Windows Vista

General discussion

Free/Discounted Upgrades...

by John.Wilkinson / October 5, 2006 2:25 PM PDT

Microsoft has been planning the program since early summer and will officially release the details later this month. However, the following is presumed to be true:

Program Details:
* Known as the Windows Vista Technology Upgrade Program.
* Runs from October 26, 2006 through March 15, 2007.
* Applies to new computers purchased during that timeframe.
* Valid only with manufactured computers...does not apply to those purchasing copies of XP.
* Only valid with computers that meet Vista's requirements. (May exclude budget models.)

Upgrades will be:
* Windows XP Home: $49 upgrade to Windows Vista Home Basic
* Windows XP Home: $79 upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.
* Windows XP Media Center: Free upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.
* Windows XP Professional: Free upgrade to Windows Vista Business.
* Windows XP Tablet PC: Free upgrade to Windows Vista Business.

John

Primary source: CRN

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Free/Discounted Upgrades...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Free/Discounted Upgrades...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sweet!
by wildj / October 6, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

Now I've just got to decide whether or not to purchase a new pc at the end of Oct or whenever for the free upgrade to home premium or wait until the end of Jan when Vista is pre-installed.

Collapse -
I'd buy the new PC
by carolina1 / March 14, 2007 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Sweet!

In fact...The more expensive the better. Make sure you get the best graphics card and sound card...Ooooh yeah, don't forget the hologram card and yeah...IT STILL PROBABLY WON"T WORK RIGHT.

Download Linux for free and it'll work with a whole lot less effort.

Collapse -
UPDATE...
by John.Wilkinson / October 24, 2006 10:16 AM PDT

The above pricing holds true for those under the System Builder License (small/independent builders), where upgrades are provided directly from Microsoft. However, individual manufacturers can manipulate that as they see fit, so:

System Builders:
* Windows XP Home: $49 upgrade to Windows Vista Home Basic.
* Windows XP Home: $79 upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.
* Windows XP Media Center: FREE upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.
* Windows XP Professional: FREE upgrade to Windows Vista Business.
* Windows XP Tablet PC: FREE upgrade to Windows Vista Business.

HP/Compaq:
* Windows XP Home: FREE upgrade to Windows Vista Home Basic.

Dell:
* Windows XP Home: $45 upgrade to Windows Vista Home Basic.

Note that in all cases the end user must pay for shipping and handling.

It is not immediately clear exactly what offers other manufacturers have planned.

John

Collapse -
Thanks for the update John...
by wildj / October 24, 2006 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: UPDATE...

The shipping and handling shouldn't be more than $6 bucks and that's still a good deal if you can get the upgrade itself for free.

Collapse -
S/H
by prescotthenry / November 7, 2006 9:58 PM PST

I'm seeing shipping and handling $20 on New Egg.

Collapse -
I paid $10
by wildj / November 8, 2006 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: S/H

through Dell when I got my XPS 410.

Collapse -
i'll still wait.
by set8up / October 28, 2006 6:49 AM PDT

nice, i origainally wanted to get a Evesham 720dc, but since similar spec(ed) andpriced apple core 2 laptop is out, i might well get the apple and use boot camp to run vista...still, i might wait for vista to come out, as soon as vista is out, existing cpu.gpu etc will be outdated, beside, all the 7 different verison of OSs are on one disc, and i don't see discount for untimate edition - them again i am expecting so much...

Collapse -
Upgrade website
by js8425 / November 14, 2006 8:59 AM PST

Is there an addy for the upgrade site yet? Thanks. John

Collapse -
Upgrade site?
by John.Wilkinson / November 14, 2006 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrade website

The forms you need to fill out for an upgrade to Windows Vista are included with qualifying new computers and OEM copies of Windows XP. When you redeem your Vista Coupon (between the date of general availability and March 31, 2007) you will be mailed a DVD containing an upgrade of Windows Vista along with your product key. You don't do this online or download the ISO, so I'm not really sure which site you are referring to. The official Windows Vista, though, can be found by clicking here.

John

Collapse -
can it work?
by planegear / November 18, 2006 12:39 AM PST

i have windos 2000 pro. i would like to upgrade it to windos vista or windows xp home. how can i do it if i can.

thank you

Collapse -
Upgrading...
by John.Wilkinson / November 18, 2006 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: can it work?

As a Windows 2000 Professional user you are eligible for the discounted Upgrader's price on Windows Vista. However, if you wish to go from 2000 to Vista you would have to perform a clan installation, which means backing up all of your files, wiping the drive clean, and reinstalling everything.

The cheapest route you can go, which also happens to let you simply upgrade and not have to start with a clean slate, would be to purchase an OEM (NOT retail) copy of Windows XP Professional (32-bit edition) from newegg.com or other authorized resellers. That comes with a coupon for a free copy of Windows Vista...all you'd have to pay is S&H. (Look for confirmation that the copy is eligible for a Vista upgrade at the time of purchase.) Once you receive your copy of XP you could upgrade to it and then upgrade to Vista if/when you're ready starting January 30th. All together you're looking at around $150.

I have three notes, though:
1.) With OEM copies you are not permitted to transfer the license from one computer to another. The second the motherboard changes your XP and Vista licenses would be invalid.

2.) You would not be allowed to install the copy of Vista on any computer except that which you installed the OEM copy of XP.

3.) As a Windows 2000 Pro. user you cannot upgrade to XP Home or Media Center, so XP Pro. is your only option.

When it comes time to upgrade to Windows XP, click here for a guide.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
thank you
by planegear / November 18, 2006 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrading...

thank you for helping me John

Collapse -
(NT) Just a reminder to all those interested.
by John.Wilkinson / December 24, 2006 1:44 PM PST
Collapse -
A Little Confusion
by judgejeremy / January 10, 2007 10:00 AM PST

I'm interested in upgrading my XP Home Edition into Vista Home Premium. Does this upgrade offer apply to ANY XP Home OS being used if it was manufacture installed on my computer? (Meaning I bought it with XP Home) Or only the people with those specific dates are eligible for the upgrade? Basically, I want to know if I can get the $79 version of Windows Vista Home Premium if I bought my system in 2003.

Collapse -
FYI: Deal ends tomorrow!
by John.Wilkinson / March 14, 2007 7:20 AM PDT

If there is a computer still available with Windows XP installed that you have your eye on, be aware that the Vista Express Upgrade deal ends tomorrow!

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.