Computer Help forum

General discussion

Free WinZip

by Jerome Leon / March 5, 2009 12:03 PM PST

I have had WinZip for some years and my recollection is that it was free when I got it. I have a friend who wants it free. I see that is can be had for $29 but there are also websites that claim to offer it free. I just wonder if there is a catch to those kind of offers?

I also know that the WinZip website says a person can get it free through the TrialPlay program which requires a person to sign up for a trial to one of several different programs offered. That may be the best way to do but I thought I'd make this inquiry anyway.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Free WinZip
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Free WinZip
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by anmor / March 5, 2009 1:15 PM PST
In reply to: Free WinZip

I don't reecall it ever being free, only shareware, but there other free ones that will do the job if you Google for them.
One such is IZArc35.

Collapse -
(NT) Or Tugzip.
by Kees Bakker / March 5, 2009 4:40 PM PST
Collapse -
WinZip has NEVER been free and if you ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 6, 2009 10:04 PM PST

have not paid for it you have violated the license and essentially stolen the use of the program. In the directory that you have installed WinZip you will find a text file named License.txt and it rather clearly states the terms of the license to use WinZip.

Please read the license terms below. If you do not agree to all
of the terms of this License, then do not use, install, copy,
distribute, or transmit WinZip.

This is not free software. Subject to the terms below, you are
hereby licensed by WinZip Computing, Inc. ("WCI") to use one copy
of WinZip, on one (1) computer or workstation, for evaluation
purposes without charge for a period of 21 days. If you use this
software after the 21-day evaluation period, a license fee of $29
is required. Payments must be in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S.
bank, and should be sent to WinZip Computing, Inc., P.O. Box 540,
Mansfield, CT 06268, USA. Use of WinZip after the 21-day
evaluation period without payment of the license fee is a breach
of this License and a violation of U.S. and international
copyright laws.

We know you most likely didn't intend to pirate the software, but you should really either immediately go to the Winzip web site and pay for what you are using or uninstall it and install a completely free utility for the job such as ZipGenius - or CamZip - or SimplyZip - or one of the others suggested (all of which actually are freeware).

Collapse -
by williamkidd / March 8, 2009 3:21 PM PDT

"WinZip has NEVER been free and if you ..."
I may be mistaken but I believe that early in its' lifetime Winzip was postcardware (search Wikipedia for a definition) but later turned into trialware (w/an evaluation period). The problem with the trialware in some versions is that it never expired so people kept using it w/o paying the license fee although that may have been fixed in later versions. Winzip is now owned by Corel and now has a 45-day evaluation period, not the 21-day period mentioned in Edward's post (see

If I were to get it then it would have to be from the official site (mentioned in previous paragraph) or a reputable site like or I'm not so sure about the soft82 site that you mentioned, Jerome. Web of Trust doesn't give that site a very good rating (if you don't use WoT then you should). Sites may say that you can get something for free but you may end up with malware as an additional bonus. As for the TrialPlay, you may end up paying more with the trials then you do by going ahead and paying for the program in the first place.

Others here have listed some alternatives to Winzip but you can find more, along with their license type, on Wikipedia by doing a search for "comparison of file archivers" (w/o the quotes).

One more thing to know is that Windows Vista has built-in compression so if you have that OS then you could use that (search for "zip files" in Windows Help). I haven't tried that feature myself so I can't say whether it is useful or not.

Collapse -
by Jerome Leon / March 16, 2009 11:28 AM PDT

Well, my friend decided to get WinZip rather than the free ones.

I used WinZip free for some years. When I would use it, I was given the option of an evaluation button. It looks like that somewhere along the line I must have bought it because I no longer have the evaluation button.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.