Computer Help forum

General discussion

Fumes/Vapor (new rig)

by digety / June 24, 2008 12:34 AM PDT

Hello, I built a new comp a little over a month ago and I have been noticing this terrible fume that I cannot pinpoint, it gets so bad that it irritates my eyes and throat. I am worried about what I am being exposed to even more than losing my rig, as it should be. However I would like to save both.

The smell is sort of in between chemical and electric. I have heard it is possible this is new parts being burned in, however its been a while now and I play games on here that put it under serious stress ie age of conan, so that shouldnt be the case.

My specs are :
OS = xp pro
Antec p182 case
Antec 500w Basiq psu model:BP500U
Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard
GIGABYTE GV-NX88T512HPV1 GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Seagate SV35.2 ST3500630SV 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

I have tried to pinpoint where the smell is coming from and I cannot. I have done the snifftest and felt around for anything hot. I have checked for labels or stickers or anything that would "cook" under heat etc and found nothing.
I went back and checked the thermal paste in case that is what is smelling, it is not. I have also had the side panel off with a fan blowing into it to no avail as well.

Temps look ok, even though video card gets up to around 65 cel when under intense gaming such as Age of Conan. However it idles around 44-47. One of the cores gets to around 43 max and the other 54, however they idle at 40/44 while the processor itself is usually around 20 idle and 31 full blast.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fumes/Vapor (new rig)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fumes/Vapor (new rig)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by digety / June 24, 2008 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Fumes/Vapor (new rig)


Collapse -
it's probably traces of leftover acid "gunk"
by jonah jones / June 24, 2008 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Fumes/Vapor (new rig)

they use to clean the metal parts of the case after assembly (the process is usually wash-degrease/acid/neutraliser/wash)

not much you can do but wait for it to 'go away'



Collapse -
by digety / June 24, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

I find that incredibly odd considering I have had many computers and all of my friends have recently built some too and before as well, yet none of us have ever experienced anything like this, or heard of it being normal.
I am wondering if i should just start shipping it back piece by piece for a swap, this fume seems rather harmful and abnormal.

Collapse -
just a thought
by squirtlewa / June 24, 2008 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Fumes/Vapor (new rig)

I suggest this only cuz I've done it myself.

On the bottom of a lot of cpu coolers when you get them there's a kinda thick, clear plastic shield. Of course *everyone* follows the instructions and removes it before putting attaching the heatsink.

But it'd get hot and melty if somehow that step was forgotten.

Collapse -
by digety / June 24, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: just a thought

nah my heatsink is this big copper nuclear weapon looking thing of a fan. It did not have anything on the base where it rests against the heatspreader.
If it did I definitely would have removed it.

Collapse -
No good mano
by W_Smart / December 3, 2008 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: .

Did you figure this out? I've been having fumes form my system too. I vented the PSU outside, just to try it, and I'm not having as much of an issue. I also have an Antec,Truepower TRIO 550 watt. The smell is very acrid, mean. Do you have any issues with your hair or clothes and this?

Thanks for the post. I had been thinking mobo and I see you have solid caps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


$16,000 used SUVs

Whether you like your SUVs cute or capable, or some blend of the two, we've got a wide variety of choices in Roadshow's first collection of Editors' Used Picks.