AVG forum

General discussion

"Free" AVG 9.0--downloaded, installed, and disappeared!

by Koukla2k / November 10, 2009 8:55 PM PST

I have a Compaq PC, running Windows Vista. Followed links for free AVG AV software, but it wasn't really free. I completed the offer for a product that would then enable me to get the 9.0 for free; downloaded and ran installation, and now I can't find the program anywhere. I've searched under everything I can think of. In my list of programs, there is nothing listed with today's date for installation. Interestingly, it shows that I supposedly installed some Office components today--four hours later than it is currently!

I've read about the problems with the program running in the background and causing trouble while comp is asleep or off, so I really want to find this program so I can delete it if any problems occur. I've never had a program disappear on me before, epecially after it has been installed.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Free" AVG 9.0--downloaded, installed, and disappeared!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Free" AVG 9.0--downloaded, installed, and disappeared!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's see if we can find out what happened
by Jiri_AVG AVG Staff / November 11, 2009 4:24 PM PST

If AVG was correctly installed, there should remain an icon on your Desktop (AVG 9.0), in your Programs menu (Start > All Programs) and there should be an AVG folder in Program Files (e.g. C:\Program Files\AVG).

If you check whether there is at least one of those present and let us know, it would be very appreciated.

In case AVG wasn't installed properly, you might need to re-run the download and installation again, just to be sure.

Well, let us know your findings, hope we can sort this out quickly.

Collapse -
AVG 9.0 Download
by blkpantha / January 5, 2010 11:15 AM PST

I have been trying, since 11/24/09, to get someone to help me with the problems I have been having since I downloaded the 30 day free trial of the paid version of AVG 9.0 I have given your people everything they have asked of me and no results! When I ask for a phone #, of someone I can call and complain about getting no help, I get nothing. Why can I not be allowed to talk to a real person at AVG. or CNET?

Collapse -
Still can't find it
by Koukla2k / November 27, 2009 8:32 PM PST

I've searched my entire computer files and found several references to AVG, all of which are just pages re downloads, product support [which costs 49.99], installation [which didn't work again]. I think I'll buy another brand, one that offers free product support. Thanks for your suggestions.

Collapse -
by Dusan_AVG / November 28, 2009 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Still can't find it

I would like to inform you that paid AVG product does offer a free support via email.

Also free AVG version offers support via these forums and on the AVG forums.

Your description of installation seems quiet unusual, please always make sure that you download files from trusted sites.

I would recommend either to download from Cnet or use full installation file available here:
(second item)

If you decide to give the installation another try feel free to post here again should there be any issues or should you have more questions.

Collapse -
Extreme Problems w/ AVG
by operagal / December 5, 2009 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Still can't find it

I have an HP Pavillion laptop running Vista. I've used AVG Free successfully for several years... but since I attempted to upgrade to v9 I've sought a divorce. I downloaded and installed v9. It was fine. Then it disappeared. I attempted to download again from the cnet site multiple times (>10). I realized that if you do what you've always done, you're going to get what you always got! So then I tried to download from the AVG site... multiple times... w/ no success. I would get a msg stating that it downloaded but could never find it. I chg'd the destination folder several times... including sending it to my desktop. No success.

So I gave up & decided to try another recommended product, Avast. But it wouldn't download either. I felt it had something to do w/ AVG... so I visited forums on CNET & the AVG site. I found that there was an issue. I removed a file in the AVG Free v8 folder (can't remember which one) and rebooted. It stated to delete a couple of folders after reboot but, my machine would not allow me to do so even tho I'm the administrator.

I was finally able to download & install Avast. But AVG 8 is still affecting Outlook. My system will not allow me to delete the program but now when I open Outlook... & every time I click a different msg... I get an error msg that an add-in cannot be loaded. It is probably the file I deleted. So, like many divorces, this nightmare isn't over yet.

If anyone else has experienced this issue, I would really appreciate some guidance.

Collapse -
In Case You're Interested
by operagal / December 5, 2009 7:53 AM PST
Collapse -
by Dusan_AVG / December 6, 2009 4:29 AM PST

Did you try to run the remover tool mentioned in the post you have linked?
It should remove all parts of AVG including the Outlook plugin.
Sometimes it is neccessary to run the remover multiple times. (Run it once, wait untill restart or restart manually and run it again afterwards).

