Cameras forum

General discussion

Fuji Finepix 2600 Zoom Error

by jeni1072 / February 14, 2004 10:58 PM PST

If anyone can help me with this I would be so grateful. I got this camera as a gift Christmas 2001. Halloween of last year I got a "Zoom Error". The camera does NOTHING but beep at me, so I don't know what it has to do with the zoom. According to the manual, with this message you are supposed to turn the camera off and on a few times and this should correct it (??!!). I did that. Many times. I also put in new batteries. Nothing has ever corrected it. The camera store where it was purchased told me not to fix it, to just buy a new one! When I mentioned this to my mom (who was the purchaser) she got upset with me and said she paid $300 for that camera, and I'd better not just toos it and buy a new one. So I feel like I have to fix it now.

So I'm gonna mail it off per Fuji's instructions on their website. Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone been able to correct this Zoom Error problem on their own?

2. For anyone who has sent off a camera to a repair facility, approximately how long did it take, and what was your cost?

Thanks so much...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fuji Finepix 2600 Zoom Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fuji Finepix 2600 Zoom Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Fuji Finepix 2600 Zoom Error
by snapshot / February 15, 2004 5:23 AM PST

Sorry to hear about the camera failure.

I visited the Fujifilm site and it states:

"Digital Camera Repair

Service can be obtained by taking or sending your unit to a Fujifilm Authorized Service Center, or the Factory Service Center. If your unit is covered under warranty, you will receive an acknowledgment. If your unit is not covered under warranty, you will receive an estimate for the repair prior to any work being done."

After you get the estimate, you can decide if it is worth the price to get it fixed.

Camera prices are continuing to fall and features continue to increase.

You can get a Canon A60 camera for about $160.00.

It has all the same features as the Fuji 2600 plus a lot more.

So if the repair cost is over $100, you should consider a replacement camera.

Regarding repair time:

The Fujifilm site states:

"Warranty repair time at our Authorized Service Centers average approximately 5 to 10 business days. If the repair must be sent to our Edison Factory Service Center, there will added time.

Warranty repairs sent to our Edison Factory Service Center average 10 to 15 business days upon being entered into our system. "

Collapse -
Re: Fuji Finepix 2600 Zoom Error
by mard / September 18, 2004 1:12 AM PDT

this just happen to me last night - please give me an update as to how this problem was solved

thanks

Collapse -
FinePix E550 Zoom error
by carolinacnet / December 28, 2004 3:08 AM PST

I saw this error on my brand new finepix E550 and haven't been able to fix it even after restarting the camera or replacing the batteries. I have Mastercard insurance on this purchase so I will use that to get a full refund. Not sure if the camera's design has a fundamental defect.

Collapse -
FinePix E550 Zoom Error
by ripleymi / December 31, 2004 7:29 AM PST

I have the same error message on my brand new Fuji Finepix E550. It worked ok for awhile, but a coule of times it seemed to "lock up" and would not take pics. But after changing batteries and/or turning it off and on, it seemed to be ok. But now it is stuck in the halfway-out zoom position (lens cover is closed tho) and I am getting the "zoom error" message. Owners manual says "zoom error" indicates a camera malfunction. I called Fuji authorized repair in NJ, and was told I have to send it in and pay for shipping and required insurance. They will only pay to send it back. I ordered it online and e-mailed the seller today, but am not too hopeful they will exchange it for a new one. I've been doing some surfing and it would appear my camera is not just an isolated lemon. Looks like it might be Fuji's lemon. I did a lot of research on the web as to what digital to buy for my first one (I'm an SLR holdout), and I narrowed it down to two models. Obviously I picked the wrong one. What a bummer.

Collapse -
Zoom Error
by Arvind Malik / January 15, 2005 10:44 PM PST

I have purchased Fuji E550 Digital Camera recently. Suddenly I start giving message Zoom Error. I tried to lke reboot the Camera. take the batteries out and then put it back or even try with ac/dc charger. But nithing works. Please give some suggestions.

Collapse -
Zoom Error/ e550
by ASPNET / August 22, 2005 6:16 AM PDT

recently someone gifted the E550 and last night it gave the ZOOM ERROR. tried all the way as mentioned in th emanual..nothing happened. Any solution to this?? i think this is no more under warranty..in that case how much would be the charge..has anyone did this before.....plzz help

Collapse -
Re: Fuji Finepix 2600 Zoom Error
by columbus / October 30, 2004 1:02 AM PDT

I got the same error on my FinePix A303.
I opened the camera and found a little pice of plastic blocking the objective mechanic.
(If you open the Camera keep track of your actions!)

Closed the Camera and now works like before

Hope it helps

Collapse -
Any Tips?
by glancep / December 28, 2004 7:05 AM PST

I, too, have the "zoom error" problem and my camera is no longer under warranty. I don't believe that it will be worth the expensive of having it repaired, so before I bought a new one I thought I'd try operating. You got your's working after taking it apart... any tips or hints to someone who's going to try the same?

