Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Free duplicate file finder for Vista?

by Heateater / November 26, 2008 10:40 PM PST

Vista Home Premium
HP Pavilion x64

When I restored my emails from crashed old computer Outlook Express to new computer Windows Mail I ended up with many, many duplicates. Is there a way to clean them out?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Free duplicate file finder for Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Free duplicate file finder for Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Duplicate Finder...
by John.Wilkinson / November 26, 2008 11:50 PM PST

I have never tried it, but despite the poor English used by its developers I have heard positive comments regarding Duplicate Finder for Windows Mail, which has a 30-day free trial.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
RE: Duplicate Finder...
by Heateater / November 27, 2008 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Duplicate Finder...

John,

Thanks for fast reply. Too pricey for this poor old guy I'm afraid. ($39.95) Let me add more to the problem. The old computer was backed up with Carbonite. When I restored to new computer & OS you would not believe the mess it caused in Windows Mail because I had 3 email identities that I used in Outlook Express. 1 for family mail, 1 for personal friends and one for using on sites like this. Everything got lumped together. And shortly afterward the new HP crashed and had to completely reinstall Vista. Now I have Carbonite backups of backups to untangle. Some people in my Contacts list are listed 6-8 times or more. I should have bought XP on new computer (like the old) and the restore would have been effortless.

I said all that to say that I have duplicate files in other programs too. If I absolutely have to purchase software I would like it to do more than Windows Mail & I can't see me spending $39

Heateater

Collapse -
SHouldn't be necessary...
by John.Wilkinson / November 28, 2008 1:49 AM PST

I believe that application's 30-day is not feature-limited, meaning you can use it freely for 30 days, plenty of time to untangle the mess weaved by the transition.

For standard files (not email/contacts), Easy Duplicate File Finder requires a little more thought than some one-click paid applications, but it is free of charge and fully capable.

John

Collapse -
EasyDuplicateFinder is NOT FREE
by johny212 / April 30, 2010 12:21 AM PDT

They are prompted to "register" with your name and email, with no mention of charge. Only after you provide this information do you find there is a $40 charge to get a full feature set. This software is NOT free!

Collapse -
No freebie yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2008 11:12 PM PST

Sorry but this title or "software that does this" is not free yet.

Since it's not worth the money maybe you can explore exporting your email to some title like Thunderbird.

I see Thunderbird can do this (for free) with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/956

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
To allancass. Posts deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 27, 2009 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: No freebie yet.

I deleted your 3 posts.

You are posting into old discussions and linking to the same product. Sorry, bu that is spamming.

Mark

Collapse -
Duplicates
by Larrry82 / September 21, 2009 2:49 AM PDT

There are some programmes for Vista to find duplicate files. I used to delete music duplicate file I used the programme Clone Remover for such aim. It helped me. And not only for music files. For pictures, music and a lot of others. Now it is more free place on my PC Happy
Good luck!

Collapse -
Say.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2009 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Duplicates

Could you preview your post before posting?

Collapse -
Duplicate Finder
by johny212 / April 30, 2010 12:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's the Download.com link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2010 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Duplicate Finder
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.