Windows Vista forum

General discussion

FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt Does ANYONE know what this is?

by dslagter / February 19, 2007 11:01 AM PST

I have just completed 2 completely clean installs of Vista Ultimate. Yes, I reformatted the entire drive NTFS with my WinXP disk first.

Being a "clean" nut I naturally hunted down any unnecessary files, but can NOT delete this file in my Users/MyName/AppData/Local/Temp folder.

Google searches only produce 2 hits !!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt Does ANYONE know what this is?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt Does ANYONE know what this is?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My Guess - Microsoft Fax/Print related
by FLLaw33870 / February 19, 2007 12:01 PM PST

I can only guess that it is related to the fxsapi.dll file which has to do with Windows Fax/Print capability. Google the fxsapi.dll file.

The text file you find in your temp file is in mine as well.

When I clean out my temp files there are always files I can't delete for they are in use or in memory preventing their release.

I wouldn't worry about the text (Debug log) file. Since it is on my computer as well and there is a legitimate name related .dll file, i.e. fxsapi.dll it should be nothing to be concerned about.

But if I were a betting man I would say it is a text file related to Microsoft Fax or Print function.

What did I win???? What did I win???? Happy

Collapse -
Cannot Delete FXAPIDebugLogFile.txt
by mytmo / April 16, 2010 4:40 PM PDT

I figured it out after much frustration:

I went into Turn Windows Features on and off

Under Microsoft Net Framework 3.0
Unchecked the XPS

Under Printer and Fax
Unchecked this Service

Click ok and it took a while, and needed to reboot, then I was able to delete this pesky file and I think I noticed a dramatic improvement in my speed

Collapse -
Fix by mytmo
by electra1965 / October 6, 2010 2:22 AM PDT

Thanks for posting how to delete this file. I could have never done it without your post!!

Collapse -
Quick solve
by jpi2009 / January 6, 2011 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: Fix by mytmo

It might me easier if you just put the "print spooler" service (in services.msc) to manual & stopped.

Collapse -
by lightninz / May 25, 2012 11:50 PM PDT

I was concerned over this file also, I can't see any difference in this the amount of space used is 0 bytes in my system.

Collapse -
cannot delete file yet
by sborah / January 5, 2014 2:19 AM PST

everytime i get this error...

"An error Has occur. Notall of the features were successfully change"

Collapse -
Just FYI.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 5, 2014 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: cannot delete file yet

This post is 2511 days old.

Collapse -
This thread is more than 2511 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2014 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: cannot delete file yet

It's a safe bet the original issue is either resolved or cured by other replies. If you have a new issue, it's time to start a new discussion.

Collapse -
There's no need to delete it...
by abhinav.k / February 22, 2011 11:02 AM PST

This log file always remains at 0 bytes. (Well, I don't use Fax feature) So why you need to delete it?

Collapse -
True enuff
by RipDiction / March 8, 2011 11:09 PM PST

There is no need to delete and unless you uncheck the fax/printer service the file will just come back anyway.

Right click taskbar and select task manager

End explorer.exe process

Select file/new task/%temp%

Delete the file

Select file/new task/explorer.exe/OK

Restart and back at desktop click Start/run/%temp%

Sheesh, there it is again.

As the dude mentioned UNCHECKING the fax/printer service. In the event you have neither plugged to the system and do not need the service.

The short, the file is not a big deal don't worry about it.

Collapse -
by KHAIMANG / April 10, 2011 8:01 PM PDT
In reply to: True enuff

The file is harmless. However, if you're like me, I hate "temp" files. If you're determined to remove it from the Windows Temp folder, all you have to do is download the FREE, very small utility called, "Unlocker v1.90". Simply Google. Install it.
(It will be added to your Context Menu).

1. Go into Windows Explorer, navigate to your "Temp" folder.
2. Simply right-click the folder or file and select Unlocker from the drop-down menu.
3. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of lockers will appear.
4. Simply click "Unlock All" and you are done!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.