AVG forum

General discussion

Free license number

by nathaniel klotz / August 17, 2010 1:59 AM PDT

When I go to download the free AVG Antivirus, part of the process involves giving my user name and license number. What do I put for either of them. I have an AVG account set up and I couldn't find any license number there.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Free license number
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Free license number
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Free license number
by Ondrej_AVG / August 17, 2010 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Free license number

Hello nathaniel klotz,

please be informed that installation of every AVG product requires username (random) and license number, BUT in installation of AVG Free or AVG Trial is a license number pre-entered automatically by the installation wizard (no action needed from user). In case user damaged the pre-entered license number by accident and installation wizard cannot continue, it is enough to go one step back in the installation process (using "Back" button) and continue as usually (license number in correct form will be re-entered again).

In case the installation wizard does not enter the license number automatically or "freeze" in some process for a long time, please make sure you are using fully updated operating system and internet browser (Internet Explorer); and full AVG installation file - direct link http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afg-free - instead of the download manager version to check, if installation will be then successful.

Another way how to download the full AVG installation file is second option on this AVG website:
http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-afg#tba2

Thank you

Collapse -
AVG License Error for AVG 2012
by Ghostz543 / April 21, 2012 11:54 PM PDT

Help me!!!

Collapse -
Re: AVG License Error for AVG 2012
by Ondrej_AVG / April 22, 2012 5:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
No, there is no key
by cyber_nicco / May 22, 2012 5:53 AM PDT

I have tried the cnet download, the direct link provided 64bit download and online install from AVG and EVERY ONE OF THEM shows a blank field for the license key and won't progress without one being entered.

Very frustrating.

Collapse -
Never mind
by cyber_nicco / May 22, 2012 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: No, there is no key

I was trying to install on a server. I now know this is normal behavior.

Collapse -
Probably incompatibility with windows server 2008
by austin-tx-developer / August 20, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

I've run into this problem as well.
1. Already downloaded the full installer
2. Tried install, the license number is not pre-entered
3. Read this forum, and since it mentioned Internet Explorer, I tried disabling IE ESC (Enhanced Security Configuration) for Administrators. Did not work.
4. With ESC off, I tried running installer as an Administrator. Still did not work.

It's a free product, so clearly we have no grounds for complaining. But it would be nice if the minority of people who run Windows Server 2003/2008 for testing (as opposed to running an enterprise server environment) could also benefit from AVG's generosity.

Thanks.

Collapse -
RE: Probably incompatibility with windows server 2008
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / August 20, 2012 8:59 PM PDT

Hi austin-tx-developer,

The described behavior is actually a feature. Please be informed AVG Free Edition cannot be installed on a server operating systems. If user tries to do that, the installation wizard expects a business license number to be entered (it will automatically download components based on the license number provided).

For testing purposes, please use one of AVG trial business editions.

Thank you for your interest in AVG.

Collapse -
RE: Probably incompatibility with windows server 2008
by Kevin_Adams05 / April 25, 2013 4:42 AM PDT

Why is there not a message that informs the users that they need a license to install AVG on a server?

Clearly you are already checking the OS version to see if it is a server OS. So why aren't you telling the users that is why they are being prompted for a license key? Instead you are just pissing us off and making us Google something this trivial. That's just lazy coding.

Collapse -
I dont know how to get a license number
by annamariaa / September 14, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

I need help to clean my laptop but i dont know how,it this is giving me a hard time to clean it Sad

Collapse -
Re: I dont know how to get a license number
by Ondrej_AVG / September 14, 2010 3:49 PM PDT

Hello annamariaa,

could you please provide us with more detailed description of your situation?

As subject of your post is about license number, but body of the post is about laptop cleaning.
Some steps about computer cleaning could be found in this AVG Free Forum How-to article.

Thank you

Collapse -
LICENCE KEY OF AVG ANTIVIRUS
by LALIT LUCKY / September 16, 2010 1:31 PM PDT

Send me licence key of AVG antivirus

Collapse -
Re: LICENCE KEY OF AVG ANTIVIRUS
by Ondrej_AVG / September 16, 2010 3:41 PM PDT

Hello LALIT LUCKY,

AVG Free does not need license number during AVG installation (it is pre-entered automatically).

In case you are our customer using paid AVG product, please follow this AVG webform.

If you are asked to enter new AVG license number as was invalidated in already installed AVG, please check your hard drive for errors and reinstall AVG. If the issue still persists, please provide us with all requested information (operating system, used protection applications, firewall, etc.).

Thank you

Collapse -
License Key on a free product??
by CPO_Mendez / February 18, 2011 10:41 AM PST

Hello Ondrej_AVG. I'm having the same issues as these unfortunate people and from reading numerous other forums, We're not the only one. I've done just as you said and uninstalled and re-installed and yet it still says my License is invalid. Which is ironic, considering "(it is pre-entered automatically)." I believe it would also be wise to note I called your customer service number and was transferred to your "Tech Support Line" which was just a recording telling me to email in my issues. I find it odd that it's so difficult to simply get a valid key. Either you don't want customers or you are trying to get the worst possible rating when it comes to Customer Service standards. And as far as "check your hard drive for errors and reinstall AVG" what program do you recommend? I've checked all three of my hdd's with Win7's basic error checking software and they all come out fine. Perhaps you should get a better Tech Support number for those of us who actually are having issues instead of an automated message.

Collapse -
License issues
by Dusan_AVG / February 19, 2011 7:45 PM PST

Hello CPO_Mendez,

Detailed thread about license number issues can be found here.

Windows 7 chkdsk tool is sufficient for checking your harddrive.
Please also check your memory modules.

If the issue still persists afterwards, please provide us with all needed information and with MSinfo output. You can upload to output to some online storage service and provide us with link to it.

Unfortunately phone support is not a guaranteed service for AVG Free users.
There is no email support available for Free users.

Thank you

Collapse -
AVG's Issues.
by CPO_Mendez / March 17, 2011 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: License issues

No it's ok. I'll just go with something that works better (or actually works). Like Kaspersky.

Collapse -
I need avg password
by bappagama / February 16, 2012 8:38 PM PST

avg password

Collapse -
Re: I need avg password
by Ondrej_AVG / February 16, 2012 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: I need avg password

Hello bappagama,

Collapse -
AVG Free 2013 Requiring License
by AMslimfordy / January 10, 2013 11:46 PM PST

I'm having the same issue as many of those listed above.

I just downloaded AVG Free 2013 (from CNet via AVG's website redirect). Upon load, I receive the following message:

AVG License Error
AVG is not able to recognize your license number.
Please click on Re-enter and enter your license number again.
If it does not resolve the problem please reinstall AVG.

I have fully uninstalled, restarted computer, reinstalled, restarted computer, etc. but to no avail. It seems that there may be an issue with AVG Free's auto-generation of a license number.

I have been a long-time user of AVG and would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
RE: AVG Free 2013 Requiring Licens
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / January 15, 2013 7:32 PM PST

Hi AMslimfordy,

I recommend following this article to solve this license issue.

Let me know the results.

Thanks, Jan.

Collapse -
This old discussion is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 5:37 AM PDT

New versions are out so this old discussion is out of date.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.