Mac OS

General discussion

free download accelerator for snowleopard

by tapasdesai / December 25, 2009 3:43 AM PST

i cant find any Sad

i get a lousy speed while my friend w/ windows 7 and idm (internet download manager) gets a much better download speed

whyy ??!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: free download accelerator for snowleopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: free download accelerator for snowleopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Factors to consider
by sturner--2008 / December 25, 2009 1:31 PM PST

1. Are you both connecting to the same ISP, through the same connection?

2. what are the speed differences in your processors?

3. Are you downloading from the same locations?

4. What are the sizes of downloads and how much time total does it take for an identical download of the same file from the same location?

Answer these and we may be able to give you a reason.

Also, downloaders may only appear to give you a speed boost. Depends upon the system overhead, the connection and the program.

Collapse -
ok
by tapasdesai / December 26, 2009 3:30 AM PST

connected to same isp.
downloading frm different sites.
my processor is better.
i dont know nething bout the server im downloading frm, or his.

but that still doesnt justify why he gets 70 kbps+ using idm while i get 32 kbps max on safari download manager.

Collapse -
I wonder if you have looked
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 26, 2009 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: ok

under the Apple Menu/Mac OS X Software/Internet Utilities/Speed Download

Not quite free, so treat yourself

P

Collapse -
Source matters
by GNJ / December 26, 2009 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: ok

"downloading frm different sites."

I don't care how big *your* barge is --- how fast it fills depends on where the stuff is coming from -- and how it gets there.

Depending on your router/modem --- you could give your machine/Safari a higher priority and blow your Windows buddy out of the water --- if your download SOURCE can deliver.

A generic download manager will do nothing for you regarding speed. Their purpose in life is to provide easy recovery from an interrupted download by keeping track of how much you already have and log-on/ password info to get back into it. (yea I know --- some **specific developer** downloaders use P2P style to bring in pieces from different "mirrors"). Your Mac already does that (though you may occasionally need to enter the log-on stuff again).

Collapse -
Use Firefox
by rnauth1418 / December 29, 2009 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Source matters

Firefox handles internet compression much better with downthemall. It helps to speed up the de-compression of internet packets. Try it out. It should help at least a little bit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.