PC Hardware forum

Question

Front power button on computer quit working

by woodystyle777 / October 3, 2011 8:28 AM PDT

Hey guys,My computer has been working fine, but the other day i opened it up and pulled out the power supply to see what wattage it had (just bought it and curious). I did not disconnect it to anything else in the computer, just unscrewed it from the back so i could slide it over and see the sticker on the side. I put it all back but now the power button on the outside of the case you normally use to turn the computer on is not working. The only way i can turn on the computer right now is by opening it up, and pressing the power button on my motherboard. Everything else works perfectly.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Front power button on computer quit working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Front power button on computer quit working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Did you get out your Ohm Meter and test that button?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 9:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Look for the front panel connections on the MB
by Steven Haninger / October 3, 2011 9:19 AM PDT

The momentary switch that turns on the PC connects there. You'll need to trace the wiring but it should have a 2 connector plug and the wires are often red and black. You'll want to make sure you didn't dislodge it when you moved the PS. I've not seen the front panel harness dressed around PS harnesses but it could happen and moving the PS could be enough to unplug the connector.

Collapse -
where should i be tracking the wire too?
by woodystyle777 / October 3, 2011 10:12 AM PDT

Sorry about my lack of computer knowledge. Trace the wiring up to the power button? or are you saying trace it to power supply or motherboard? I tried tracing up to the button on the inside but i have no idea how to get in there. I didn't see any screws that open that section up.

Collapse -
You need to remove the front plastic cover
by Steven Haninger / October 3, 2011 7:08 PM PDT

of the case. Most of these just snap on to the metal framework. You need to remove the side covers first. I've built PCs using Antec cases and they usually have some barbed projection that passes through the frame. You need to get to where you can see them clearly. There will be two or three on each side and you need to push them to one side to release them. From there you can get to the innards of the front panel connections and one of these will be the momentary switch that powers on the PC. Note the color of the two wires and trace that through the front of the frame to the motherboard. There should be an array of pins somewhere on the motherboard that these connections go to and it's usually two rows of about 8 pins. If you find a disconnect at the motherboard, you've probably found your problem. If you're not comfortable with doing this, you probably need to seek help. If you take it to a shop, be prepared to pay a hefty bench fee just to look at it. I don't know the rates these days but they are probably upward of 80 bucks just to plunk it on the counter.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.