Laptops forum

Future problem with pre-installed software?

by Andrew Hay-20900845433326 / November 6, 2012 2:24 AM PST

Last year I bought a new (ASUS) laptop computer. Some software (and crapware) was already included and installed along with the OS:- Windows 7 Home Premium.
The other day, I had to change the Hard Drive (for the 1st time) on my 9 year old Desktop.
After installing my old copy of Windows XP Pro (YES, original) I started thinking.
What happens if something happened to the hard drive of the laptop?
Effectively I have paid for the copy of Windows 7 Home Premium which came pre-installed and as many manufactures, nowadays (ASUS included) depend on "Recovery" partitions instead of the installation discs, this is no use if the drive breaks down completely. They don't provide the installation discs any more.
When I first bought the laptop, I made a recovery disc, well 5 really!!
Your thoughts please about this method of ONLY having recovery partitions instead of discs.
What have you done or not done about this potential future problem?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Future problem with pre-installed software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Future problem with pre-installed software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Pardon the word but it is foolish to depend on that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 1:31 AM PST

I can only guess that the owner decided to dismiss all warnings about making the recovery media and while most know they should most will not duplicate the recovery media for safe keeping.

The users are for the most part foolish. They will lash out at the makers for not supplying the media but here's what I've learned over the years.

"Say, this model came with restore media. Let's use those."

The next words are they lost them. Most owners don't know where the stuff that came with the PC is.

-> This is one good reason why folk are flocking to tablets. Think about it.

Collapse -
I don't think foolish is the correct word....

Maybe I need to clarify myself better.
The software, including the crapware and more importantly, the OS (in this case Windows 7 Home Premium) is/was already installed on the Laptop. There are NO Discs for any software at all.
I think this is a BIG problem as many companies nowadays depend too much on Recovery partitions IMHO.

As I said in my original post, I DID make a recovery disk (which turned out to be 5 DVDs in total) when I first bought the Laptop. I have been told that it is a carbon copy of the Hard Drive at the time of purchase and therefore should I need to change Hard Drive due to it failing, I can use this to recover everything as though the computer had just left the factory, is this true? How often should I make a recovery Disc?

As for not knowing where the original CDs etc are, they are all in my cupboard, on the top shelf, in a box. I agree that many people don't back-up or do recovery discs. I always back up my documents, music and photos on to DVDs.

Collapse -
So you can fix that too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 7:00 AM PST

Before I boot my new PC I use CLONEZILLA to save an image of the drive before I boot it for the first time. I can go back to the exact image as if it was right out of the box.

As to the recovery media, I've used it and it did install EVERYTHING. But this was on only a few names such as Dell, Acer, Samsung and Lenovo. I'm sure some model didn't do that.

Collapse -
The only things the vendors aren't
by orlbuckeye / November 12, 2012 8:46 PM PST

doing in buying the DVD for you. Oh you can purchase disks separately when you buy the computer. They also offer a function key way to create your system disks. The one thing I don't like is the vendors never support an OS upgrade when you purchase a computer over six months old when the new OS comes out.

Collapse -
I bought my last laptop and bought a
by orlbuckeye / November 14, 2012 9:23 PM PST

SSD drive at the same time. I installed all my software and cloned by drive to the new drive and pulled the one that came with the system out and put the ssd drive in and then rebooted. I rebooted in 75% less time then the drive that came with it. I then purchased a bigger SSD drive and cloned it and stuck it in with the same result. Now I will use the older SSD to install Windows 8.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.