Collapse -
Downloading Avg 9.0
by blkpantha / December 7, 2009 4:52 AM PST

I have microsoft windows Vista. Have been running free Avg 8.5 for almost 2 years with no problems. When informed it was being up graded to 9.0 I decided to try the paid version, with a 30 day free trial. That was on 11/24/09 and my computer has been screwed up since then. At first I received a message telling me it expired on 12/24/09 and then nothing. I have no anti virus of any kind. It tells me installation was not complete but will not let me down load or remove. Have been in contact, 20 or more times with no result. When I try to contact Corp offices to complain, there is no listing! I am ready to explode. Can any one give me a 3 to call. Appreciate any help at all.

Collapse -
Re: Downloading Avg 9.0
by Ondrej_AVG / December 7, 2009 4:45 PM PST
In reply to: Downloading Avg 9.0
Collapse -
Downloading Avg 9.0
by blkpantha / December 8, 2009 5:28 AM PST

I have no other security at the time. Since I tried to download Avg9.0, The paid version with the 30 day free trial,It refuses to let me download anything. I cannot open attachments, nor send any. It won't even allow me to get the remote support from Avg. This has been since 11/24/09. I have lost track on how many e-mails I have sent and received to AVG support and nothing works. When I ask for a phone # for Avg Techs. Corp office, to complain, they refuse!, and when I did get an address and called information for the #, there was none. I have HP compac, with Windows Vista. I still have free AVG 8.5 in my menu but when I click it on it tells me installation failure, and when I try to re-install its asks for a password, which AVG says is impossible. It also refuses to let me send to support, any of the information it requests. If anybody has a phone # for the Corp. Office would appreciate hearing from you.

Collapse -
Re: Downloading Avg 9.0
by Ondrej_AVG / December 8, 2009 5:57 PM PST
In reply to: Downloading Avg 9.0

if files disappear after downloading, please read my previous post with suggested links. Please try to fully uninstall AVG from your computer to restore some functionality.

Which installation failure? (what is showed)
Password is really not needed to install AVG locally.

Collapse -
Download Avg 9.0 Anti-Virus
by blkpantha / December 9, 2009 1:53 AM PST

I have Avg Toolbarinstall, on desk top. I open and get Set-up-AVG Security Tool bar. It says welcome to the AVG Security Toolbar setup Wizard. This will install AVG Security Tool-bar 2.506.014.001 on your computer. Click next to continue. Next I get License Agreement. I hit accept the agreement, then next and thats when I get password, this installation is password protected, says please provide the password, then click to continue. Whenever I would open my browser, I would get Avg not connected to system. When I hit details I get this message. "Error:@AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %File%="C:\ProgramFiles\AVG\AVG8"@AVGErrorCode_0x0020" When they would ask for this to be sent to them I could not because I can't send or open any attachments, no matter what they tell me to do. Now since I have asked for AVG Techs. Corp. address or phone # to complain, they not refuse to answer my e-mails. Somebody out there must know where in the hell AVG Corp. is located. Please help because I have no anti-Virus running at all and It won"t let me download any other Anti-Virus out there! Like I said, this has been since 11/24/09

Collapse -
AVG 9.0 Download.
by blkpantha / December 9, 2009 1:58 AM PST

Sorry for spelling in previous message. I know better to type when I am angry. It is suppose to say they refuse to answer my e-mails now!

Collapse -
Re: AVG 9.0 Download
by Ondrej_AVG / December 9, 2009 5:09 PM PST
In reply to: AVG 9.0 Download.

please provide us with some "AVG#" numbers of your communication to check them.

Else the download issue:
- please remove this file from AVG program folder "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll" (for 64bit systems "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll") and check the download again.

How to uninstall AVG:
- Download AVG uninstall/cleanup utilty and run it ( if running Vista or Windows 7: remember to right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator"):

- After restart please remove these folders*:
C:\Program Files\AVG or C:\Program files(x86)\AVG (for 64bit OS)

To install paid AVG please use installation file from this location as your described is not the correct one:

Check it once again.

