Computer Help forum

Alert

Fresh install of windows, weird case.

by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 7:28 AM PDT

Hey everyone, been a fan of CNET for a long while, but this is my first post on here... I have an asus g51jx ROG laptop. asus wants 60 dollars to send me the restore cd's and i'm trying to do one on my own. I've always had restore cd's to restore from.
there also isn't a restore partition.

Things i think i need to do:
Download windows 7 ultimate 64 bit iso image (what is currently installed on my computer)

Use Jelly bean Key finder to get my Windows key, make note of the two keys listed.

Use double driver to backup all of my drivers.

begin the fresh install, enter key etc... how would i install my drivers after that.

if i missed any steps please let me know.

Thanks
Nick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fresh install of windows, weird case.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fresh install of windows, weird case.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not at all weird but if you research this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 7:34 AM PDT

That key is not useful at all. I don't think we should have yet another discussion why it fails.

My son has a g51j ROG (small world) and we made the restore media. For the 4 DVDs I think it cost less than a dollar and we duplicated them for a total cost of 2 bucks. This laptop was 1,400 bucks in 2010 so just out of curiosity, why weren't the 2 bucks of restore media made?
Bob

Collapse -
Just bought
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 7:42 AM PDT

Bob,
Appreciate your quick reply. I recently got this laptop about a month ago. and the guy i bought it from provided no restore media. It also did not come with the Asus AI program. i want to erase all traces that he was here, like the registered owner is named dan... not me.... i'm just one of those anal people that like to have it my way, and clear out any custom settings that they may have been applied.

Collapse -
The restore media
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Just bought

Wipes the drive and changes the registered owner name. In the future try to supply the small details so folk don't ask silly questions about restore media. It's a small world that we have one here but my kid is on keyboard number 3 and at 80 bucks a pop you wish they'd last longer than a 18 months.

Asus's e-store is easy to navigate and I see it's 50 plus shipping at http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2393

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G51VX&s=191&hashedid=0rtKwgmuen69jiqw&os=&no=1775 details the F9 Factory Recovery which here restored the AI and such tools. Then you can make the DVDs.
Bob

Collapse -
Details, what condition of laptop?
by Willy / April 25, 2013 7:44 AM PDT

Since you plan to get some .ISO version of win7, your current key won't work. It's tied to the already installed OS. Why do you need jelly bean anyways, since the key should be om some decal/sticker on the laptop. You had your chance to make restore/recovery discs when the laptop was running using the s/w that creates them. Since, that wasn't done you're left at this stage. So where ever you get replacement OS, be sure to have the key supplied. As for drivers all those should be had from the Asus support website for your model# laptop. if some discrepancy happens, I use PCWizard 2013 to ID the items/devices installed in order to get the right driver. if not from Asus, then the actaul maker's support website.

So what is the condition of you laptop status now, is it running and why do you want to reload the OS? If in fact it is running, use the s/w to create the restore/recovery discs. Check Asus support to follow their instructions to do so.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
willy,
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 7:47 AM PDT

sorry, my computer actually is running in tip top shape. i just bought it second hand.. and the COA sticker is severely worn. I understand how to create the Asus recovery using the AI program, however, it will back up all current information my device... i want to have a fresh install with no existing files/programs/etc... just the OS and my drivers. hence why a ghosting/cloning program won't work.

thanks
nick

Collapse -
and
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: willy,

and why the ASUS AI program won't work that Asus want's you to use. Because it backs up all programs/files

Collapse -
Then you are in for $$$ and pain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: willy,

A clean install is not only costly because you must purchase a full retail OS license but the clean install is too hard on most users. Sometimes you get a new ENTITLED user that thinks they are entitled the full retail version and a step by step to get it all working again.

That type usually flames out before they can get any help.

Take my word for it that such a clean install is vastly over rated.
Bob

Collapse -
??
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 7:57 AM PDT

Bob,
I'm just curious as to why the current OS key won't work. I'm pretty technologically? inclined. I've done fresh installs before form bootable discs/flash drives and used the the same key and had it work perfectly.

Collapse -
That has been discussed so many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

That I see no gain in covering it again. Many will try is as they don't believe. Why not? After you do the usual F9 Asus restore and make your own recovery media you can try it knowing this will definitely wipe out the recovery partition forever.
Bob

Collapse -
things is
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 8:49 AM PDT

I'm up the creek without a paddle... i have 0 recovery media, no restore partition, and F9 only takes me to an OS select, and recovery partition is not an option as i don't have one. Didn't mean to piss you off sir... that was the last thing i'm trying to do. i was just trying to understand, and further my knowledge of my device.

i'm just assuming your saying the absolute way to do a clean or out of box install (i realize these are two different things) is to get the ASUS recovery media from them.

my apologies.

