Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Frontier (Verizon) Westell 6100 DSL Modem Drops Connection

by Rillnik / July 28, 2010 8:49 AM PDT

Our Westell 6100 modem keeps dropping the connection. This happens most frequently when the computer is running. When the computer is off all of the modem lights are usually on. It either repeatedly drops the connection intermittently or it will just go out for an hour or so, then come back on and seem to be fine. This started about two weeks ago. We run Win XP.

Frontier (formerly Verizon) sent two technicians to our home a week ago. They checked everything with the phone lines, found no problems so they rewired our jacks to separate the data from the phone which eliminates the need to use phone filters. This seemed to help some but hasn't given us a reliable connection. They said they felt the problem lies between the outside phone box attached to the house and the jacks in the house. Nothing has changed with the house in thirty years.

I saw on a similar post the suggestion to upgrade the modem software at: The modem model number they have listed is off one digit from our model number. They have listed: E90-611015-06, ours is a 610015.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Frontier (Verizon) Westell 6100 DSL Modem Drops Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Frontier (Verizon) Westell 6100 DSL Modem Drops Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
6100=bad news
by dime5150 / August 13, 2010 6:03 AM PDT

I had problems with getting my router to work for the umpteenth time. The frontier person acknowledged the 6100 being a problem. She also stated they have been getting a lot of problems with it intermittingly dropping the connection and having problems.

The agent said based on the problems I have been having, she would send me a new modem. The Westell 7500.

I hope this helps me. Perhaps asking for that might help you. I find Frontier tech to be much more understanding then Verizon was.(And they are in the US).

Collapse -
Model 6100
by Rillnik / August 13, 2010 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: 6100=bad news

Thank you for that information. Please let me know if the Westell 7500 works out for you. for the past few days our modem has been staying connected, but the speeds are dismal. It was 163 kb until I reset it, then only 216 kb. Ridiculous.

Collapse -
Frontier DSL problems
by Dawn_KJ / September 4, 2010 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Model 6100

I had a very old wireless router from Verizon, a Westell 850 something. The DSL started dropping regularly and I had techs come out to the house twice. The first time, they said they replaced the line. But the problem returned. I had a horrible day of connectivity and an hour before the second repair visit, it started working. They saw that, left, saying they'd check the line, and I never heard back...problem persisted. So I pulled a new Actiontec GT704WGB out that Verizon had sent me a couple of years prior (before they sold out to Frontier) and hooked it up, with only frustrating help from Frontier (didn't seem to know what they were doing). The connection dropped fairly frequently that first day, then I had ten days of solid service. Now it dropping again. I'm thinking of buying a new modem, and I'm keeping a log of when the connection drops so I can show it to the techs if I ever have them back. Do you think I should ask them for a Westell 7500? They seemed reluctant to give me a new modem, and I felt lucky I had the free one from Verizon lying around.

Collapse -
Westell 7500
by Rillnik / September 5, 2010 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Frontier DSL problems

I wouldn't buy a new modem. I would ask Frontier for a new wireless modem. Why should you spend your own money? Their equipment is supposed to be reliable.

After several service calls and phone support calls our internet and phone possibly are fixed. They sent us a new 7500 modem, but that didn't seem to fix things.

The latest thing to happen is that a technician came out, looked at our set up and then went outside and climbed up a telephone pole. What he did I don't know but he seems to have fixed our problem. At least I hope so. It's only been a little over a week now but it hasn't dropped the connection yet.

Collapse -
model 7500
by kknotts / March 15, 2011 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Model 6100

We have the 7500. Ironically it worked fine till about the time Frontier took over. As of late it's gotten progressively worse and has been dropping us over and over. I hope it works better for you. I've yet to call and complain, but I need to do so. I'm just afraid they'll make it worse.

Collapse -
model 6100 and poor Frontier dsl performance in Seattle
by mr-creosote / June 2, 2011 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: model 7500

When Verizon swapped with Frontier out here in Seattle, about six months ago, I noticed an almost immediate performance drop. Long connect times when logging in to monster, linkedin, etc...connections being dropped, etc. I felt like I was back in 9600 baud dialup mode. I finally called Frontier today - reluctantly - and they will run a 24 (or 48) hour performance test monitor. Then, they'll call me on the next steps. Urban rumors have it that Frontier claims the user "must upgrade." Um, when I run online speed tests, sure, I still rate at 700K downlink speeds. Whether or not Frontier buffers with nulls to effect a performance hit is unknown. Anyone else in Seattle/Everett have th same issues with Frontier?

Collapse -
model 7500
by rmx77 / June 12, 2011 1:58 PM PDT

i to also have a westell 7500 and i got it back in january or so there of to replace the older modem we had. recently for some strange reason if i am working on a computer that has been turned off for a while a desktop the 7500 drops the net connection to all the computers that are connected to the 7500 and i have to reset the modem. this happens when i power on any computer that isnt connected to the 7500. if i build a new computer and then go to test it out no matter where it is in the condo the 7500 drops the net. i did call frontier and they told me that they cant replace the modem unless it was totally messed up where it wouldn't send or receive anything or that it wasnt getting power. so i am stuck with a messed up 7500 till i can come up with either a better modem like something like linksys or netgear or belkin or d-link or something. what would be a good dsl modem to find that would work with frontier

Collapse -
Westell 7500 + poor Frontier DSL performance
by reader7 / June 23, 2011 7:57 AM PDT

Finding this thread is a relief for me. I thought I was going crazy. I have a 3Mbps DSL with Frontier (was Verizon, in an area of Washington state, but not the Seattle area).

My experience includes just about every (negative) thing that's been contained in this thread. My slower connect speed issues (often to ~300 kBps from ~2,650 kBps) began early in 2011. I was told the slowdown was a result of "router hardware" being upgraded, and that the work would be completed in June. Nothing has changed, except for the worse: I began dropping my Internet session, in addition to having my connect speed slow way down. I saw that I would sometime be reconnected to the Internet in minutes, sometimes much longer. (The Westell 7500 the technician gave me on a May premise visit has seemed to neither help nor hurt.)

Numerous "24-hour" line checks have been done since March 2011, usually finding there were issues on the line condition, and that they're OK now; to call again if they persist. But they never are OK, and I call again. And again. (Unlike Verizon, the Frontier folks are professional and polite.)

My last call to Fronitier was Tuesday 6/21. After a few minutes of testing they said yes, we detect line problems, a tech will call and visit today (Tuesday) by 7 p.m. That was at 8:00 a.m. my time, and no one called or came out by 7:00 p.m.

Today a Frontier technician called and said he could see I was not dropping my Internet connection today (correct), but that there were line issues (correct: like ~150 kBps download!). Someone is supposed to see me on a premise visit tomorrow, 6/24.

My original issue was no connection, years ago when my provider was Verizon. That turned out to be a mistaken disconnect of my circuit in the central office(!), heh heh, and so sorry. Nothing at my house has changed in the years since then, but I suspect I'll be told this 2011 situation, now almost six months running, is somehow the fault of my hardware and my wire. I sincerely hope not. I'm not in a geographical area with many options for Internet service, and I fear all the providers are pretty much the same.

Collapse -
re: Frontier (Verizon) Westell 6100 DSL Modem Drops Connecti
by Schofield Bond / September 5, 2010 9:18 PM PDT

I think there is problem of line connection due to which it drops the connection of modem link. Please repair you line connection.

John Farris

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.