Thank you

* Some files or folders could be hidden by default. This can be changed in Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Show hidden files and folders.
(The location and names can vary, depending on the operating system version).

Collapse -
AVG 9.0 Download Problems
by blkpantha / December 10, 2009 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: AVG 9.0 Download

My case # with AVG Support is, AVG#0000132357

Collapse -
AVG 9.0 download problems
by blkpantha / December 10, 2009 6:53 AM PST

I found another avg case file, AVG#0000129175

Collapse -
AVG is a great free download
by computer-cowboy / December 11, 2009 11:32 AM PST

I went to Yahoo answers and followed the bunny trail to this link:

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage it will seem like you will have no choice but to download the upgraded version but you can download the basic no frills version... there will be a comparison column and at the bottom are the prices... click on the free one and you are good to go. you will have a preliminary download to set up the real download that could take a while depending on your connection speed. when the download is completed, go to your search menu and go to files... type in AVG 9.0 and when it is found, right click on it to run...or you could just open it and there will be an icon to start or install.when you are at this step the license stuff comes up and you are in the home stretch and it will download some third party stuff.

another free great download is something for personal finance...

if you have a credit card account you need to treat your charges as "income" since the accounts are set up as accounts that you have money in and a credit card is where you are using money you are borrowing. treat your payments to your credit cards as expenses since you are paying down your balance.

I hope this helped

Collapse -
AVG Sucks as a free download or as a paid download.
by blkpantha / December 22, 2009 8:26 AM PST

I have tried everything in the world, to rid my computer of AVG 9.0, the 30 day trial version. Nothing works. Everytime you e-mail AVG, you get a different person, and they all just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. None of them take the time or effort to read your previous e-mails. I down loaded AVG 9.0, from CNET and I will never download anything from there again. I have no anti-virus. I cannot open attachments nor send them. I have never been so disapointed in anything in my life! In both the product and the lack of assistance in helping with the problem.

Collapse -
by Dusan_AVG / December 23, 2009 9:13 PM PST
Collapse -
AVG 9.0Download is a rip off
by blkpantha / December 24, 2009 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstallation

I have sent at least 20 to 30 e-mails to Support@avg.com, and they are worthless. They keep telling you the same thing over and over and do not listen to your input. Yesterday, they told me 3 different times that I never gave them my license #, which I have done over a dozen times. I sent it again they ask for it again. Then they tell me my e-mail address has changed and thats whats causing my problem. I have had the same address for 3 years. The license# that they gave me but say they don't know what it iss, is the following(9I-ASXNN-X4WGN-MOXFR-TLRTX-3BHUM-NEAJ)G#0904294613, AVGCASE# 0000132357. Another CASE# they gave me is 0000129175 It has been one month, to the day, that I downloaded AVG 9.0 from CNET and my computer has been screwed up every since. They did tell me I could have someone fix their mistake For me, starting at $49.99. I don't know what I can do but I will start with the FCC, consumer fraud, etc, etc, until they do whats right.

Collapse -
AVG 9.0 Download is a rip-off.
by blkpantha / December 31, 2009 6:42 AM PST

I have been trying since 11/24/09 to get help, to no avail,for problems with AVG. I have given your people all the information they requested and I receive no response. I try to find someplace I can call with a complaint, and absolutely no one from avg support will give me a phone # to call! Same with CNET. Its like these 2 organizations are being run out of somebodies garage. Why Can I not get a Corp. Phone # for either one of these?

Collapse -
AVG rip-off
by rutswagger / August 7, 2012 3:23 AM PDT

I agree, AVG is a rip-off. Won't find a Google redirect virus, unable to contact for help, unable to log-in, all with a purchased version. Frustrating.

Collapse -
Most protection software misses malware like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2012 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG rip-off
Collapse -
RE: AVG rip-off
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / August 8, 2012 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG rip-off

Hi rutswagger,

Please feel free to contact AVG customer care using any of the available avenues which suits you most. Here you can find the main support gateway.

If you wish to troubleshoot the infection in forums, we invite you to describe the situation in AVG Forums in details.

If you'd like to troubleshoot it rather here in this forum, please provide us with both GMER scan results and an msinfo output. As this forum does not support file attachments, please upload the files to an online storage service and provide us with a link to the uploaded archive.

Thank you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.