Collapse -
No problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: things is

I understand the issues but why duplicate those thousands of prior discussions? I'm sure folk really want to hash it out again but sure, why not?

What did you need to know other than it doesn't work?

If you are in SoCal, let me know and I'll see which exact ROG this is. Ours has the backlit kbd but it's out of commision till the new keyboard arrives.
Bob

Collapse -
lol
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem.

Ha, wish i was in socal. i'm in central ohio

My laptop is also kind of goofy. it's a g51jx-x2 but the mb version is g60jx.

Mine also has the backlit keyboard...

couple questions,

what keeps happening to your keyboard?
and
ASUS recovery media is the only way to wipe everything out and restart to an out of box state?

Collapse -
All the g51's use that board.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: lol

Not at all goofy it seems.

As to your question. No. The last time we did this the recovery partition was gone so technically it's not to the out of the box state. To do that you have to send it in. Very expensive compared to recovery media. Ours is a Model: G51J with the MB Version: G60JX so my bet is since you are in the USA you can use the same media.

Do you have a FTP site to send .ISO's to? Figure 10GB or so.
Bob

Collapse -
never used
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 9:12 AM PDT

Never really used an FTP client before. not really familiar with it although i know what it is and what it does. before you take the time to upload that though, i would still need to find a different key that isn't the one currently on my computer correct?

Collapse -
Never had to enter the key.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: never used

That's another well discussed area. The restore media for OEM or ready to use PCs don't use this. Can you imagine the havoc if folk had to do this? Windows would have died out years ago.
Bob

Collapse -
i guess
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

i guess that's what i get for always using torrent/iso images that aren't factory. i would definately appreciate the restore media, i'm trying to research a cloud service or ftp where i can get 10 gb

Collapse -
It's not my keyboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: lol

My son plays video games on it and it wears out.

It also needs the usual canned air cleaning every month as it's quite the hot puppy.
Bob

Collapse -
never really
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: It's not my keyboard.

Never really used an FTP client before. not really familiar with it although i know what it is and what it does. before you take the time to upload that though, i would still need to find a different key that isn't the one currently on my computer correct?

posted this again, since you replied while i was gone, just trying to get this to the bottom so you see it

Collapse -
BOB, wanted to move the conversation here
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: never really

The thread we were going back and forth on is full... please email if you can, scarinu10@gmail.com so we can continue

Collapse -
Recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 10:05 AM PDT

The forum can bottom out but if you find a ftp or drive location just click on my name and tell me where to dump a few .isos.

I don't want to upset you but repeating all that has been covered before in regard to using the OEM keys on retail or other OEM OS DVDs is not going to change the answer. Some folk want to hash it over and over and I'll let others do that.
Bob

Collapse -
it's not
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Recap.
Collapse -
Late here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: it's not

I'll look at this tomorrow. Good news is Asus shipped the keyboard and it was only 2 days and it was on my doorstep. I installed it and all keys work again.
Bob

Collapse -
awesome
by scarinu10 / April 25, 2013 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Late here.

awesome that your keyboard got there. Please email me when you finish uploading, and i will pull the files out of mediafire.... the folder is set to private, unless you have the link i pasted, so you won't be uploading the discs for all of the world to see. Just for me.

I really appreciate all of your help sir.
Your a saint

thanks
nick

Collapse -
This will take some time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: awesome

This set is 6 DVDs so 50 bucks for 6 DVDs is a bargain. Many have been 35 bucks for 2 DVDs. I can't guess what's on the 6 DVDs but have put a few to .iso with IMGBurn. You may want to have that ready to burn the media.

This will be sent out on the little netbook we use for such things. Kind of a low priority machine that runs and runs as a mini server at the office.
Bob

Collapse -
Just got the total. 18.4GB. 6 DVDs will be needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 3:42 AM PDT

It takes about 25 minutes to copy it from my old USB 2.0 memory stick to the host that will do this. So that's on its way to the host at the office now.
Bob

Collapse -
It's going out now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 4:20 AM PDT

But that's a lot of data so it's all on autopilot AFAIK. That link seems to have worked but there is not much showing on the progress bar as it's pretty big.

Collapse -
i will
by scarinu10 / April 26, 2013 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: It's going out now.

i will keep an eye on it. I really appreciate all of the trouble your going through for me. Your a saint man.

Thanks A lot.

Collapse -
Looks like it will take 2 weeks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: i will

There's a reason I asked for a FTP site. A lot less overhead in the transfer. But it's on autopilot now.
Bob

Collapse -
It says Upload Complete.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 3:05 AM PDT

Sorry but I have no other indication it worked.

Just a tip. Learn more about FTP. It would have been at least 20 to 50% faster.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.