Computer Help forum

Frustrating .bin file absolutely will not open

by Unique___Username / November 7, 2012 3:51 AM PST

A couple years ago I got the DLink pocket router and was trying to set it up again but I lost the CD. The shipping firmware can be found on the site, here is a link to the download:

I have tried everything to open this file. I always get the "Windows cannot open this file" error. If anyone can help me out here that would be great, thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Frustrating .bin file absolutely will not open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Frustrating .bin file absolutely will not open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
This is not a file we open.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 3:55 AM PST

Small world since I updated another router just a few weeks ago. The bin file is used by the router to update it's firmware.

At no time did I open the bin file. Please use Dlink's instructions on updating. No forum moderator will tell you exactly how due to the possibility the instructions change and a post here could brick devices.

So no, you don't open this one.

Collapse -
Still having problems
by Unique___Username / November 7, 2012 8:05 AM PST

Ok thats helpful I guess I was doing it wrong. The problem still remains however that I cant even log onto my router because I lost the CD and it was never even set up. Any solution to that? Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Re: Still having problems
by mchainmchain / November 7, 2012 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: Still having problems

Best advice here is to contact DLink directly either by email support or by phone. They might have the CD you need or can point you to where you can get it, possibly for only a nominal fee.

As for doing the tech work yourself, just be aware that one wrong move in updating the firmware can brick it for good. Best option then, is to get a new device.

Go to your source. Get the setup CD.

Collapse -
I never use the CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 10:30 AM PST

All routers to date use a web interface. I purposely never supply how to configure a router or update such here because of the risk. One wrong move and members will be very cross.

-> I could have tried supplying Dlink's web site about this but I can't find the model number.

Collapse -
by sunwatcher / November 7, 2012 10:53 AM PST

The .bin file is not executable. It is loaded to the access point through its user interface.

According to the manual you need to navigate to to access the AP's web interface. Username "admin", password leave blank.

Find the "Firmware" section under "Tools". Follow the onscreen directions from there. It will be very important to not interrupt the process while in progress.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.