Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

frozen cursor on new hp laptop

by foodfiend / April 2, 2012 12:41 AM PDT

I am in the first week of using my new hp laptop (Pavilion dv7-6187cl, Windows7) and yesterday my cursor "froze" and I finally had to turn off the machine. Once I turned it on, I got a message about a "Windows error" to remove any recently-added hardware or software, but if this is the first time the situation has happened, just to turn off and restart first. I did this, and it started and has been fine.

So I went online to see what the problem may have been and how to avoid it (or how to solve it) in the future. I found, on the hp site, many comments about this and the general tone of the conversations was that it's supposedly a common problem that hp is not acknowledging and that there really is no other way to get out of it than to do the control-alt-delete shutdown. A few commented that, since this happened on brand-new machines, they were going to return and purchase another brand.

Also, most of the comments were made a year or more ago, and I think that the last one was last year. And, before I bought this, I read very good reviews from several sites which did not mention this problem at all.

So, what should I do? Wait until it happens again, then take the laptop back? I've spent a lot of time getting it the way I want it (programs, etc.) and hate to start over. Does anyone know if this really is a recurring problem (currently) and how it may be avoided?

I would tremendously appreciate any help!

foodfiend has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: frozen cursor on new hp laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: frozen cursor on new hp laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by foodfiend

Collapse -
Happened to me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 3:27 AM PDT

In my case I found it was my smart phone. HP's support took the laptop into service and when it came back it would only run for 5 minutes and then lockup.

HP's support told me they had done all they could and nothing more was to be done. I'm out one laptop and have taken it out of their hide as I share my story when this comes up.

NO IT CAN NOT BE AVOIDED. Here's why. HP buys their bios from some company and the bug in that bios can't be fixed by HP. So while the machine does work without the smart phone, it seems HP has lost it when it comes to PCs by outsourcing it all.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Okay, you guys were a great help.
by foodfiend / April 2, 2012 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Happened to me too.

I really hate to do it, but the computer goes back. We bought it at Sam's with an extended warranty, and they are usually excellent about returns of electronics.

Now, I wonder, should I be concerned about the info that's on the computer now? How do I protect my info when I return this?

Collapse -
I protected mine by
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 5:49 AM PDT

Moving to another machine then using the factory restore media on the blank drive.

Since I also have backups beyond this, no losses here.

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob.
by foodfiend / April 2, 2012 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I protected mine by

I really appreciate your hepo with this!

Collapse -
It's up to you
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2012 2:08 AM PDT

It's up to you. You are the one who needs to make a decision about whether or not you are willing to gamble that eventually HP will admit there's something wrong and fix it, and that it will be relatively soon because you will almost certainly run into this issue more than once in the interim.

If it were me, the fact that I ran into this issue within the first week would be considered extremely ominous and I would probably just take it back. But there's always the chance that you will only run into this problem once every couple of blue moons, and it will be little more than a minor annoyance. Are you willing to take that chance? If not, then take the thing back before your return window closes.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.