PC Applications forum

General discussion

free screen capture utility

by guitarsky / October 26, 2004 11:07 AM PDT

Is there a simple way to capture (save) any web page or screen exactly as it appears? I have a compaq presario running Windows ME. Any help would be greatly appreciated>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: free screen capture utility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: free screen capture utility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: free screen capture utility
by FrankQTran / October 26, 2004 2:15 PM PDT

Do you try the "PrintScreen" button then use MS Paint to paste it?

Regards,

Collapse -
The man said "simple"!
by Mishanoid / December 1, 2008 1:00 AM PST

Obviosly using PrintScrn, pasting into paint, typing file name and saving it into specified location while constantly having to interrupt the program you were enjoing was not simple enough for him. That is why he went to cnet to learn of a better way. Now go teach your grandma PrintScrn.

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / October 26, 2004 10:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
by z3sh8rain / October 26, 2004 11:16 PM PDT

I'm using ScreenPrint32 which I got on download.com - it works well, gives you the option to save to file or print directly to the printer (or both) and is free to register for personal use. I'm happy with it.

Collapse -
IrfanView
by ChuckT / October 27, 2004 4:33 AM PDT

Little talked about feature of IrfanView is its screen Capture ability
(command: Options/Capture, or just "C").

IrfanView is free, and it works very well.

Collapse -
by riversedge / October 29, 2004 1:15 AM PDT

i agree with z3sh8rain post ScreenPrint32 works great compared to some of the other progs i bought to do this before i found it...

Collapse -
by jdflute / October 28, 2004 5:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
by sbrager / October 28, 2004 5:17 PM PDT

You can "capture" a website simply by saving it to your harddrive or wherever. As far as saving a screen, just press the "print Screen" key. This puts a copy of the screen on the clipboard. Next, paste (save) it to PowerPoint, Photoshop, or even Word.

Stan

Collapse -
Again - he asked for "simple"!
by Mishanoid / December 1, 2008 1:11 AM PST

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us, that has been know since windows 95, but it is not simple. Simple is pressing one (specified by you) button and having the screen captured in specified format and directory, all while minimal interruption to your program. What you suggest is not simple - it's complicated and menial.

Collapse -
Why are you replying
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 6:49 AM PST

to a post that is over 4 years old?

I suspect that everyone has moved on by now.

Mark

Collapse -
by Jeca / October 28, 2004 5:42 PM PDT

Try Irfan view. Fine image viewer with hot key for screen capture

Collapse -
by satish777 / October 28, 2004 5:53 PM PDT

Hi GuitarSky

If you are not looking at doing 'fancy' things, just press the Print Screen (PrtScr) button in your computer. This will transfer the entire display as it appears in the screen to the clipboard memory. Now you can go to any graphics program - easiest being MS Paint - and select paste from the edit menu (Ctrl+V). The image captured in the clipboard memory will be transferred to the graphics application. You can now save it in whatever formal you want... bmp / jpg / px, etc.

Hope this helps Happy

Satish

Collapse -
by johnnyrich2002 / October 28, 2004 6:31 PM PDT

Hi - I agree with the other people who suggest PrtScr for a couple of reasons...

- It's there and it's free and it's part of the operating system

- It doesn't require any further program to be loaded, taking RAM.

Also, using the PrtScr key on it's own will capture (copy to clipboard) the whole of the screen BUT, using Alt/PrtScr captures just the active window.

I've written loads of technical/user documentation with just these key sequences, pasting each into Word. If using Word it's also worth playing with the page layout (landscape/portrait) prior to pasting. Once your screen capture is in Word you can use the drag handles to alter the size of the image.

Hope this helps

John R

Collapse -
by bobwatt / October 28, 2004 8:13 PM PDT

ScreenPrint32 (Provtech) (www.screenprint32.com)
Does it ALL! I've been using v3 for years with Win 9x and now XP. v3.5 now available. User friendly, saves in several formats where you say to disk, clip-board or print. Can save predefined area, active window, full screen or user selection. Excellent program and FREE to home users with full function. NOT a 30-day trial. The only choice!

Collapse -
screen capture
by julia_taylor / September 9, 2010 10:06 AM PDT

I use SnapIt for this purpose

Collapse -
by katzan / October 28, 2004 10:04 PM PDT

You can use CTRL PrintScreen in most MS operating systems which will copy the screen contents to the clipboard from which you can paste the screen contents into a document.

Or I use ScreenHunter which is available free through Cnet. It is more flexible in that it allows you to select a portion of the screen to capture and either save to the clipboard or save to a file.

Either work just fine.

Collapse -
Re: CTRL PrintScreen; CTRL doesn't do anything extra
by ChuckT / October 29, 2004 7:53 AM PDT

Don't bother with the CTRL key, it doesn't do anything that just pressing the PrintScreen button doesn't already do.

