Computer Help forum

General discussion

GAH! slow computer, laggy games, HELP!

by twitchandfidget / August 29, 2006 10:56 AM PDT

ok, i gotta problem that needs solving. I have a computer (im not the only one using it, my whole family uses it too) and its slow. Its so annoying when im playing my games, and i die because of lag, or my parents get frustrated because its so slow on the internet and other applications. Heres my specs, if im missing any i'll try to find them and put them on this forum.

Operating System- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Processor- AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+ (speed-1666 MHz)

Video Card- RADEON 9250 Series

Computer Manufacturer and Model- ASUS A7V33

Current RAM- 512, and 2 empty slots of more

Total hardedrive capacity- 38.02 GB, 18.10GB used

Sound Card- Made by C-media Model- CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Network Card- SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211TX) - Packet Scheduler Miniport

OK thats it a think, PLS HELP! oh btw i think my problem is RAM, not enough to go around for the computer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GAH! slow computer, laggy games, HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GAH! slow computer, laggy games, HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think it's the value machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2006 10:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
by twitchandfidget / August 30, 2006 2:47 AM PDT

wow youre right, looks like a bad video card, but i dont think i'll be buying one anytime soon. thanks for the help.

Collapse -
You detail your PC....
by GeeBee / August 29, 2006 11:29 PM PDT

...but not actually what your playing, and at what settings and detail levels! So figuring out what your problem is, not happening beyond the general.

But let's get to the bit you do detail (slightly) first.

''...my parents get frustrated because its so slow on the internet and other applications''.

Computers have no problems with the internet as this is a low power task that is easy for them to do, and your family computer is more than enough for that. Slow speeds has always been an indicator of a slow connection, but you don't detail (either) whether you are connecting via the Network card, to a router, to a broadband connection or whatever. If you connect to the internet though an old slow modem, the only way to speed it up is with a high speed connection and account.

But for the sake of argument you should pop over to :

Ad-Aware Personal Edition SE

and download/install/run. This will remove any spyware which can suck up internet connection speeds. After that go here :

Panda Virus Scan

To do a virus scan on your PC. When you click the ''Scan Your PC'' button (Internet Explorer only) a window will pop open while it begins to run the scan. If you are on a dial up connection, once the scan begins you can log off (I'll tell you this, so read those window boxes!), as the scan will likely take a few hours to check all the files on your computer. Virus programs are another thing that can suck up internet speeds, as they quietly attack other computers on the internet without you being aware that they are using your connection.

As far as general gaming issues and low frame rates (lag is the delay you see when other players in an internet game jerk around slowly and out of time), we'd need to know what games you play and at what settings, but a Radeon 9250 is not a fast powerful graphics card by any stretch of the imagination.

''oh btw i think my problem is RAM, not enough to go around for the computer.''

You can ignore that too. It's not as if the computer is a little pixie saying ''4 people get 128meg of RAM each!'' for instance! Wink

Good luck family,

GeeBee.

Collapse -
by twitchandfidget / August 30, 2006 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: You detail your PC....

ok. im playing war rock. its a beta right now but expansion packs are going to be available later. I also play battlefeild 1942, but i stopped because it was really slow when. on all my games i put the settings as low as possible most of the time to get a better performance.

as for my internet connection i have a comcast Motorola SB5120 cable modem.

thanks for the help.

Collapse -
I don't know what they were on...
by GeeBee / August 30, 2006 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

...when the wrote the system specs of "War Rock" but clearly someone's done some bad research there.

"Recommended Spec :
FX5700 / ATI 9200"

The FX5700 is litterally a power house compared to the wheezingly slow 9200 series. It's at least twice as powerful as a standard 9200. Even worse though, most 9250's were "SE" versions, and this only made things worse for them. If they were slow before, the SE's were twice as bad! Happy It's not surprising you're having to try games with lowest options and resolutions. Sadly there's nothing you can do about it, because overclocking and mounting fans to keep it cool, will only gain a frame or two improvement...which would be pointless.

"Recommended Spec :
Pentium 4, 2.0Ghz"

Your PC is right on the money there, as the 1600Mhz AMD Athlon is XP2000+ rated.

"Recommended Spec :
512MB RAM or better"

Again you're smack on there too, but with you graphics card being the slowest part, adjusting or adding to anything else won't help game speed. You'll have to stick to older games, like BF 1942, which have lower hardware requirements than something like War Rock. Sorry.

The Comcast modem seems to be a 512kbps (512 kilobits per second = 64K per second) broadband option. Test the speed of your connection here :

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

If it's performing nearly up to that speed (they never reach quite as high as they're rated) using the internet should not be slow, unless your parents think the internet is like the talking computer on the Star Trek Enterprise bridge. Things just aren't that quick yet! Wink

If your connection speed scores very badly in the tests, use the links I provided previously to make sure you are not spyware and virus infected.

Good luck,

GB.

Collapse -
what type...
by twitchandfidget / August 31, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

what type of vido card should i be looking at to replace my 9250? i dont want to spend a lot of money, but somthing that will be a lot better then this one so i can play games and enjoy them.

Collapse -
Just about anything
by john_mcdoogle / August 31, 2006 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: what type...

Virtually any card you buy will be heads and shoulders above a 9250 when it comes to 3D game performance.

