Laptops forum

General discussion

Function +F10 won't open DVD Drawer on Dell Inspiron 9300

by TonyTTurner / February 18, 2006 7:43 AM PST

Hello, all...
First of all, I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 9300.
Here's the issue: I first began using a mini Microsoft Wireless Mouse Model #1023 (USB plug and play, basically)with it cause the "MousePad was driving me Nutz. (Everything was working fine.)
-
Then, I bought a Wireless KB/Mouse Combo, again by Microsoft: Wireless Optical Desktop 3.0 Comfort Edition, because I was tired of reaching to the top of the Dell's KB to hit numbers, (and I LOVE being Wireless!)
The problem started here with trying to Install the supplied software disk FIRST, before I connected the darn KB/Mouse combo. I got a Error/"Closing this window.." message which then "popped-up" a "WorkThrough" from Microsoft (after I sent the "Report this to Microsoft" notice.)
After almost getting ready to return the combo,
I then thought of going to Microsoft's Downloads page to get the latest "Drivers" for this combo.(The supplied CD-ROM came with IntelliType Pro 5.2 & IntelliPoint 5.2 for the KB and Mouse respectively.) However, Microsoft's website gave me 5.3 or 5.4 I believe.
After D-loading them, I connected my new Combo, which works GREAT...The ONLY thing that I discovered (and I'm not sure if it is Software-related,) is that BEFORE I installed the software, I could press
Fn + F10 to open my DVD drawer.
-
Now, nothing happens, AND if I minimize a window on my Desktop, those 2 button combinations will Enlarge the Minimized window(s).
I really don't want to UnInstall this Software again, but if that what it takes to possibly get my Dell to operate as it Should, I guess I will Have to.
(By the way, on the Dell's KB, several "Shortcut" keys ARE labelled in Blue to be used WITH the Fn key.. i.e., "Standby", screen "Brightness", Volume, etc.(And for the most part, they still DO work.)

The Specs are: Microsoft Win.XP Media Center Ver. 2002 Serv Pack 2, Intel Pent.M 1.86 GHz, 781 Mhz, 1.00 GB of RAM, 51.1 GB HDD, DVD-RW Drive, 17" screen, WiFi and Bluetooth capable.
-
Sorry for all the details, but perhaps with that much info, someone out the coud assist me...Please.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Function +F10 won't open DVD Drawer on Dell Inspiron 9300
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Function +F10 won't open DVD Drawer on Dell Inspiron 9300
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can never supply too much info
by ikjadoon / February 18, 2006 8:33 AM PST

I just want to get it straight: You had a built-in keyboard and mouse. You then switched to a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. On the built-in keyboard, the keys were labeled in blue, I know what you are talking about. Are they labeled on the wireless keyboard? Does the wireless keyboard have a Fn button? Look in the settings for the wireless keyboard, is there anyway to change the "shortcuts?"

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Thanks for the quick reply, Ibrahim... Umm...
by TonyTTurner / February 19, 2006 3:22 AM PST

Yes, you basically have my scenario straight:
The 9300 is a Dell laptop, so yes, the Built-in KB has several keys pre-labled from Dell to provide various operations WITH the pressing of the Function or ''Fn'' (as it is labeled) key + that corresponding key.. The F10 key has a little ''diagram'' of an ''ejected CD/DVD'' in Blue and it WAS Definitely working fine but BEFORE I installed the Microsoft software.
->The Microsoft Wireless KB/Mouse Combo DOES indeed have a Function key, but UNFORTUNATELY, it doesn't seem to offer such an Option to Eject the CD/DVD drawer.
>>I did as you suggested and opened up the IntelliType Pro KB settings; and though it Does give me the ability to change what quite a few of the keys do, (i.e. ''launch a browser, webpage, Instant Messenger, Compose an Email, SpellCheck...yada yada), I really have No Idea what special ''Code'' or "Command function" I could possibly use to perhaps ''Dupe'' the laptop into opening the Damned Drawer! ;-D (Go ahead, You can laugh with me on this. Believe me, I am. (LOL!!)
-
Perhaps I should've adopted the old saying:
''If it ain't Broke....'' Right? (LOL!)
-
Incidentally, Ibrahim, Do you have or could you point me towards any clues as to how one can find out what ''Command'' can ''Open'' a DVD drawer?
I know that Hardware/Software developers use certain commands like this, afterall, how does the Dell 9300 KNOW what ''Fn + F10'' means if its not programmed to do so, right? Wink
-
Should I search deeper within Cnet's variable forums, and/or could you possibly give me an idea Which forum I could post in?
-
Hopefully, you aren't too ''Bored by my Babbling'' yet.
;-D
I truly appreciate Any and All information given.
Thanks in Advance! Talk to you soon!
~Tony~

Collapse -
Fixed it!!!!
by ikjadoon / February 19, 2006 8:18 AM PST

OK, this is a little unorthodox. Don't worry, I have installed this software and it is working great for me! OK, download this file:

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/open_cd/download.shtml

Download it, double click the file, unzip it. Then get the actual program and right click it. Click properties and go to shortcut. Press Fn and f10. It will open the drive, but it won't close it. Sorry, only a temporary fix. I'm looking for a better one.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
OMG!..Do you know what I DID?!... a little too late, BUT....
by TonyTTurner / February 19, 2006 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: Fixed it!!!!

