Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

FYI: Microsoft delivers Office 2010 Service Pack 1

by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 28, 2011 9:03 AM PDT

Microsoft made available for download the final version of Service Pack (SP) 1 for Office 2010 on June 28.

Microsoft released a first beta of the service pack in November 2010. In May of this year, Microsoft officials said to expect the final SP1 bits to be out by the end of June 2011.

SP1 consists of cumulative and public updates to date for the various point products that are part of Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010. Products that will get fixes and updates include Office 2010 suites, Project 2010, Visio 2010, Office 2010 servers, Office Web Apps, Search Server 2010, SharePoint 2010 Products and FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint. Microsoft is planning to update all 40 SKU languages for Office when SP1 ships.

Office Web Apps, Microsoft's Webified versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote are being updated as part of SP1. Chrome browser support is now official for Office Web Apps, as of today.

Among some of the other fixes in Office 2010 Sp1:

• Outlook fixes an issue where "Snooze Time" would not reset between appointments.
• The default behavior for PowerPoint "Use Presenter View" option changed to display the slide show on the secondary monitor.
• Integrated community content in the Access Application Part Gallery.
• Better alignment between Project Server and SharePoint Server browser support.
• Improved backup / restore functionality for SharePoint Server
• The Word Web Application extends printing support to "Edit Mode."
• Project Professional now synchronizes scheduled tasks with SharePoint task lists.
• Internet Explorer 9 "Native" support for Office Web Applications and SharePoint

The 32-bit version of Office 2010 SP1 is downloadable here; the 64-bit version is here.

Continued (with additional fixes) here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-delivers-office-2010-service-pack-1/9844

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FYI: Microsoft delivers Office 2010 Service Pack 1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FYI: Microsoft delivers Office 2010 Service Pack 1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Update is offering me Office 2010 SP1 32-bit ver
by michhala / July 1, 2011 2:48 PM PDT

I feel I should be cautious about installing this update; but in the event I get brave all of a sudden, will someone please tell me if I should install both the 32-bit and 64-bit.
My thanks.....Miki
Dell Studio XPS, Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit, IE9

Collapse -
What I would do
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 1, 2011 10:14 PM PDT

I would only download the update version relevant to your version of Office 2010. You can check that from within any component of Office, eg Word, by clicking the ? question mark, then go to "About Word". See what version you have.

Alternatively, in that ? menu, is there an option to "Check for updates"?

Mark

Collapse -
Sorry took so long to reply.....
by michhala / July 3, 2011 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: What I would do

I am using Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010, 32-bit and, yes I do have an option to check for updates.
As part of my Office 2010 suite, in All Programs I have Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Word and Tools (digital certificate for VBA projects, clip oganizer, language preferences, upload center, picture manager, and anytime upgrade). On Product Activated, One-Note is also listed. My Windows Update is 316.9 MB.....there are programs that are part of MS Home and Business that I don't use/have and do not want to get added on.
Happy Fourth, Mark......Miki

Collapse -
And a Happy 4th to you too.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 10:12 PM PDT

Sadly, being in the UK, we don't get a day off for your July 4th Independence Day celebrations.

But then, since you are celebrating independence from the tyrannical rule of the British Monarchy, I'm not so sure it would be right for us to celebrate anyway! Devil

If you only want Word updated, I would use that "Check for updates" within Word.

Mark

Collapse -
And what did they get back for it?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 10:38 PM PDT

A tyrannical rule of BO. Wink
Hardly an improvement. They should have known better in 1776.

Kees

Collapse -
Ohh, a contentious post!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 4, 2011 5:05 AM PDT

They would 'love' you in Speakeasy. Ohh wait, I see you visit there often and nearly always submit contentious posts! Devil

Mark

Collapse -
By the way, Mark
by michhala / July 4, 2011 11:05 AM PDT

Using "Check for Updates" on Word or any programs in the suite takes me back to the original MS Update of 316.9 MB.

Office Watch quote: Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is now available for download, if you want to be a guinea pig for Microsoft.

Miki

Collapse -
Difficult one
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 4, 2011 8:46 PM PDT
In reply to: By the way, Mark

especially so when I know your requirement to keep your system er... bare to the bone! Happy

Since the update offered through Word's option only offers the full update, then you have to decide whether you want to install the whole update, or nothing.

It's an easy choice for me, but I see your difficulty.