Thanks a lot...
Gideon

Collapse -
Okay here is what I did
by infinityplus / January 16, 2005 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Any Tips?

The Zoom Error problem occured when I had my finger in front of the lens when it extended when I turned it on.

I corrected the error by pulled and twisting on the lens untiol it stayed open. I then turned it off and back on and everything was fine. And then I did the 'finger in front of the lens' thing AGAIN top test if it would happen again. Sure enough it did.

SO it looks like this is a safety feature...but annoying. I am okay with the camera and it's iunder warrenty for a while longer...so I'll see what happens.

Collapse -
Thank you. Worked for me also.
by jsandersp / May 4, 2005 8:28 AM PDT

Yeah, it seems a little scary, but, I just did what you did and pulled the lens to its fully extended position then turned it off/on. The camera seems totally fine now. We'll see...

Collapse -
Also a problem with the E550
by SuzeQuze / May 16, 2005 1:30 PM PDT

I got the zoom error too when I was about to photograph a concert! Grrr. I just tried the suggestion to pull out the lense and it worked! I just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion and confirm that it also worked for me on the E550.

Collapse -
f470 fujifilm finepix
by xanxan60 / July 8, 2007 10:42 AM PDT

yes pulling lens out while camera is off and then restating camera works. this will fix "zoom error" code.

Collapse -
zoom error e550 -- Fuji, please take note!
by bobbomo / May 28, 2005 5:57 AM PDT

So glad I googled to this forum and saw your solution. The cause of the zoom error was waterproof camera bag limiting lens extension. I did as you did and found it to work like a charm. Thanks!

Fuji should publicize this solution!

Collapse -
It also worked for me
by bsain / August 20, 2005 10:40 AM PDT

I purchased our E550 last December. It worked for about 3 months and then had the "Zoom Error". After much wrangling with Fuji they agreed to send a replacement rather than forcing us to wait for 6 weeks to get the camera repaired. The repair center in Minnesota reported that it would take at least 6 weeks to repair the camera because repair parts were out of stock because of so many E550 deeloping the same problem.
The zoom error happened again tonite. Not wanting to go through the hassle with Fuji again I Googled for a fix and found this solution. Thanks very much for posting it. I'll never buy another Fuji camera, they are just not reliable and their customer service dept. is very poor.

--Bob S

Collapse -
how do I pull out lens on s3000 model?
by kathleenatPAFA / May 30, 2005 11:25 PM PDT

I have a finepix fuji 23000 camera that ceased working with the zoom error problem. it seems if I could manually pull out my retracted zoom lens which is now nicely nestled in the in position - and turn the camera back off and on that the camera would correct itself..

I have not been successful in finding a safe manner to grab my lens and pull it out - it is just over an inch and half wide. There is not much space between the lens and the surrounding metal. About the width of a metal nailfile. there edge is smooth so it is not easy to grab. I am wondering if there might be some tool for such tasks? any ideas? email direct if wish to cybercanoe in american on line

Collapse -
Fuji FinePix s3000 zoom error problem
by ryanau / September 11, 2005 10:16 AM PDT

Hi Kathleen,

We had the same problem with a Fuji FinePix s3000 purchased almost three years ago. Its been a terrific camera and has worked perfectly until just last week when it came up with the "Zoom Error!" problem in the view finder. Since then we have not been able to take a single photo. We did not expose it to any extremes of heat or cold and we did not get it wet, so that would not explain the failure.

I very carefully took the camera apart with a jewler's screwdriver and found that it is quite complex inside. To get to the zoom mechanism you have to remove 3 layers of circuit boards. Upon inspecting the zoom mechanism and the minature gear box I could find nothing obviously wrong or broken.

Don't try what some people suggest for other Fuji cameras about manually pulling the zoom out because you'll probably just strip the gear box!

The mechanism is driven by a small motor about the size of a thumb-nail. I guess its possible that this had failed, but since I was not sure of the voltage and I didn't want to disconnect it, I didn't test it to see if it worked.

I checked to see if there was any sand or grit in the mechanism but it all looked clean. When I put it back together the zoom mechanism extended and stayed there. The screen still showed "Zoom error".

The only solution I can see is to buy a new camera of some sort. It seems that many of the Fuji cameras suffer from this zoom error problem so maybe a change of brand is in order. I think Fuji need to redesign their zoom mechanism.

Cheers,
Anthony.
NSW, Australia.

Collapse -
Fuji FinePix s3000 zoom error problem
by ryanau / September 15, 2005 11:51 PM PDT

Further to my previous posting... the camera I actually have is a FinePix s304, but seems to be identical to the s3000.

I was eventually successful in getting my camera working again, but this is really the domain of a qualified service engineer.