I ended up DELETING the software cause:
#1) It kept causing little "Glitches" on my screen; (in the Mouse "Settings", I could set the on-screen cursor to appear with a little "ring" around it by hitting the Ctrl key, right? Well NORMALLY the ring just "Flash" onscreen ONE time around the cursor, BUT with the Microsoft software, it practically
"Flickered" ALL the Time.)
#2) Next, when I hit my Favorites "Pull-down", the little "Extend" tab would Flicker and it was very difficult to "Click" on.
(Wait, there is More...)
#3) When I went to Control Panel to the
"Add/Remove Programs" screen, I was trying to Scroll DOWN the screen to get to the this Software, but the Scroll continued to Keep the screen scrolling UP... I finally Disabled any scrolling abilities altogether. And No, I did NOT have "Auto-scroll" enabled, just the ability to use the Mouse's Scroll wheel to do it's job; Scroll.
-
And Ibrahim, wouldn't you Know it...as soon as I Uninstalled Both the IntelliType AND IntelliPoint softwares, Restarted the Laptop, EVERYTHING was working Fine again...Now I KNOW for sure that it was Software-related.
Heck, I was all ready and set to Return this Combo!
-
Anyway, Now, you've got me wanting to Try this little Download Just to see if it may take care of the other "Issues".
I'll let you know my decision, possibly by tomorrow.
Ok?
Thank you so MUCH for Looking Out for me on this!
I'm Highly appreciatative to you!
And, since the Laptop's Drawer is Not made to close Automatically anyway, that would be GRAND just to have it Open like it is Supposed to.
Also, Just to be curious, if I used this download with my Home Desktop, could I enable it to Open/Close with the same manners?(Any Specs on my Home Desktop can be found on my Cnet Profile) I'm speaking on the DVD drawer on the Mini CPU Tower of course. Incidentally, I have the Logitech Cordless Comfort Duo on my Desktop. (This Wireless set has not caused ANY problems and I've used it for 2 Years!)(For the Dell Laptop, I liked both the Look/Style of that set, and I DID trust that Microsoft was a Dependable name.)

> By the way,Is this RJL software compatible with practically ANY KB's software? I just like to be Well-Informed, tis all.

~Tony~

Collapse -
Great!
by ikjadoon / February 20, 2006 3:28 AM PST

I'm glad you got it working, and without the work-around! Nice! Yes, it should work on any computer you put it to, but make sure there isn't a "door" blocking the drive from coming out. I'm 100% sure it will comply with their software, as it isn't really using the KB software but a short-cut program inside a computer. There used to be a way to make it come on a website. It'd ask if you wanted a free cupholder, and-pop!-out came your CD drive.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Okay, Ibrahim...Here's what I have going on thusfar...
by TonyTTurner / February 22, 2006 1:26 PM PST
In reply to: Great!

I d-loaded the ''Drawer-Popper'' on my Laptop, put a little ''DVD-shortcut'' of it on my laptop's desktop screen, also, I created a ''Toolbar shortcut'' for it, AND added it to my START button! It is so COOL to have a little ''Gold DVD'' icon to just click on and have my DVD drawer go ''Click''!!! ;-D
-
You have my Utmost RESPECT and GRATITUDE for getting this for me...It is, in one word...Da BOMB!!
I'm am the ENVY of a few people I know who have to push the tiny little DVD/CD drawer's Eject button!
LMAO!! (Should I keep it a secret?!?) Wink
Nawww, Just kidding! You shared it with Me, so I'll simply Pass the Love along!
-
Oh! and Check THIS out...
I have no idea what could've been the issue which made my laptop give me the ERROR when I FIRST started trying to Install that Microsoft KB/Mouse software on the CD, but, on a last moment thought, I tried it again, and it INSTALLED without ANY Probs! I get NO Flickers, and the KB/Mouse combo is Wonderful!!
I was so HAPPY that I didn't have to go Back to Microsoft's site again!
-
The funny thing is... I tried it BEFORE I downloaded your ''DVD Eject'' program.
-
Heck, I'm not complaining, I am E-X-C-I-T-E-D!!!
And I have You to Thank, Ibrahim!!!
(Two thumbs WAY UP!!)
By the way, did it REALLY ask ''if you wanted a free cupholder, and-pop!-out came your CD drive'' (as you'd mentioned before?) If so, That HAD be So COOL!!! LOL!
(That is a ''visual pic'' that I wish WERE still included!) Out of curiosity, Just how did you Locate this little gem of a shortcut? Did you ''Google'' it?
;-D
-
I haven't put it on my Home Desktop PC yet, but I WILL as soon as I get a reply back from you on this Post!
-
Thank You, Thank You, THANK YOU!!! AGAIN!!! Happy
~Tony~

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.