapper again and again after a few minutes which is really annoying. I can't charge my phone overnight anymore because I'm unable to monitor the progress of charging.

Collapse -
How old?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 10:58 PM PDT

In case folk aren't aware the battery looks to be a 300 cycle affair just like most laptop and tablet batteries. So you will have battery issues eventually.

This thread started on 3/13/2013 so in your case it looks well inside the warranty which means it's no problem yet as you have the maker fix it.

All devices with batteries will have this failure and such a discussion will be found and be used as proof of a problem. And since we know batteries do this eventually, there is no dispute there is a problem.
Bob

Collapse -
Same problem here ...
by elsa_miranda / May 30, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

My husband and I own a Galaxy Note (GT-N7000) and are experiencing the same issue on both phones, the problem developed a week apart just after the "1 year warranty mark" (nice ... Sad ). We have been reading A LOT of complaints and forums about this problem and until now the only solution we have found is to buy a new battery (it should be swollen and fatter). We are running jelly bean on both phones.

Most related forums go by "screen flickering issue Galaxy Note"...

Collapse -
Even I have noticed that....
by John_Farrel / September 11, 2013 10:21 PM PDT

Yeah that's the common problem with almost all Android devices. And I just hate that screen's weird reaction while low battery. Even a new battery starts behaving that strange. Can anybody state the reason behind that?

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by Magz Patience / September 16, 2013 12:32 AM PDT

- I know its the battery though as I have two batteries for my Note 1. I don't get the flickering screen or the phone cutting off and coming back on with a drop in battery charge from 100% to 1% with the other battery! Try another battery - very cheap on Amazon.com.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.