How I did it is here - please read cautionary notes:
http://adunk.ozehosting.com/Fuji_FinePix_s304

Anthony.

Collapse -
Trying the fix without powering on?
by sunray / October 1, 2005 4:53 AM PDT

I think you can try to disengage the motor from the mechanism (may be you can remove the last gear near the mechanism) and try to rotate manually to see that the zoom movement is fine. (I had tried it while fixing the Canon A70 E18 error - similar issues - Also I could not have forced it close/open as there was some loose screw blocking- I opened the whole thing and put it back . For testing , removed one of the gears and tried the full lens movement manually and then put back the last gear and closed and it worked ok)

Collapse -
hi lol
by francesca_lol / May 11, 2011 3:27 AM PDT

the error accors when you are turning on the camera and the lens for some reason is held in. it it extreamly annoying

Collapse -
Worked great
by tnguy / July 7, 2005 3:55 PM PDT

The advice worked great. Thank you.

Collapse -
Thanks! I don't have to buy a new pocket camera yet!
by AlisaCollins / July 16, 2010 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Worked great

We are on vacation and my Fuji Finepix J38(7 mos. old. We had it on the beach so I assumed that when I started getting the "zoom error" it had got sand in the lens mechanism. I tried the advice founnd here buy a few people and it worked. I kept turning it off and on and "viola!" My camera is working again just in time for the last day of vacation!

Collapse -
worked for me also THANKS
by shelby1 / July 24, 2005 10:24 AM PDT

Thank you for sharing this information and making life a bit easier and to be able to enjoy the camera. We will keep it, easy to use... Thanks again Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the solution!
by dgpowell / August 3, 2005 12:56 AM PDT

It worked a treat!

Has anyone had a terminal failure with the zoom error problem or has this fix always worked?

My camera is still under warrantee so I'm trying to decide whether to send it back despite its apparent cure

cheers!

Collapse -
it worked
by ASPNET / August 22, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

i did excactly the same way.. u know what ..it did work now. thanks man!!!pull the lens ,twist it till the lens door is open to its max possible, then turn the camera off and then switch it on again after few seconds gap.. and then off again.it will pull the lens back... thats it. u r camera is OK. it worked for me..

Collapse -
Amazing!!
by ypjames / October 19, 2005 3:38 AM PDT

One of the times that the internet has really saved me some trouble! Thanks so much... IT WORKED!

Collapse -
manual worked for my A210 fuji finepix camera
by griibe / August 7, 2005 2:38 AM PDT

i guess the manual is right after all. i turned the camera off and on as i watched tv until the zoom sound changed. i looked down and sure enough the thing had fixed its self. i had cycled the batteries several times and made the camera do a lot of feature changes to try to jog its memory. i would just say to keep messing with it until it works. maybe watch a dvd on a sunday or something.

Collapse -
Help with the A210
by :ynzee5555 / October 1, 2005 3:33 AM PDT

I was also disappointed to learn about the zoom error. I tried turning the camera on and off, but to no avail. I tried pulling the lens out, and it worked! Appeared that the lens was misaligned. I was scared- the camera clicked and sounded more broken than when I started. But sure enough, when I turned it off and on, it worked!!! Thanks so much for all your help. You saved me a lot of grief, as the camera was not even mine... =)

Don't be afraid to pull outward a little on the lens.

Collapse -
Zoom Error on Fuji Finepix A210
by Di 1 / October 4, 2005 12:43 PM PDT

I took this camera in for repair as I was getting a message on the screen saying zoom error. The camera light comes on but the lens will not come out.
The repair company says the camera was dropped, but it was not. I noticed alot of the Fujifilm models are having the same trouble. My camera is a Fuji Finepizx A210 3.2 Megapixel. It really upsets me as I did pay 42.99 for the 3 year extended warranty.
Does anyone out there have any idea what to do next.
I read someone's reply about manual operation. Not sure how to do that.

Collapse -
Fujifilm FinePix A210
by torimaxd / September 9, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

It worked for me! After months of being unable to use the camera due to "Zoom Error" I finally read this post, and tried simply turning it off and on repeatedly until I heard the sound change. Amazingly, the camera seems to be working perfectly. The company told me to send it to NJ for repair, at my own expense. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this fix.

Collapse -
Another Fix?
by duramba / October 20, 2005 10:04 AM PDT

I had the zoom error displayed on the LCD...Zoom lens was stuck in the zoom position...while powering it on, before the error came up, I tapped the camera, lightly, on the palm of my hand...the zoom lens retracted...powered down...powered up...no more error.

Try this before pulling or pushing on the lens or taking the camera apart...I saved myself a lot of work.(thankfully I couldn't find a screwdriver that fit the screws...I was going to take mine apart)

I tried the other methods mentioned, and none worked for me.

Hope this helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.