TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Frys Extended Warranty Repair/Replacement clause warning!!!!

by fendigirl / January 28, 2009 4:56 AM PST

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I found it while doing a search on extended warranty problems.

This is for those of you who still feel the need to purchase an extended warranty/service contract for your new LCD/Plasma. They're hot right now, but a big ticket item....so chances are that you will be conned into purchasing one. BUT......There is something you should know.......

The Sales Associate will probably tell you that the advantage of getting the extended warranty is that if your TV fails after the Mfg. warranty expires, they will repair or replace it.....What they don't tell you is that the comparable replacement is COMPLETELY subjective and at their discretion. To give you a quick background, I purchased a 46" LCD Mitsubishsi for $2200.00 and extended the warranty for $200 additional from Frys last year and started having problems with it at the beginning of this month. They sent out a service team to look at it and they said that the panel was completely f&*#$@! Well 3 weeks later I find out that Fry's denied it and decided to replace the TV altogether. Fine.... Well that was until I found that the replacement would be a Samsung, but wait....the model that they chose was the cheapest model they could find and were trying to get rid of for $900.00 clearance!!!! I contacted my Attorney and he confirmed that although it is totally shady...they are completely within the law to do this and that an "effort" to provide something "comparable" is completely subjective!!

BTW...the only thing comparable about these two LCD's is their size and 1080P. Frys' atrocious customer service is a whole other story that I will save for a different message board.

Buyer beware........

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Frys Extended Warranty Repair/Replacement clause warning!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Frys Extended Warranty Repair/Replacement clause warning!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ok good to know
by gabereyes / January 28, 2009 2:28 PM PST

So what model mitshu do you have and what model samsung did they try to give you?

Collapse -
warranty
by mamontano / January 28, 2009 8:39 PM PST
In reply to: Ok good to know

That's why i try to stick with costco although
their selection is limited. They only have 1
samsung to choose from in the store. I registered
my samsung and samsung extended my warranty for 3
more months. That's 2 years and 3 months for no
cost. I think that's hard to beat.

Collapse -
Me and Fry's
by Dan Filice / January 29, 2009 1:58 AM PST

A couple of years ago I bought an internal hard-drive for my son to install in his computer. No issues with the drive. My issue was the Mail-In rebate that Fry's advertised. The drive had a Mfg rebate of $10.00 and Fry's had a large advertisement with the drive that offered a $15.00 Fry's mail-in rebate which was stated as being "in addition to the Mfg rebate, essentiall making the drive cost only $99.00. Well, each of the rebate forms stated that "You must submit the ORIGINAL sales receipt and the Bar Code from the package". How could you do this? There is only ONE Bar Code on the box. I submitted the Rebate receipt from Fry's with a copy of the Bar Code with a note explaining the dilemma. I received a note card back in the mail stating the "Unfortunately you did not submit the required paperwork and receipts for the rebate, therefore we can not process the rebate." Sorry Fry's. I'm NEVER buying anything from you again except for wires and connectors.

Collapse -
Me and Fry's
by BludBaut / April 2, 2010 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Me and Fry's

Your mistake was not calling *first*. You verbally communicate that you "don't want to have to take the product back because they won't honor their rebate." When you call first and explain the problem, you'll typically get someone to tell you to send the original to the manufacturer and the copies to the store.

*Of course* *before* you start discussing anything at all, you get the name of the person to whom you're speaking and their employee ID. Doing so will clue them that you keep paper trails and that they will have to answer for misspeaking. This encourages responsible behavior by employees. If this is the only thing you get from this exchange, you'll have gotten more than the money you lost. This will save you many times.

It's just part of the game -- leverage.

Same thing with expired coupons at restaurants. If you walk into one and show them an expired coupon, they'll tell you it's expired and no good. If you call them first and ask to talk to the mgr., he'll tell you that they'll accept it (because he knows you won't show up if he doesn't).

At this late date, it's unlikely, but you might still be able to find a mgr. or district mgr. who will make an adjustment for you if you still have all the evidence of their error and you present your case succinctly and responsibly and simply explain that you haven't addressed it before because you were so angry and you thought they wouldn't do anything about it, but someone suggested that you try.

Of course, it would help your case if you had something in hand to buy, from which the price could be deducted so that the one in authority could have another motivation to take care of you -- that being that you don't lay the product down and walk out of the store and they lose a customer.

I've never been impressed with Fry's management but to get that big and stay in business, they can't screw everyone -- there has to be some measure of responsible and equitable action by those in authority or their reputation would go down the toilet so badly they would have already closed the doors.

Collapse -
Or just shop Amazon, or...
by Pepe7 / April 2, 2010 5:58 AM PDT

...another low priced retailer that doesn't deal with so many rebates that more often than not lead to hassles.

Collapse -
Partially did what you recommended
by Dan Filice / April 2, 2010 6:46 AM PDT

When at Fry's, they printed out a separate rebate cash register receipt for the Fry's rebate. With this in hand, I still only had one original bar code from the product box, so I did submit a copy of the bar code along with the Fry's register receipt to Fry's. I assumed this would be good enough. It wasn't. In reality, I should have hired an attorney first before purchasing at Fry's. I learned my lesson, which is don't shop at Fry's.

Collapse -
Me and Fry's
by BludBaut / April 2, 2010 11:36 PM PDT

I'm planning on going to Fry's because they have a couple of HDs (Hitachi) that I'd like to get. If they have represented the extended warranty accurately, then I'll get two of them also.

I'll take a copy of our exchange to the mgr. of the store and see if he'll do something for you and post his response and contact information here afterwards. Perhaps you'll get a good response.

BludBaut

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.