Cameras forum

General discussion

From Canon A620 to Sony a200 dslr to a megazoom....???

by jashinadia / September 26, 2010 3:04 PM PDT

Hi everyone. I'm a photography enthusiast and I've used a Canon Powershot A620 since 2006, giving me real excellent images and creativity over my shooting as it had manual controls, too. Most of the time, my friends would ask what dslr I used to take the photos I post online. (Yes, the camera is quite good, very easy to use and I love it very much!)

Anyway, just a few months ago, I gave it to my Mom, who's now become addicted to photo shooting. Happy This is because I purchased a 2nd hand Sony a200 as I wanted to try my hands on a dslr this time.

However, aside from the quite cleaner images and difference in the depth of field, I feel there is not so much difference in the photo quality from this dslr I'm using.. And since I got only the kitlens, 18-70mm, there is not much room for shooting distant subjects, either. Also, here in the Philippines, using dslrs in public places such as malls are generally not allowed (security issue, they say) and still frowned upon by authorities.. Anybody who has a dslr in his hand, no matter how basic it is, is thought of as a pro who is out to make money using their location/properties. Because of this, I feel quite restricted with this camera.

Now, I'll be traveling to Korea next month (my 2nd trip in 6 years). Back then, I only had a flimsy film camera with a broken battery door when most of my classmates and friends had digital cams already. As there are really many beautiful places which I want to capture in photos, what is the best alternative to this Sony a200?

I am thinking of purchasing a compact megazoom with manual controls but I do not have an idea which one has a better quality over Canon A620... or the Sony a200. Any suggestions, please?

Thank you for reading this!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: From Canon A620 to Sony a200 dslr to a megazoom....???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: From Canon A620 to Sony a200 dslr to a megazoom....???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nikon P7000
by PistonCupChampion / September 26, 2010 3:54 PM PDT

The P7000 is a brand new model, but it looks to be a potential winner. It uses a slightly larger image sensor compared to most compact cameras, coupled with slightly fewer megapixels. This improves noise levels. The 7x zoom lens covers 28-200mm, with a maximum aperture of f/2.8. Add in HD video, lots of external dials and buttons with full manual control, plus a viewfinder, which is missing from 99% of compact cameras.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P7000/P7000A.HTM

If you'd prefer a camera with a proven track record, the P7000 is basically a copy of Canon's G11. The Canon has a slightly narrower range 5x zoom lens, which covers 28-140mm. The G11 is being replaced by the G12; the G12 adds HD video.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G11/G11A.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G12/G12A.HTM

Collapse -
Cannot consider just-released cameras..
by jashinadia / September 26, 2010 5:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Nikon P7000

Thanks for the recommendation. But I'm afraid it is too new to be affordable and more importantly, available here in the Philippines.. at least thru eBay.

I am seeing Canon sx200 IS, several Panasonic, Fuji, and Kodak models but I am not sure if these are really good cameras (I'm not so much into the technical specs, just after high-quality images and manual control)).. Also, is Sony also a good option?

I've tried using my sister's H10. It's quite good but still I miss the "Canon-quality" in the image, even if it is only a P&S.

Collapse -
Travel Zooms
by PistonCupChampion / September 27, 2010 12:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Good Prospects
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 27, 2010 12:40 AM PDT

Here are two suggestions that you should be able to get in the Philippines.
Both produce excellent images.

The Kodak Z915 is being sold-off to make room for newer models.
In the USA, I have seen these sell for as little as $100.
It does not have a viewfinder but does have manual controls.

The Fujifilm S1500 also is being moved off the shelves to make room for newer models.
It has Manual Controls and has an electronic view finder.

Take a good look at both.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.