But ALT PrintScreen does, it copies the active window.

Collapse -
by scrambled0206 / October 28, 2004 11:04 PM PDT

I have tried several programs and the best one, in my opinion is Gadwin Printscreen. You can get it at http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/?prnscr. Its free and it works great and the instructions are easy to follow.

Collapse -
by srbradbury / October 28, 2004 11:20 PM PDT

You can just hit print screen on your keyboard. Then go to an image application like Fireworks and paste it.

Collapse -
by nhklein / October 28, 2004 11:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
by amadensor / October 28, 2004 11:43 PM PDT

The simplest, least expensive screen capture tool is on your keyboard (if you are running Windows) The print screen key.

Print Screen=Capture whole screen to clipboard, then just paste into any image editing software (even MS Paint)
Alt+Print Screen=Capture only active window to the clipboard
Shift+Print Screen=Print to printer

If you are using Linux, the GIMP has a screen/window capture option under the File->Acquire menu.

Collapse -
Re: Shift+Print Screen=Print to printer ??
by ChuckT / October 29, 2004 7:57 AM PDT

Must be a utility you are running, since I have never seen "Shift+Print Screen" print to printer.

But I could be wrong. Let me know what OS you are running and I'll try it again.

Collapse -
by bdunn21 / October 28, 2004 11:47 PM PDT

Hi,

I've found the easiest way to capture the screen is to:

1. Make sure your printer (if attached) is turned off.
2. Press <Shift>/<Print Screen>. This places a copy of the screen on the clipboard.
3. Open an application like Word/Wordperfect.
4. Paste (Edit -> Paste) the image onto a blank page.

Cheers,

Collapse -
Re: <Shift>/<Print Screen> or possibly just <Print Screen> ?
by ChuckT / October 29, 2004 8:00 AM PDT

Try just pressing the <Print Screen> key without the <Shift>.

See if that does the exact same thing.
Let me know if it doesn't. I'm curious to learn.

Collapse -
by ikswortso / October 29, 2004 12:08 AM PDT

Hi..

go to http://www.analogx.com and on the left...find under software......'system'....then scroll down to 'CAPTURE'.........it is an excellent program...and you can set a 'hotkey'...to snap a pix of whats on your screen at anytime..
g'luck

Collapse -
by kayjay40 / October 29, 2004 12:21 AM PDT

To screen capture:
There are two ways, one without cropping of the image and one with. (The steps make this look harder than it is. If you do it once or twice, you'll get the hang of it. It is like riding a bicycle.)
Saving without cropping
1) press CTRL and then Print Screen (upper right area of keyboard),
2) This puts an image of your current screen, all of it, on the "clipboard."
3) Open Paint, the free MS utility program.
4) Click on Edit Paste to put the clipboard image in Paint. Now you can save it as a BMP, JPEG or other image format.
Saving a screen image with cropping:
1) Having done Ctrl-Print Screen, open MS Word to a new document or the document you want to put the image in. Use Edit Paste or Ctrl V to put that image in a document.
2)Click on the image. You should open the PICTURE tool bar. If this doesn't happen automatically, click on VIEW TOOLBARS and then click on PICTURE.
3) Click on CROP icon. (middle of PICTURE toolbar)This changed the cursor to look like the icon.
4) In the middle of the four sides of the image to crop is a small square. Place the CROP icon on the square; it'll change to a "T".
5) Slide the edge you are cropping up or down or sideways, whichever you want.
6) When you're done, click somewhere off the image to regain normal mouse control.
This has worked with all MS Word versions I've had. I do not have XP, but can't imagine why it still wouldn't work. Ken J, Portland, Oregon, USA

Collapse -
Re: CTRL and then Print Screen, why do you need CTRL?
by ChuckT / October 29, 2004 8:04 AM PDT

Regarding your step "pressing CTRL and then Print Screen"
Try your same steps without pressing CTRL.

Doesn't the same thing happen?

Collapse -
Re: CTRL and then Print Screen, why do you need CTRL?
by kayjay40 / October 29, 2004 9:52 PM PDT

You are right, Chuck. Earlier versions of Windows needed the CTRL + Print Screen and I'd never changed my usage of it. Thanks for the tip. Ken

Collapse -
by cbsimkins / October 29, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

Snagit by Websmith is free to try, but you should buy it after the trial period is over. I have used it several times and do so especially for some sites where you cannot cut and paste the content.
CBS

Collapse -
by reptar / October 29, 2004 2:38 AM PDT

The Opera browser has File/Save with images as..., which works nicely to capture a web page. View it in a browser and the links still work.

If the page fits on one screen, press the "print Scrn" button to capture the screen into a buffer. Then open a graphics program, use the "paste" command, and save the image with the name and file type you prefer. I use .gif.

Paint Shop Pro (for one) has a configurable screen capture function.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.