TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Freeware to catalogue my media?

by pgs5 / June 9, 2013 6:00 PM PDT

I have music CDs, movies on DVDs, plus audio and video files on my pc.

So far I have been keying in my CDs into Excel, movies into CDTree, and using Win7 search to locate my files on the pc.

Is there one piece of software that can catalogue all? It would be great if it could:
- access internet for artist and title info
- import/export to xls or csv
- have a field/column for library number, because I have given all my discs a number to find them easily. (I have over 1000 music cds, and quite a few dvds)

If there isnt any free software, whats the cheapest one that will do the job?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Freeware to catalogue my media?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Freeware to catalogue my media?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Very limited selection, if you need a free product
by Pepe7 / June 10, 2013 1:04 AM PDT

IME, you will have to pony up some cash if you want such a product that is truly feature driven. Most if not all off the free stuff is basically horrible. I would look at collectorz.com as a worthwhile, paid option. Your wish to have a unique catalog number may only be possible though when you export to your spreadsheet though. It's just not something most folks prioritize, with the exception of librarians (who I work with daily) ;).

Collapse -
Collectorz requires 3 programs
by pgs5 / June 10, 2013 10:19 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at Collectorz. If I understand it right, they require me to purchase 3 pieces of software for my needs... Movie Collector, Music Collector and MP3 Collector. They have discounts for bundles, but none that I saw contained those 3 programs. Maybe I can get away with just Movie and Music. I will try the trial version to see if it does all that I need

Collapse -
Yes, that is correct (n/t)
by Pepe7 / June 11, 2013 2:27 AM PDT

n/t

Collapse -
Answer
found a 99% solution - MediaMonkey
by pgs5 / June 12, 2013 6:24 PM PDT

I've been testing the free version of MediaMonkey and so far it has done almost all I need it to do...
- access internet for CD info
- export database to Excel, plus configure which fields I want to export.
- Along with the predefined fields, there are several custom fields. They are sortable too.

The only option I havent found is to import from Excel. But that is not possible with Collectorz too.

Collapse -
There are MM scripts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 4:08 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.