Computer Help forum

General discussion

Frozen computer

by misterez / March 13, 2009 9:36 PM PDT

My daughter's HP 1.3 won't start. I get the "windows failed to start" screen. If I hit start windows normally or start windows at last good config, the computer will freeze, even the count down stops. If I hit safe mode the screen will display
Multi(0)disk(0)rddisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\

then scroll thru more than a page of drivers, then freeze.
I tried using my windows xp disc as a boot disc, but it won't boot off the cd drive. I tried a different keyboard and mouse. I check all plug connections at hd, mb. I check all voltage, all ok.
Any help would be appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Frozen computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Frozen computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To boot from the CD
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 14, 2009 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Frozen computer

You need to enter the computer's BIOS before Windows attempts to load. In the BIOS change the boot order to set the CD/DVD drive at the top.

Each computer make has different methods for accessing the BIOS. I found this for another type of HP machine, so maybe that's the same as yours;

"If you want to go into the Setup program, press the [F1] key after the Hewlett-Packard logo screen
appears but before the system begins to start Windows. Once the power button has been pressed, you
have about five seconds to press [F1] to enter Setup before the boot process continues."

Mark

Collapse -
To boot from the CD// BIOS or
by billzhills / March 14, 2009 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: To boot from the CD

Hp systems use the Esc to load a boot option menu.

Also watch for the message "Press any Key to boot from CD".

Bill

Collapse -
Can not get to BIOS
by misterez / March 14, 2009 3:41 AM PDT

As soon as I turn the power on, the windows failed to start properly screen appears. The only time it left enough time to try to get to the BIOS is when I unplugged the floppy drive, then the cursor would blink at the top left corner, but still can not access the BIOS. There is no response to hitting F1 ESC or anything else.
Thanks

Collapse -
Can not get to BIOS
by billzhills / March 14, 2009 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Can not get to BIOS

Do not wait for display .....

Press repeatedly F10 for BIOS or Esc for boot option menu
when you turn on the system.

Bill

Collapse -
Got BIOS
by misterez / March 14, 2009 10:02 AM PDT

Thanks, I got into the BIOS and set to boot off the CD.
Went thru a setup, but still can't get any further.
I'm going to save the files from the hard drive before I
go further. I'll update this post in a couple of days.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.