Computer Help forum

General discussion

Function key(Fn) is stuck on laptop keyboard

by bkchurch / May 18, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

I turned on my computer and out of nowhere I discovered the Fn key is permanently on, I have to push it to get the keys to function like they would were it not pushed. Wtf has happened and how do I fix it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Function key(Fn) is stuck on laptop keyboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Function key(Fn) is stuck on laptop keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This would be a good question to ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 18, 2007 9:09 AM PDT

ask the manufacturer.

We might have had some suggestions but apparently when you posted the Note in red text just above where you entered your subject title was missing so you neglected to bother telling us any particulars such as manufacturer and model. That note that is normally there is as follows:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

A generic answer is to check your user manual and see if there is some system setting that allows it to be turned on or off and failing that to maybe CAREFULLY pop the key loose and clean under it.

Collapse -
Nope didn't see that
by bkchurch / May 18, 2007 11:29 AM PDT

Don't see why it matters since I think the function key works the same on every laptop but it's a Dell Inspiron 1501 running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Collapse -
Nope didn't work
by bkchurch / May 18, 2007 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Stuck key

Also let it be known that Dell's customer service sucks balls.

Collapse -
Try
by PudgyOne / May 18, 2007 2:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope didn't work

Go to start

click on help & support

type the word key

look for Change StickyKeys options and click on it

See if this is what you're looking for.

I know, when I booted up already, my Dell Inspirion B130 will ask about sticky keys if you keep hitting a key at startup, try it.

Rick

Collapse -
THANKS!
by camren101 / October 16, 2010 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Stuck key

wow little did i know i have been stuck with just such a small problem, now its solved

Collapse -
I replace the keyboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 12:44 AM PDT

I just order it since any laptop or service center call will be far more money.

Bob

Collapse -
I dunno why
by bkchurch / May 19, 2007 4:28 AM PDT

but I booted up this morning and the key isn't stuck anymore.

Collapse -
Function Key locked
by toddjudderickson / July 6, 2008 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: I dunno why

If you are still searching for an answer to this problem, as I was until five minutes ago, try the Num Lock key, not the function key. On my Dell Ispirion 3800 running XP Professional build 5.1, the keypad is accessed by using the finction key, and the following letters to resemble a keypad:

7(7) 8(8) 9(9) 0(*)
U(4) I(5) O(6)
J(1) K(2) L(3) ;(+)
m(0)

But in my case, the Num Lock key (located just above the F11 key) was what was locked, not the Fn key. When I pressed the Num Lock key to release the Num Lock, the keyboard worked normally.

Collapse -
"Num Lk" key not the function key
by menorman / October 20, 2008 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Function Key locked

I'm using Vista 2007 on a Dell Inspiron 1501, and you just saved my life. The "Num Lk" key corrected my problem. Thank you for posting.

Collapse -
Thank You
by john592 / November 12, 2010 9:12 AM PST

You were so right on with your post. The numlock locks it into the 10 key pad mode. I am running Vista and it is the same. Thinking the platform wont matter.. Thank you very much.

Collapse -
D'oh!
by sirragon / August 31, 2012 6:23 AM PDT

That fixed it. Thanks.

Collapse -
Num lock versus Function key being stuck
by Cheshirebob / December 12, 2012 8:06 PM PST

Hi - so so many thanks for yor suggestion to ook at the number lock - so simple - yet so evasive.

I had followed the various suggestions and without your somment I would still be lost. Brilliant.

Regards

Collapse -
RE:Stuck Function Key
by cyndymaeh / September 14, 2013 3:12 AM PDT

Thank you! Your simple suggestion worked! This was driving me crazy!

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!! This has been driving me crazy:)
by lynnielou74 / September 30, 2013 3:49 PM PDT

Finally! My keyboard works again. I have been using a keyboard with my laptop because I thought my Fn key was broken! This worked on my Samsung laptop:)

Collapse -
Good to see that by doing a routine task
by LucJPatenaude / October 16, 2010 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I dunno why

+ shutting down the machine did the fix all by itself.

Another problem solved by itself.
Wink

Collapse -
Function Key Stuck
by charlchambers / November 29, 2011 5:19 AM PST

Hi all had a similar problem on a samsung note book. Fn + number lock(F11) turned the locked Fn key off.

Hope this helps someone!

Collapse -
Fn stucked!
by parnedo / April 23, 2012 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Function Key Stuck

Great help! In Samsung note Fn + number lock(F11) is in fact the solution

Collapse -
Fn stuck
by Ernie2011 / December 5, 2011 7:24 AM PST

Just solved the problema by pushing both Fn and Block Num keys at the time! Try and good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.