I'd suggest figuring out what your budget is first, then look around at a few online retail shops, or local places if you like, and make note of all the cards in your price range. Then hit review sites like Tom's Hardware to see which card seems to offer the best bang for the buck. You may not find the exact same card as you see in a store or on a site, but similar cards can give you a good idea of what you could expect. Just be careful of any GeForce FX 5700 cards you come across. The actual card is quite long, and won't fit into most cases from the likes of Dell, HP/Compaq, etc. It also helps to make sure you have an extra 4-pin power plug free from your power supply in your computer. Otherwise, you'll need to pick up a Y-splitter, since most video cards require a secondary power feed, beyond what the AGP/PCI-E bus supplies.

Also, it would be prudent to make sure you don't have any malware/virus issues as well. A new video card will help, but it may not be the solution to all your problems. You should also do an inventory of all the programs you have running/installed, and ask yourself whether or not you really need them.

Collapse -
There may be simpler problems here...
by skycatcher / August 31, 2006 8:59 PM PDT

If your parents are complaining about it, and they are not playing speed hungry games.... try a clean up and get rid of all the whistles and bells.

Firstly a full Antivirus and Spyware scan is called for - http:\\www.trendmicro.com - Free Virus Scan (it's a trusted site so no panic). Also do a Scandisk or ChkDsk - I'm not well up on XP but I know it requires a re-start to do it.

If you have tons of icon on the bottom-right of your screen, you've got far too much stuff running in the background. Get rid of everything that is not absolutely essential. Winpatrol is free and can help here as it offers the facility to 'Disable' a startup without Deleting it - you can then switch it back on later if it's wanted (DON'T disable the Microsoft Corporation stuff or your Antivirus). Also make sure you are running a good Firewall to prevent others using your PC as a spam server. Make sure Windows Update is completed fully. Empty the Temp folder and the Recycle bin and the Windows Explorer Temporary files, History and Cookies. A registry checker/cleaner also works wonders.

Uninstall everything that you don't use any more. Run CCleaner (with everything checked) and do a Defrag. You can also switch off a lot of unwanted special effects that XP provides for people who want a good looking desktop instead of a fast PC.

Collapse -
slow poke games
by tfenton3 / August 31, 2006 10:10 PM PDT

add an exact ram to your system; see ''4AllMemory.com''

Install a registery fix softwear and run it once a week.

Check out increasing your virtual memory, use all of it!

Defrag weekly.

Turn ''off'' all apps that load at startup; except virus protection. See: System Configuration Utility)

Speed will increase to it's max potential.

Good Luck

Tim

Collapse -
Slow and Freeze-up
by Dr. Joseph J. Romol MD / September 1, 2006 12:37 AM PDT

I have heard that if you buy a disk that Defracments you computer atomaticly will make your computer faster. Any ideas?

Thank you
Dr. Joseph J. Romolo
drrommd@msn.com

Collapse -
Slow
by micker377 / September 1, 2006 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Slow and Freeze-up

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if your hard drive is running on the proper DMA speed. If it has reverted back to PIO, this will slow down everything you are complaining about (games, general use due to "Swap File" speed).

Collapse -
slow computer.
by dollphyn62 / September 1, 2006 10:34 PM PDT

your memory may be the culprit, but with everyone using the computer, it may be a case of no-one putting files and docs in organized places, as well as anyone cleaning up old duplicate files or defraging the computer. though memory can sometimes cause lagging in games due to not enough of it being available, it can also just be a case of not keeping files etc in an orderly way. seems like when computers came in and available, the file cabnets of some of us being sloppy and over full with junk transfered from the paper drawers to the files in our computers. Try to get everyone to go through their stuff and empty out the junk and see if that doesn't help. the ultimate solution maybe just to get your own computer the way you want it and avoid using the community computer.

Collapse -
Not
by Merranvo / September 2, 2006 7:24 PM PDT

Heh, little pun for a day or so...

I believe that if your system is slow even while not playing games then you obviously have a clogged system. Personally I would then backup everything and reinstall windows, it is much easier then tracing down culprits.

Also, watch what you download. Too much trialware will cause drains on your system (they tend to run a program to make sure you aren't attempting to cheat the deadline.

Also all those good for nothing browserbars drain system resources.

Your 'load on boot' IM thingy, Quicktime task icon, I tunes quicklaunch... stuff... drains system resources.

It is in my experiance that people who have slow systems only have them because they clogg their system up with crapware programs. (and some strange people 'like' the broken crapware programs)

Collapse -
hiii reply to ur question
by Jeff Saunders / September 3, 2006 2:45 PM PDT

hii i am not a an expert but as i have face some of this problems so i can share something to you .
firstly the problem is not bcoz of the RAM its enough
first u try to figure out pressing ctrl+alt+delete goto task manager and check the processes and check the tasks and after that then performance after that if u can see some unwanted applications running kill those and go to run command type msconfig and select the startup tab and deselect the unwanted startup applications and lastly remove the unwanted programms from the list and every time do the Cleanup it will delete the waste files

Collapse -
Sounds like a combination of things
by axekick / September 3, 2006 7:20 PM PDT

Hello. Your computer is substandard compared to what I typically see on the games I play. Your processor, video card, hard drive and I assume it is slow memory though 512meg is probably adequate for that system. The most important thing is your internet connection. If you are trying to play on a dialup connection you are suffering a severe deficeit from that alone. A good dsl or cable internet connection is the best thing you can do to improve your gaming experiece. Personally I would not invest too much money in that system as it sounds like every piece of hardware could stand upgrading, but they should all work well together. Im no expert but have been gaming online for many years from computers far below your specs to a currently reasonable performance computer. I suggest seeking games that play better on your system as some games simply require state of the art hardware to play them competetively. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.