Mark

Collapse -
In the "old" days.....
by michhala / July 5, 2011 5:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Difficult one

....in the past when I ordered my 1st and 2nd Dell Computers, they came with a full version of Microsoft Office Home and Business installed, along with the Microsoft Office Home and Business CD. When I was building my new and current Dell, I had the option to "customize" Office Home and Business 2010 by choosing only the software I needed Dell to install and, of course, there was no CD. I did find a Microsoft website that separately listed software downloads for Office Home and Business SP1......and then negated it all by saying the best way to get the SP1 was through Windows Update.

I would sure like to hear from someone who has installed Office SP1 and who could tell me that the download allows for choosing the software you want.

Miki

Collapse -
Re: updates
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: In the "old" days.....

Updates only update the programs you have installed. They don't add new programs. They don't even ask for it.
So it's safe to run that update. I just did a few days ago (via Windows update indeed). No problems.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees...thank you so much.....
by michhala / July 7, 2011 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: updates

I appreciate......Miki

Collapse -
version of office 2010
by imgrateful_1 / August 21, 2011 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: What I would do

Mark,
I tried what you said in your reply instructions to go to any component and click on the ? Wellll. I did that, but what comes up from my (?) is a drop list for help. I didn't see anything for being able to go to About Word. My MS HOME & Student cd was purchased at our local staples store when I upgraded to my TOSH. WIN 7 64-bit. It was installed by the technitian at Staples. There is nothing on the box with the cd that says its for 64-bit O.S. Thanks.

Collapse -
Strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 21, 2011 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: version of office 2010

Did you click the Help option?

Before 'ribbon technology' appeared, all applications that conformed to the Microsoft standard had a Help menu option in the menu toolbar and when that was clicked, there was an "About xxxx", where xxxx is the name of the application.

With ribbon technology, Help is often replaced by a ? but since I don't use any Microsoft products with this ribbon, I can't test it myself.

So I'm stumped. There should be an "About Word" option somewhere.

Mark

Collapse -
Speaking of Office 2010...
by VAPCMD / July 15, 2011 10:46 PM PDT

Is it best to first remove/uninstall Office 2007 before installing Office 2010 ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
As I understand it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 6:04 AM PDT

They can both live together, but I would ensure that you check the installation path during the install process, to make sure it doesn't install in any same folders as the Office 2007 files.

There's a link below about it;
http://www.nerdgrind.com/how-to-install-office-2010-and-office-2007-together/

Personally, i would uninstall Office 2007 and reboot the computer afterwards, before installing Office 2010. But that's just my choice.

Mark

Collapse -
Installing Office 2010
by VAPCMD / July 16, 2011 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: As I understand it

Mark...

Thanks....that's my usual course of action but just thought I'd check if the thinking is uninstalling the old or just installing the new (2010) over the old (2007).

I thought of the trying BOTH but not sure I want to go that route.

I also picked up Adobe Acrobat X Pro and want to get Office 2010 installed and setup before installing Acrobat.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Yep, that's how I would do it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2011 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Installing Office 2010

If you have decided that you're not going to be using Office 2007 again, then if you were me, (if I were you?), then I would uninstall it.

Mark

Collapse -
Followed the tried and true method..made a full image
by VAPCMD / July 18, 2011 12:43 PM PDT

back of my C partition, then uninstalled Office 2007, Adobe Acrobat 7 Pro...rebooted.

Installed Office 2010 Pro and Adobe Acrobat X Pro ....downloaded and ran the updates followed by another image backup.

Went without any hiccups ...even Outlook started backup, reconnected with the mail messages on my D: drive and sent/received messages.

Boring, uneventful...and successful.

Thanks and hope this helps.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
That's great
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 18, 2011 9:11 PM PDT

I didn't think it would work! Devil

Mark

Collapse -
knowing which version of MS WORD
by imgrateful_1 / August 21, 2011 9:14 AM PDT

oooH WOW! Computers give me a headache. lol. I have a WIN 7 64-bit home premium. Purchased from our local staples. The technicitian installed Office Home and Student 2010. That was February. So from your post I need to know if I should update then? But as usual there is always a question on getting in a hurry for updates. My OFFICE HOME (on a cd also from staples) Am I to assume it is for my computer exclusivly? (64-bit) Our other computer is a VISTA home prem. but a 32-bit. the MS WORD program (2006) quit working on the VISTA. So I was thinking to make it simple I could uninstall that one and install from the cd that is presently on mine on the VISTA. I installed openoffice as a back up on the VISTA until I can get the MS word problem resolved. Also, is ccleaner ok to use after uninstalling most any program? Grif referenced Windows installer cleanup in another message in the forum. But I did some checking on that in forum postings on the WIN installer Cleanup. Sounds like some people have had problems with it cleaning up to much. I will be glad for some help. imgrateful_1 always.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.